[BoA] Weapons + Leveling

I will be starting a rogue soon. I already have the leather shoulders, but was curious about weapons. I was told combat is still the best leveling spec, but i'm unsure. That aside, even if it combat, there is only a Mh weapon sold via emblems. The other weapon is WG token rewards which i do not even have close enough.

So, should i use the Mh sword and one-hand dagger, or just pick up a green sword for my Oh while leveling? If combat isn't the favorable spec, I would love to hear it and what BoA items are tied to said spec.

Best regards,
    Welsh

Re: [BoA] Weapons + Leveling

my personal preference would be to take the boa sword and find offhands where you can.

The emblem sword + dagger if you've got enough emblems for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Macgyver
    I will be starting a rogue soon. I already have the leather shoulders, but was curious about weapons. I was told combat is still the best leveling spec, but i'm unsure. That aside, even if it combat, there is only a Mh weapon sold via emblems. The other weapon is WG token rewards which i do not even have close enough.

So, should i use the Mh sword and one-hand dagger, or just pick up a green sword for my Oh while leveling? If combat isn't the favorable spec, I would love to hear it and what BoA items are tied to said spec.

Best regards,
    Welsh
    Pick up 2 daggers and spec CQC. works fine. And honestly, the BoA weapons are OP... Mobs die really quick if you have them. personally I even got the BoA bow (from leveling my hunter...)

Those all are nice. I literally needs to catch up my weapon and picklock skill as I level too fast. (questing + little grinding)

Doesn't matter too much which ones you pick. And dual daggers you can try out mut. while leveling.

I would suggest dual daggers.

As a general rule you should not go combat with dual daggers as the main hand weapon does far to little damage per hit, which is whats counts in combat. Now of course this only becomes a major factor lower down the talent tree you go and the BoA weapons are much better than any greens so there would be some validity in going down this route at least for a while. Sword and dagger is much the same though, you'd only be able to get a talent bonus on one of the weapons not both, so you'd do more damage going mutilate (same speed to level in my view just not able to kills lots of mobs at one time so more 'risky' and not so good at 'grinding').

If however you are looking to lvl to 80 with these BoA weapons (and why wouldn't you), my view would be in the long run get the BoA Main Hand sword and then get what ever off hand swords (or of course axe after 3.2) you can whilst leveling. They are usually nice and cheap in the AH so getting a new one every 5-10 levels is not going to cost much and do better damage at higher levels. Also in that time you may well have enough WG tokens to get a OH sword/axe anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Taraxacum
    As a general rule you should not go combat with dual daggers as the main hand weapon does far to little damage per hit, which is whats counts in combat.
    The dmg only matters for Sinister strike. (and that's like 20-30% of total dmg? may be?)

As DPS wise, it's roughly the same. Although the slower weapons has a higher proce chance for (main hand) weapon of poison. But that again, shouldn't make that big of a difference.

With CQC benefitting both hands if you use dual daggers, the gap becomes less of an issue. Especially BoA dagger isn't bad compared to blues swords you can get while leveling.

(since there isn't a fast sword for offhand, can't go dual sword for sword spec, or combat potency will be gimped.)

Those factors above, makes dual BoA dagger about equal and may even pull up ahead of sword / dagger.

If however you are looking to lvl to 80 with these BoA weapons (and why wouldn't you), my view would be in the long run get the BoA Main Hand sword and then get what ever off hand swords (or of course axe after 3.2) you can whilst leveling. They are usually nice and cheap in the AH so getting a new one every 5-10 levels is not going to cost much and do better damage at higher levels. Also in that time you may well have enough WH tokens to get a OH sword/axe anyway.
    /shrug the point of BoA weapon is to dont' have to worry about looking in AH ever so often. Because if everything is ideal, you technically should do more dmg with every BoE epic sword at your level compared to BoA MH sword. I don't know about your server, but mine has *very few* nice weapon below 70. You are lucky to find more than 10 swords (including greens) from 60-68ish in AH. And a good number of those with weird stats like spirit and int.

And Why would anyone use BoA sword at level 80? Get a crafted epic, it's cheap and is better than the BoA weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldTree
    The dmg only matters for Sinister strike. (and that's like 20-30% of total dmg? may be?
    Maybe I have this totally wrong then but I was under the impression that the 'per hit' damage was a factor in much more than Sinster Strike. I would of expected it to become a factor in all the burst abilities combat has as well.

Adrenalin rush - where you get to do a load more SS than normal.
    Killing Spree - where you get lots of very quick white attacks.

Both of these will gain a fair amount by having a 'harder hit', it is also the fact that it is these very abilities that make leveling quicker/easier with combat. I bet you any money, when leveling, KS makes up a much higher percentage of damage than it ever would in a raid!

I would agree with what your saying to a certain extent if levelling where done in instances but it's the burst that makes combat more effective at levelling so my personal choice would be to make the most of it. At lower levels I do think there would be very little difference but once your looking around the 60+ region it will become more noticeable. As with everything though it depends on your individual server and AH what the market is like, and also how many instances you may do whilst levelling as there are some sword drops in those which cost nothing!

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by WorldTree
    The dmg only matters for Sinister strike. (and that's like 20-30% of total dmg? may be?)
    And using a dagger would gimp your SS by more than 5%, essentially negating CQC's bonus.

I'd recommend a sword/dagger combo with nothing in combat. Just take 2/2 imp SS and fill out assn until you can respec to Mut or get adrenaline rush and stay combat.

grab sword mH, dagger oH go combat spec. You will level fast as shit.
    I want to have a child and use it as a pulling tool in dungeons.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Thanks for this thread. My lvl 64 Rogue was struggling for a weapon and now has the BoA sword (Venerable Dal'Rends...) It doubled my gimped dps. Wish I had more emblems or shards for the dagger too.

Which collect quicker, the emblems or shards?

Am I right in that these BoAs cannot be enchanted? Tried an enchant and ... no go.
    If two people are exactly alike, one is not necessary.

get badge dagger and stone dagger. put fiery weapon on them. enjoy how fast you level.

They can be enchanted with Vanilla enchants. Crusader and Agi are your two choices.

i just ground up the tokens for the off-hand pvp sword with the awesome proc on it it only took about a week to grind up cuz u get 3 tokens off every boss and u can run like 3-4 heroics during WG if u have a tank or a healler might be hard if ur a DPSer
    World of Warcraft has just as much right and responsibility to create new lore just as the old Warcraft games and books did.

Fucking deal with it.

The Thrash Blade is not a good offhand. Get the shard dagger instead.

I for one is a lvl 70 rogue alt started about 3 weeks ago from scratch and leveling on raiding offnights and currently clearing ulduar 25s in 1 night with 5/9 hardmodes. I kinda have 3 80s and accumulated enough EoH for the BoA Sword (MH) and Dagger as OH and took the BoA shoulders for the inc xp. I put 15 agi on each weapon and had some pretty fast kills from 1-55.

On lvl 56 I just ran Ramparts/BF/SP and BF from 56-62 with my friend's feral druid and get armor upgrades from there and had it enchanted and gemed with uncommon Wotlk gems and AP chants on the gear. It estimated around 4-5 runs per level if u have a Prot Paladin to run you would the better. I just practically soloed everything in Zangarmarsh & Hellfire then @ 65 went to BEM then finish off with Nagrand till I 68.

Then got the blue item quest rewards from Borean Tundra & Coldarra (nexus) quests then just quest from there then enchanted them again with Wotlk chants. I bought a BoE bracer (vrykul) thats abt it till i hit 70. I am pretty sure id be using the gear i am using now till I hit 80. @ 80 i have Signet of Edward Odd, Surge Needle Ring, Death-Warm belt, footpads of silence, DCG, spaulders of egotism, Gloves of Fast reactions, Protohide leggings, Spineslicer, Nypmh Neck, shattered cloak, pretty much almost BiS gear ready for me come 80 ;D Yes i have around 85K gold courtesy of TBC arena runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Joined
    I for one is a lvl 70 rogue alt started about 3 weeks ago from scratch and leveling on raiding offnights and currently clearing ulduar 25s in 1 night with 5/9 hardmodes. I kinda have 3 80s and accumulated enough EoH for the BoA Sword (MH) and Dagger as OH and took the BoA shoulders for the inc xp. I put 15 agi on each weapon and had some pretty fast kills from 1-55.

On lvl 56 I just ran Ramparts/BF/SP and BF from 56-62 with my friend's feral druid and get armor upgrades from there and had it enchanted and gemed with uncommon Wotlk gems and AP chants on the gear. It estimated around 4-5 runs per level if u have a Prot Paladin to run you would the better. I just practically soloed everything in Zangarmarsh & Hellfire then @ 65 went to BEM then finish off with Nagrand till I 68.

Then got the blue item quest rewards from Borean Tundra & Coldarra (nexus) quests then just quest from there then enchanted them again with Wotlk chants. I bought a BoE bracer (vrykul) thats abt it till i hit 70. I am pretty sure id be using the gear i am using now till I hit 80. @ 80 i have Signet of Edward Odd, Surge Needle Ring, Death-Warm belt, footpads of silence, DCG, spaulders of egotism, Gloves of Fast reactions, Protohide leggings, Spineslicer, Nypmh Neck, shattered cloak, pretty much almost BiS gear ready for me come 80 ;D Yes i have around 85K gold courtesy of TBC arena runs.
    I'm sorry. Were you trying to be helpful or did you just feel like flexing your unimportant e-peen?

You're best bet is to get the Sacred Charge, (MH Emblem Sword) and if you have enough emblems the Emblem dagger, too.

As for enchants, if you can afford them then you can either have a static 30 agility split between the two weapons, which isn't bad...

I went for crusader though as until level 60 having it on both really helps, the uptime is nice and the heals you get from the procs help you to grind mobs much more efficiently, ofcourse the downside is that the effect mitigates after level 60, though not by much (60 strength as opposed to 100) and you still get the heals.

If you don't have enough emblems for the dagger then you should run into enough swords to fuel your offhand either by questing or scouting the Auction house.

Look. I said all that without talking about my ulduar achievements or ammount of gold.

I've started leveling another rogue (my 4th) and I picked up the badge sword, the dagger from WG shards and put 15 agi on both. It's worked out really well so far. Once I can pick up mutilate I'll grab the badge dagger and do the same thing. I've leveled all of my rogues different specs so I can get a feel for every play style from early levels on. If this is your first time leveling and you want it to be fast I suggest going Combat Swords. Picking up the badge sword and WG shard dagger until you can pick up sword specialization and then think about picking up the sword from WG. With the chance on hit to grant an extra swing the speed shouldn't matter that much. I remember duel-wielding Blinkstrike for a while back in the day... good times. :P
    "You can make me do it, but you can't make me do it with dignity!"
    - Calvin & Hobbes

So I have taken the “ if you can’t beat em’ , join em’ “ mentality. My lock has been a main forever & I still enjoy it but less so in PVP. Rogues in particular destroy me & I’ve always wanted to try out a rogue. Saw this thread.

I don’t have enough emblems saved up for BoA items so I’ll have to get these via AH , quest rewards , etc.

Can anybody link a very solid build 1-80 ? Part of me wants a fast build , but I think I’d also like to know the class a bit better for PVP purposes which I think is pretty much mostly Assassination.

Thanks

I enjoyed subtlety from 1-50... I'm -sure- it would have been faster to go combat or assassination, but I enjoyed it. Once I could pick up Mutilate I respec'd to get it, and mobs anywhere near my level die while stunlocked. Using 2 BoA daggers and the shoulders.

Overall: go with the spec you'll enjoy most for leveling or it'll get dull and you'll quit. If you really want the fastest leveling, combat is probably best all the way.
    Dear Blizzard,
    Please nerf paper, scissors are ok.
    Sincerely,
    rock