Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Mage]: Fire in PvP.

I am playing as a firemage in PvP because I enjoy the playstyle. The tree got CC and even some anti-cc abilities (Blazing speed anyone?)

Though there are one thing the tree lacks, survivabilities. Spamming Mana Shield will make you go oom faster than the blink of an eye.

So I was thinking, fire is not only destruction, fire is energy and life. So in other words, fire could bring some heals. So what if we add healing through a certain percentage of the damage done by Living Bomb? That would increase survivability and that would also make the name of Living Bomb a bit more suited.

Yes, I know they recently changed living bomb to be active on several targets at the same time, which kinda ruined my idea a little. Though Living Bomb costs hell of a lot mana, so spamming it on everyone will also make you go out of mana.

So, what do you think? Does it sound good or is it another one of my crazy ideas?
    Vol'jin fanboy

Re: [Mage]: Fire in PvP.

Right now blizzard wants every mage go Frost for PVP , thats why they reduced mana cost of frost hablities and gave us a debuff to use against healers. With the advent 3.2 and resilience changes, Mages wont be able to compete without going OOM. Just imagine arcane or fire trying to take down a druid, who will goo OOM first?

I would really like to have some kind of shield to use as fire, or more Iceblocks whatever that keeps you alive for more than 30 secs.

10+ Year Old Account

I have been thinking, except mana effiency, what is different between the trees? Sometimes it feels like it is ice barrier alone which is the thing that makes frostmages so much better than the other trees in PvP. Ice barrier as a baseline ability? Nah, too strong probably.
    Vol'jin fanboy

I really enjoy fire myself, but yes, Blizzard is pushing frost. Ice Barrier is probably the strongest advantage, but it also works with TTW along with all the Frost Novas.

15+ Year Old Account

nah, what the frost tree has going for it above the other trees is: pet, ranged nova, ranged on command stun, many snares on different DRs, ice barrier, shattered barrier, frostbite, fingers of frost, brain freeze, TtW, icy veins, cold snap, reduced CD on ice block, mana refund on fire/frost absorb.

if that's not enough for ya, then i unno
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    nah, what the frost tree has going for it above the other trees is: pet, ranged nova, ranged on command stun, many snares on different DRs, ice barrier, shattered barrier, frostbite, fingers of frost, brain freeze, TtW, icy veins, cold snap, reduced CD on ice block, mana refund on fire/frost absorb.
    qft. It's not Ice Barrier, it's all the on-command options Frost has. Getting a small self-heal on our LB's won't save Fire; Fire's core problem is the tree has only passive-RNG-defense, which doesn't work on a squishy clothie, instead of activated abilities that can be used intelligently.

I believe fire would have a hell of a lot more success if only they would remove the RNG-procs off Fiery Payback and Blazing Speed, and instead make them activated abilities with a cooldown. A ranged disarm and a sprint. /fixed

Burning Determination is also a joke. If it was, again, an activated ability with a CD - basically, a "Silence Ward" like Priests' "Fear Ward" - people might actually spec it. You might even see a FFB in PvP, god forbid, since we cannot, cannot, let ourselves get locked-out of two trees instantly.

Oh, that and making Firestarter cost no mana. C'mon, we all know half the fun of being a frostie is pulling off an epic pet-nova whilst mad-kiting. It's a fun element and requires skill. Firestarter should be in our PvP rotation and not a mana dump.

EDIT1: Misspelled 'intelligently' ><
    EDIT2: Completely forgot about Burning Determination when I was going off on how our tree's defenses falls on it's own face.

15+ Year Old Account

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?mage...&version=10072

this has always been a favorite fuck around spec of mine (least since i hit 80), and it's very fun to tool around with ppl in BGs and duels. i've never tried to arena with it, so i can't vouch for it there, but it is very fun to use. ice barrier+permafrost+blazing speed is amazing.
    BfA Beta Time

Ah, the ol' elemental spec. It IS fun to fck around with and be totally immune to melee classes. The problem, the reason why it doesn't work in arenas, is any enemy caster will faceroll that spec =( That, and the spec's main nuke is FFB, which is a death sentence if it's interrupted.

15+ Year Old Account

the main nuke is scorch and ice lance, not FFB. who on earth uses FFB for anything non-supercomputermobofdoommustkill related?
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    the main nuke is scorch and ice lance, not FFB. who on earth uses FFB for anything non-supercomputermobofdoommustkill related?
    Gotta said, funniest spec. but feel like Mosquitos bited!
    ---> Heaven rejected me. Hell afraided of me. Now, I'm stuck with humans! <--

Quote Originally Posted by DeOderView
    Gotta said, funniest spec. but feel like Mosquitos bited!
    So true...mega fun spec to play, but there DoTs that hit harder than scorch.

I believe fire would have a hell of a lot more success if only they would remove the RNG-procs off Fiery Payback and Blazing Speed, and instead make them activated abilities with a cooldown. A ranged disarm and a sprint. /fixed
    Totaly agree with you here.

Firey Payback 1min CD but only the disarm effect and can only be use when you below 35%. I also think that the PyroBlast should cost no mana when you at that low hp you liky going to pop mana shield and we all know what happend to our mana if we get hit here.

Blazing Speed 30-40sec CD,,, or?

We could also keep the RNG but then we need better proc like dubble up I dont know but instead of 10% lets make it 20% or more,,,?

Impact is the only RNG I am happy with.

Its mostly ice barrier and mana issues that make Arcane and Fire not viable. You'll run OOM after every kill as Arcane, and Fire is almost as bad. Both require mana shield as your only shield which just adds insult to injury.

I've tried to figure out a fun secondary spec to frost but the downsides to playing other specs are too frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawaam

So I was thinking, fire is not only destruction, fire is energy and life. So in other words, fire could bring some heals. So what if we add healing through a certain percentage of the damage done by Living Bomb? That would increase survivability and that would also make the name of Living Bomb a bit more suited.

Yes, I know they recently changed living bomb to be active on several targets at the same time, which kinda ruined my idea a little. Though Living Bomb costs hell of a lot mana, so spamming it on everyone will also make you go out of mana.

So, what do you think? Does it sound good or is it another one of my crazy ideas?
    To answer your question, I dont think its viable.

It might work under certain scenarios in pvp, specially crowded areas like flags, bridges and control points other than that you will go oom real quick; which as others have pointed out is the problem with arcane and fire.

Arcane is awesome for BG's but its also really expensive and lacks survivability, fire is slow and after a few buttons you are out of cooldowns and unable to survive any incoming dmg(Fireblast, blastwave, blazing speed).

With the changes that are going to be implemented in 3.2, frost is the way to go.

I was happier with impact before the last patch (good during 3.0, 3.1, not so much 3.13 or whatever we're at now), where it procced randomly off of any and all damage done. Always got that with frost so I'd have more stuns than an effing rogue.

Good times, good times.
    This user has been banned.
    But no longer!
    (I have no idea how either happened. Don't ask.)

Arcane is awesome for BG's but its also really expensive and lacks survivability, fire is slow and after a few buttons you are out of cooldowns and unable to survive any incoming dmg(Fireblast, blastwave, blazing speed).
    I have to disagree with you on this point. Of course we lack survivability when we run out of cd but witch class dont do that good example of that is a rogue. As firespec we dont lack cds you forgot the basic mage abilites: blink, frostnova, iceblock and cone of cold. Fire abilites: dragon breath, blast wave and semi rng impact. You have as much cd as frost spec I dont know about acrane know to little about that spec to say anything aobut it.

It have nothing to do with cds here. The main reason why frost do so well compare to fire is that frost can use their abilites at will they dont have to relay on RNG. While fire two most importent defensive spell are base on RNG (Fiery Payback - disarm part, Blazing Speed).

Here is my suggetion of the two spell I quote my self:

Firey Payback 1min CD but only the disarm effect and can only be use when you below 35%. I also think that the PyroBlast should cost no mana when you at that low hp you liky going to pop mana shield and we all know what happend to our mana if we get hit here.

Blazing Speed 30-40sec CD,,, or?
    The mana issue we have as fire maybe change Master of Element up to 40-50% from 30% to much,,,? Empowered Fire up to 4% from 2%,,,

Other thing I just think of back of my head is when you at 35%hp you mana shield cost 60% less on each hit like the acrane shielding,,, haha I just throw out some ideas here so I maybe take it back later

Clueless people.

Frost has shatter combos.
    70% crit chance > resiliance weakened other specs. Frostbite+shatter+fingers+extra pet nova+shattered nova+deep freeze.

Resil screws over any crit reliant class that doesn't have talent mechanics to overcome it.

Fire is the most fun BG spec.

Solution: Fire Barrier absorbs 3300 dmg (Like Ice barrier ) And instead of making the Frostnova ( talented ) it makes a Blastwave :P Would probaly make fire just abit better pvp wise.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account

Maybe they should add an "Ice Barrier" shield for all speccs like:

Arcane Shield - (Absorbs 5% of base health as damage) On break puts the attackers within (5 - 10) yards into an arcane prison, makes them slowed (same functionality as Chains of Ice for DKs) for 6 seconds (10 on PvE targets).

Fire Globe - (Absorbs 5% of base health as damage) On break explodes and dealing 900 - 1200 Fire Damage to all targets within (5 - 10) yards and knocks them back (20 yards?) and daze the targets for 2 seconds (doesnt sound much but 2 seconds can give some breathing time .

These should then be added to the talenttrees at the same tier as Ice Barrier.
    Not sure you all agree, but seems like a bit more survivability.

Solution: Fix Blink 8)