Can you help me compete?

So I'm a shadow priest. Here is my armory: Vexxecon - Cenarion Circle

Ok, now to the situation. I pull, on average, 3k DPS in my 25 man group. 3k is low for my group. I'm barely pulling ahead of the tanks, by a couple hundred DPS. My current rotation(although I've been experimenting with other rotations) is:
    VT, DP, MB, MF for 2 ticks, SWP, MB, MF, MF, VT, DP, MB, MF, MF, MB, MF, MF, MB, MF, VT, DP, and so on

I've also been playing with rebuffing VT every time its up, and have noticed a slight increase in DPS.

Now I ask you, is it my gear, my spec, my rotation, or a nasty combination of the few?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[Edit] Note: My gear is a mix of heroic purps, all the way through Uludar 25 loot. I basically started over from square one as a holy priest in the last patch. =/

Deleted

Re: Can you help me compete?

You should read worshaka's 'shadow DPS 101' post in the stickies in this section.

I'm pretty sure the starting rotation is MB > VT > DP > MF > SwP

only gear optimizatin that i see is to remove that +20 hit enchant from glove and use the right spelldamage one ( reenchant your weapon with the real enchant too ) and resocket your belt ( remove the blue gem there ) with a +9 spelldamage +8 hit rating gem.
    In that way you will cap your hit rating ( 300-20+8+4 socket bonus = 292 )and not "overcap" by load
    change then a red gem for a blue one to reactivate your meta....at least you lost some useless hit rating, lost +10 spellpower from gem and gain +30 from the enchant ( not that this will change alot your dps...but i hate to have some wasted stat ).

As for damage, read the DPS 101 post like the post over mine suggest, use a dot timer and stick with it..
    If you keep not getting why your dps are so low then install shadowfriend addon and try to deep analyze your fight with it ( dot uptime, mb used etc etc )

Ideally you want to be recasting VT with about 1.4 seconds left on it (not compensating for lag of course). The better your DoT uptime, the higher your DPS. Just make sure you aren't reapplying early or you'll lose damage.

Your trinkets are awful, too much haste and too low spellpower. That 108 hit trinket you got cost me 400 dps when i replaced Dying Curse with it. It's incredibly crappy trinket for a SP, the largest increase in dps you'll get will be via changing your trinkets and then reading Worshaka's topic that's stickied.

Quote Originally Posted by syanid
    Your trinkets are awful, too much haste and too low spellpower. That 108 hit trinket you got cost me 400 dps when i replaced Dying Curse with it. It's incredibly crappy trinket for a SP, the largest increase in dps you'll get will be via changing your trinkets and then reading Worshaka's topic that's stickied.
    ok, suggest a item i can change out that is an upgrade that gives me hit to replace that with?

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...ntHorizon.html

I use this for dps (SPriest and boomkin) and like it's simplicity.

In addition to reading about priest "rotations" and spell priority. And hit cap.

Kriis
    [color=blue]This thread has lived beyond its life expectancy. ... It's also met the forum quota for posters insulting the intelligence of their peers to grasp the age-old upper hand in argumentation, I believe officially coined by Plato: "Ur, like, dumb and that's why I'm right." Zarhym

Quote Originally Posted by gagglone
    ok, suggest a item i can change out that is an upgrade that gives me hit to replace that with?
    For Mark of the War prisoner, get dying curse. You should probably be shooting for naxx runs at this point anyways, and theres not nearly the competition for it as there used to be (as most people have acquired or replaced it)

For your extract of necromantic power, grab a sundial off the badge vendor. the extract doesnt proc nearly enough to make it worthwhile for spriests.

Overall tho, your trinkets arent in bad shape for your stage of progression. If you can afford it, you can swap out one of your rings with a Kirin Tor ring and get a leg up when 3.2 hits.

3k isnt "bad" for a spriest, depending on the fight. Spriests lose ground pretty fast on singletarget tank and spanks, but generally pick up speed on doubledotting and trashclearing.

The key to competing as spriest is to make sure you're fully buffed, never die, and cheat when the opportunity arises. (yeah, umm... those hatchlings needed to be trimmed back a little on sarth, honest)

Oh yeah, and I prefer Icewalker on boots for pure dps reasons, even though you're hitcapped, it would allow you to drop a hit piece between the enchant and dying curse.