help with my DPS

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...27thol&n=Xevec

Here is my character. Right now, in my guild, the mages are at the lowest of the DPS. The raid consists of mainly attack power people(rogues, DK's, hunters, etc.) On a fight like Ignis, I pulled 3.2k DPS. I was in charge of blowing up adds so I don't know if that truly affected me. Also, there was no boomkin/shadow priest in the raid, so no +hit.

Here is my questions:

1. How can I improve my DPS? Is it my rotation? Is it my gear? With this gear, and the right rotation, what should my theoretical DPS be?

2. The DK who is yelling at our DPS for being bad has this kind of gear

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ol&n=Gragilroa

He is always topping DPS, hitting about 5-6k per fight. Is he beating me because of gear? Do I need 4 piece of T8 to compete?

Please post constructive comments. No things like "you just suck." Explain yourself.

Here is some of my reasons why I think things are wrong:

1. Could be professions. From looking at WoW meters, a lot of the top mages have jewelcrafting, as well as enchanting or tailoring.

2. My trinkets. They are so outdated. I need something like illustration or eye of the broodmother.

3. That one ring, my radiant seal. I should seriously replace it, since it has MP5 on it.

4. The lag I experience? My FPS in a 25 man is about 10. During a boss pull, I can't do anything for about 20 seconds. That is a lot of potential DPS loss.

Re: help with my DPS

You have decent stats. Better than average probably. You're getting no +hit from talents so either try and drop 1.5% hit for other stats and pray you get a spriest/boomkin in the raid, or you need to pick up another 1.5% to be capped.

Your dps is never going to be at the top if you're doing odd jobs that are assigned to you...like picking up adds etc...

The problem with meters isn't the meters - it's the people that treat them like the bible. Your dps will obviously pick up when you get 4pc, but not by 2k.

The other issue with meters in Ulduar is that almost every fight has some sort of gimmick to it - whether it be General and his shadow crash buffs, or XT and the vulnerable heart....and again sometimes there are other things that need to be done than just spamming the boss.

As an example, on Hodir I'm generally around 5th on the meters at the end. But I also have 30% damage done to Flash Freezes. The top 1-4 DPS'ers on the meter have less than 2% damage done to the freezes...go figure.

I would reccomend picking up tailoring at least. Give herbalism to an alt if you have one.

try this spec and glyphs

keep living bomb up and "chase" your fireball with living bomb when you need to refresh or pyroblast when you get the proc... in other words, say you get hot streak... continue casting fireball (you probably already will be by the time you notice the proc) and as soon as fireball goes off, hit pyro... doing this will cause the fireball and pyro to hit at almost the same time just be sure you have a tank that can hold the occaisional boost in threat from doing this

tested on PTR.. chasing like this brings me the highest dps compared to just casting the insta pyro or living bomb whenever (results may vary person to person)
    Oh yes, there is a method to my madness O.o
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    We generally consider 0 / 0 / 71 builds to be a failure.
    ^win

It's not your gear, although I do see an outdated gem you should update on your necklace since Mages do benefit from Spirit quite alot now. Try different specs on target dummies (but don't be put off by the dps your getting because you won't have full raid buffs etc). I see that you stack haste rather than crit. Maybe arcane is ideal for you since haste is used alot more than fire specs.
    85 Mage 85 Paladin 85 Druid

a) The lag/fps issue could be huge, try playing one night at a friend's place or on a different computer if you can to try it out. Back in TBC before coming back to college, i was pulling around 1.8k in places in high end content on spam fights (say like Teron Gorefiend on a night I was lucky enough not to get ghosted), but once I got back up here and got on my apartment complex's crappy, overcrowded connection, my dps dropped to 1.4k or worse on those same fights. Its a big deal. That is lag that is internet based and not hardware based though for me, so your situation might be different.

b) On gimmick fights where you can't just stand and press 3 buttons over and over, of course your dps is going to be lower. And since you're ranged rather than melee, it is often up to you to switch targets back and forth to manage adds, etc. This obvious discrepency between you and your DK guildmate should be taken into account before meters are even looked at. IMO 3.2k on ignis is respectable. You have to stop casting periodically to avoid silence, handle adds, and pop fire ward on occasion. He presses anti magic shield once in a while, but that's it. Who would you say the fight favors?

c) Raid comps can be a mage's best friend or his worst enemy. With no boomkin or spriest, you are automatically down 5% crit and 3% hit. Do you at least have an ele shammy? When you have a melee stacked raid, a funny thing happens... melee does more dps. go figure.

Overall I would present these arguments to your raid DK and if they argue with you, something is probably wrong and you should attempt to find a more reasonable and understanding guild.

just my opinion.
    "Back in my day sonny, when I was God and was worshipped because I raided during Chocolate, the computer monitor punched you in the mouth if you botched your rotation. Things were hard. And I mean harder than hard. I am soo xxx hardcorez xxx. You are a nub, and I am a super elite raider because I happened to play before any expansions. By gosh, I had to walk uphill BOTH WAYS to get to and from orgrimmar. " --The 1337 vanilla player who is inexplicably always better than you. No matter what.

You're gear is fine. You should be able to do more dmg with that gear. Of course it could get better, but its not bad. Fps could be a large issue, maybe rotation. and you aren't hit capped. all these things already stated though. so basically just try to perfect your own rotation/playstyle, maybe if you haven't turned your video settings to the lowest try that. set resolution lower and other settings etc. Read up on some stuff about maximum rotation/when you should be casting things like living bomb and scorch.

Thank you all for your feedback. Cracka_bob, from what I've read elsewhere, there is something called ignite munching. It's where if you use fireball/pyro at the same time, and they both crit, one of the crits will not register for ignite.

I mean, I did come from an arcane spec, but my hit is way too high to consider arcane spec. I would like to go back, but I have to drop that hit for more spell power and haste.

And to answer the question about the elemental shaman, no. There are no elemental shamans in my raid. It just really annoys me because there are warlocks that are getting in like 7th or 8th spot. Of course, they aren't on adds on fights like ignis, or even XT(us mages shouldn't be considered for top DPS on that fight because we are mainly on adds)

Ulduar is rough for most mages. Every once in a while I'll run into one that blows everyone else out of the water but for the most part mages are running around killing adds, breaking constructs, or doing some other goofy ass odd job in Ulduar. It's hard to be compared to the people that get to stand around and stab or just focus on the boss.

Besides any DK that posts meters to raid should be bitch slapped. DKs are the biggest facerollers in this game and each one thinks it's their own personal skill that gets them up at the top. The truth is they are a hero class, they can fall asleep at the boss and still pull down some respectable numbers. Tell your DicK to stfu.

I had a DK telling me (he was the tank in a 5 man) to watch my aggro and then he pulled out a list of top dps'ers and complained mine was crap.

Things like that make you really want to slap someone.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebleed
    I had a DK telling me to watch my aggro
    You know what that means to me...

Nothing. Just ice block when I pull and then yell at the tank for being bad.