Poll: Do you think Bonecarver is a good idea?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

New profession; Bonecarver?

While reading the thread http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=71394.30 yesterday I came up with the idea of a new profession. I will quote myself:

Think easier. What else that meat and skinn is there on the animals you skinn? Bones damnit. A new profession that can use the bones for various items such as bows, crossbows and staffs.

The bones can drop from skinning like gems do for mining. Like ribs and bones are white items while items like spines and skulls might be green or blue.

For example, to make a bow you take; two ribs, some leather to attach them in the middle and thread. Skulls can be used for maces, offhands, maybe even as helmets. Spines can be used as staffs and such. Regular bones might just be base components to keep things together.

Maybe I exaggerated my idea now, but well, I do honestly like an profession like this.

So I wanted some more opinions about it. What do you think?

Edit:

As many people are mentioning, woodcrafting is a profession which will likely be implented some day. Though that would require a new gathering profession as well and that would also leave skinning in it's current state were it do only truly benefit one profession.

What I tried to do is make skinning more viable as well as making a profession who can create items no other profession can create, in other words; staffs, bows, crossbows, totems, idols and sigils and better wands.

Of course other items could be crafted with this as well, maybe mail and plate armor, arrows, shields, offhands, trinkets and necklaces.

Do we really need a profession which changes the game completley? I find it hard to PvP with PvE-glyphs just because the glyphs do really matter.

This is a basic profession which allows the creation of yet uncraftable items.
    Vol'jin fanboy

Brudish

Re: New profession; Bonecarver?

No thanks.

hell, i like it

Skulls and staffs generally go well together. You get my vote.

10+ Year Old Account

People saying no, may I ask why? Or is it just that you are afraid of new stuff?
    Vol'jin fanboy

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Best proff idea so far, nice work
    Nope.

Indeed, definately one of the better proposals of a new profession.
    Quote Originally Posted by akav
    Rihanné crits your hopes and dreams for 9999999(99999overkill).
    Your hopes and dreams die.

The items proposed from bones can already be covered by the current professions.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMage
    Best proff idea so far, nice work
    Hi

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

I think it's a great idea, at least someone out there is thinking

Cheers, makes sense and good use of the underused skinning prof.
    4 8 15 16 24 32

Deleted

It's just very sparse information. I would like to see more nuance to it before I'd give my opinion. For example, other items made - other than staves and (cross)bows, like consumables. And where you can get the bones from? Different kind of bones, like there are different kinds of leather. And if you see both the gathering and creating (like respectively skinning and leatherworking for leather) part as one profession, like Engineers can disassemble various mechanical mobs.

This seems like a very good idea,

And what's more, with skulls you could also make wands.

As the only profession that makes wands atm is enchanting, and they aren't exactly useful in high level content

great idea man expand on it a little but hey at least your creative and came up with what u did already. TBH I cannot think of any profession that they could realease with the new xpac if going to be one the

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by jurucic
    great idea man expand on it a little but hey at least your creative and came up with what u did already. TBH I cannot think of any profession that they could realease with the new xpac if going to be one the
    Glyphs (along with Jewelcrafting) were also a completely new concept which nobody saw coming. I believe there could be more. But I agree, currently the only thing professions can't make properly are (cross)bows, wands and staves. But not all have to be 'bone- or skull-related', I think.

I actually like it, I'm just not getting how it'd work. Are you saying it'd drop from Skinning meaning Bonecarving is a new proff to carve the bones, or you need Skinning and Bonecarving to get bones?... 'Cuz honestly I think we need another proff that uses leather before another gathering proff, since the other gathering ones have 2.

If you mean Bonecarving as a building proff that relies on skinning... I like it. Sounds like a blend of Engineering, Leatherworking and Blacksmithing. I mean I'd expect Bonecarving to make stuff like the Faintly Glowing Skull, and gear with similar looks to Angry Dread or Gladiator's Dreadplate Helm.

Meh, I think it could work. Or make it a Skinning spec.

15+ Year Old Account

I like the idea, it uses Skinning as a gathering profession and it creates Staves, Bows, and Crossbows; items which no other profession can create.

You've got my vote.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

i like it

Brudish

Ok, I said no becuase the stuff that you suggested is already covered or can be covered by current professions.

Or they can also be done by the wood crafting profession that everyone keeps suggesting but gets flamed anyway.

Deleted

I've little doubt that the next profession will fit into something that's currently unforeseeable and isn't even in the game yet, TBC had gem slots, Wotlk brought glyph slots.