Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst

Re: Shadow Priest Survivability Ideas - PvP

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    AFAIK it has the same range as cone of cold, which would be 5-8 yards?
    Its less that cone of cold on live, the buff it to the same range in 3.2 so its like 5 yards which is melee range.

Why not make Dispersion remove slowing effects and also increase move speed by 30%?

30% extra move speed in 6 sec would give you a chance to get away from melees.
    Or make dispersion restore both health and mana like in beta.

Give shadow priest a mini-ms is probably not the right way to go when they need survival.

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    AFAIK it has the same range as cone of cold, which would be 5-8 yards? And while it does have a cooldown, the cooldown is lower than the snare duration so you can apply it again before it runs out, right?

If a 10s slow debuff from mindflay would be overpowered (which I still think it wouldn't), then just let us have a 50-70% slow on Mindblast through some talent. It has a cast time and a cooldown. And hey, against melees we're slowed to 30-50% almost all the time anyway so it would cancel each other out.
    I agree with this, a snare on Mind Blast similar to the talented Frostbolt snare would be appropriate.

I could honestly see the Dispersion health restoration being fairly comfortably made into a Glyph now that the base cooldown has been reduced, like the Evocation glyph.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon
    I would say that would be pretty hard to balance in terms of PVE, making mobs and bosses reset. Something using existing game mechanics, like a snare or a root, might work better.

Shadow Word: Bind

Single target, short cooldown, 1.5 second cast time, 26 yard range with Shadow Reach.

The priest binds his shadow to the targets, stopping both of their movement. If either player removes the effect, the binding is cancelled, restoring freedom to both players. Lasts 6 seconds.

With this, we would be able to hold players still long enough to either set up all of our DoTs on them, or cast a Mind Control so that we can run them away from us. If we cast it right after Psychic Scream, then it would actually have a point, too. The five or ten feet they run would get them out of melee range so we can root them safely.
    You've been watching too much Naruto... But I like the idea!
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Sengura
    You've been watching too much Naruto... But I like the idea!
    Actually, me and my flatmate have been playing the fighting game too much. Still, a shameless ripoff, but it would be an interesting gameplay mechanic.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nixia
    Its less that cone of cold on live, the buff it to the same range in 3.2 so its like 5 yards which is melee range.

Why not make Dispersion remove slowing effects and also increase move speed by 30%?

30% extra move speed in 6 sec would give you a chance to get away from melees.
    Or make dispersion restore both health and mana like in beta.

Give shadow priest a mini-ms is probably not the right way to go when they need survival.
    Having our survivability bound to a 3/2 minute cooldown spell is bound to be fatal. That's the way it is now and that's why shadowpriests suck in pvp. We need survival tools with 30, 45 seconds max cooldown so we can use them often. Not some 3 minute crap that does X, Y AND Z because stuff gets added all the time to it.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

My Ideas...

Sigh...

Dispersion Change - Remove the cooldown glyph, but revert it back to its Beta stage where it restored health and mana. It could even be something like 6% Mana and 4% health or some BS. Everyone who says that it should have an AoE isn't looking at the big picture. It's a defensive spell, not an offensive spell.

Shadow Word Death - Now has an interupt effect. No more then 50% of SW's damage can be absorbed at a time.

Vampiric Touch - Cast time lowered.

Psychic Horror -Cooldown reduced to 1 minute once again. Target no longer has to be in front of you for the effect to function.

Mind Blast - When mind blast crits, your movement speed is increased by 50%.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

Quote Originally Posted by Direshadow
    Dispersion Change - Remove the cooldown glyph, but revert it back to its Beta stage where it restored health and mana. It could even be something like 6% Mana and 4% health or some BS. Everyone who says that it should have an AoE isn't looking at the big picture. It's a defensive spell, not an offensive spell.
    Fine, no AoE. Give it a snare or a speed increase, or a 150% reflective shield the problem is trying to discourage us from being a target while it's active rather than just 'lolwut?' free combo points or time for a ret to pop wings. We self-silence to be a sitting duck.

Shadow Word Death - Now has an interupt effect. No more then 50% of SW's damage can be absorbed at a time.
    Umm... interesting, but casters aren't our problems, nor is absorbing of Death, infact I'd rather use Death on an absorb effect to break it (full damage to a shield) than anything else:

Two scenarios, made up numbers. Let's say you're versus a frost mage with a 2.5k ice barrier (I have no idea how high it really is or whatever). Your Shadow Word: Death does 2k and your Mind Blast does 4.
    You burst them together and all of a sudden you do 6k worth of damage within 1.5sec+1GCD.
    Mind Blast first breaks the barrier, and does 1.5k damage. Death does 2, target's left with 3.5k worth of damage, you have 2.

Death first does 2k on the barrier (no REAL damage, no backlash). Mind blast does 500 on the barrier, and 3.5k on the target.

Same damage output, just suddenly like that you haven't hurt yourself in that same timeframe. Making Death ignore absorbs is dumb, you should be using it to break the absorbs in the first place.

Vampiric Touch - Cast time lowered.
    *Shrug* Okay. Not sure how much you can push this until it's instant, and we don't want that. Devouring Plague just got a huge buff.

Psychic Horror -Cooldown reduced to 1 minute once again. Target no longer has to be in front of you for the effect to function.
    Not sure I like the 360° range, but the cooldown should be one minute for a 5 second disarm.

Mind Blast - When mind blast crits, your movement speed is increased by 50%.
    Lemme share something with you: We don't crit in PvP!
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

I was thinking of this at work yesterday, dispersion should be 3% mana for 12 seconds, the first 6 seconds are still regular dispersion, but after that you go into a middle stage where your particles are still realligning and take no pushback from damages, still cant be snared, rooted etc, and take 80% damage at 7secs, 60% at 6secs etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Two scenarios, made up numbers. Let's say you're versus a frost mage with a 2.5k ice barrier (I have no idea how high it really is or whatever).
    If mage is well geared, talented and glyphed, around 8k damage absorb.

Quote Originally Posted by Meri
    If mage is well geared, talented and glyphed, around 8k damage absorb.
    Wow. Good to know, thanks for that.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton
    I was thinking of this at work yesterday, dispersion should be 3% mana for 12 seconds, the first 6 seconds are still regular dispersion, but after that you go into a middle stage where your particles are still realligning and take no pushback from damages, still cant be snared, rooted etc, and take 80% damage at 7secs, 60% at 6secs etc...

I assume that for the second half, you are not silenced? Because if you are, this is far forse for both PVP and PVE than the current version.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    infact I'd rather use Death on an absorb effect to break it (full damage to a shield) than anything else:

Two scenarios, made up numbers. Let's say you're versus a frost mage with a 2.5k ice barrier (I have no idea how high it really is or whatever). Your Shadow Word: Death does 2k and your Mind Blast does 4.

You burst them together and all of a sudden you do 6k worth of damage within 1.5sec+1GCD.
    Mind Blast first breaks the barrier, and does 1.5k damage. Death does 2, target's left with 3.5k worth of damage, you have 2.

Death first does 2k on the barrier (no REAL damage, no backlash). Mind blast does 500 on the barrier, and 3.5k on the target.

Same damage output, just suddenly like that you haven't hurt yourself in that same timeframe. Making Death ignore absorbs is dumb, you should be using it to break the absorbs in the first place.

wouldnt it be more profatible to just dispell the barrier...odds are you open with vt.swp. dp ve mb swd? i always dispell after vt, dp swp and ve are applied. narrow down the buffs the have so when the sheild comes up pop there it goes. isnt it more profitable b/c we rip off 2 good stats to apply full dmg to them...dispell costs 14% base manamind blast 19% swdeath 12% base mana. mb (5.5sec speced cd swd 12 sec cd) if i am gonna use those i would like to see that the full ammount goes thru bc being flat footed and running round dosent seem fun to me. mind flay against a mage is not a good idea. and a priest will be mana burning you.

however i have found a nice lil trick for any priest to use with mages after they blow counter spell if they toss a mana sheild up it is a good idea to mana burn it away for the sole fact it make them burn more mana.... speced arcane its 1:1 so you burn 2000 mana they would have taken 1000 dmg so now they just lost 3000 mana not bad to cripple them

and if not speced well its 1:1.5 making it more devistating. ice barrier dispell manasheild burn it.

priests if disc u have to burn/break thr it tho but in hateful gear its back in 13 secs u have 1 sec to spare to sneek a swdeath in if u want full dmg, and mb will be absorbed...

but like it has been said casters are not the prob melee is

Glyph of Dispersion.
    You now gain an additional 2% mana while Dispersed, in addition you also gain 6% of your total health for every 1 second you are Dispersed.

Silence.
    Silences the target for 5 seconds. If used on a casting target, it will counter the enemy's spellcast, preventing any spell from that school of magic from being cast for 5 sec.

Psychic Horror.
    Cooldown reduced to 1:25. Disarm effect redesigned. The Disarm function will now start once the Horror effect has finished or has been dispelled

Vampiric Embrace.
    Now off the global cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by iGREASE

Vampiric Embrace.
    Now off the global cooldown.
    No.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Rymezz
    No.
    Yes.

Am I doin' it right?
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

VE with no mana cost and off the GCD sounds like you just macro it to every other cast - and why not twice just to be sure?
    VE - VE - VT
    VE - VE - MB
    etc.

Quite a stupid spell that would be. More reasonable to have it auto-apply on one of the other casts then.

I assume that for the second half, you are not silenced? Because if you are, this is far forse for both PVP and PVE than the current version.
    no, you would no be silenced for the second half, but still get some of the damage reduction each second after you start to reform into shadowform from dispersion

Quote Originally Posted by Rymezz
    No.
    Without any explanation, your opinion is completely worthless.