My mage's progress

I've been playing this mage alt for exactly 3 years now and recently my damage doesn't seem to be up to par with what it should be. Either all my WoW breaks have done something to me or there is something else I'm missing out on.

I've been reluctant to post here about it but I'm taking the plunge and hope I can get some advice on what I need to improve/change.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...halas&n=Aulora

Thanks.

Re: My mage's progress

First of all your gear is decent, not quite good but decent. What you lack is good gems.

Re-gem yourself will make your toon better. And enchant that sword ASAP!

You are almost hit capped considering you always have a SP or boomkin specced IFF with you. Get that 11% if that is the case. If you do not have a shadow priest or an IFF boomkin, get to 14% hit.

Your arcane spec is good, but your fire spec isn't. Take a look at big raiders and copy their builds. There are currently 3 cookie-cutter builds. Frostfire, which is great to begin with and which is the one I suggest to you. You just need 11% hit and some haste/crit.

After you have Arcane, which is the "top DPS" build. You have that build quite right, yet it has a harder play style, requiring you to manage mana efficiently and unload your DPS wisely to time up your mana gems/evocations and not to burst too much and drag aggro.

Last build is fireball. This build requires more hit to get the cap (you need 14%). It also relies on a good crit amount, since a good percentage of your DPS comes from Hot Streak procs. If you can get the hit cap, I suggest you this build, as it can do almost as good DPS as arcane (in theory).

So if you want to go fireball, get that hit cap with enchants/gem, then get some haste/crit. If you want to DPS as arcane, just gem spellpower once you've reached the hit cap. If you want to go as frostfire, after getting that 11% hit, gem for Haste/Spellpower.

Besides of that, doing the good rotations can get you a huge increase of DPS, as well as timing cooldowns, gems, evocation, postions of speed/wild magic.

A good resource for mage theorycrafting is elitistjerks website, you might want to take a look there!

Re: My mage's progress

First of all, thanks for your great advice! I really appreciate it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sucemamarde
    First of all your gear is decent, not quite good but decent. What you lack is good gems.
    That's what you get when you don't have enough time to raid. I will be looking at the gems and try to enchant the sword. I actually forgot about the sword.

Your arcane spec is good, but your fire spec isn't.
    The fire spec was just something I did when I first got the dual spec, I didn't really put much thought into it. I will however take a look at the ej website and make some changes.

After you have Arcane, which is the "top DPS" build. You have that build quite right, yet it has a harder play style, requiring you to manage mana efficiently and unload your DPS
    I like the arcane spec a lot and I quite enjoy it in raids, but it can be tricky at times.

Last build is fireball.
    Fire feels very stale to me. I quite liked it before but not so much now. I will try the frostfire though and see if it changes anything.