Deleted

Curse as Destruction?

I was wondering if it would make sence using curse of elements against bosses, decrease the spell resistance and gives 10% more dmg from spells, does this go for everyone in the raid, etc etc? thank you

new to the warlock class so dont zerg me ;p

Re: Curse as Destruction?

Are you deep destro?
    Deep destro should use curse of elements IF there is no moonkin or unholy death knight in the group.
    If there is, then use curse of doom.

Hybrid felguard/emberstorm, should do the same exept they use curse of agony if there is a moonkin/unholy dk.

Quote Originally Posted by Satoo
    decrease the spell resistance and gives 10% more dmg from spells, does this go for everyone in the raid, etc etc?
    Yes it does.

13%* they removed the talent that improved it and made it baseline 13

I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Sinders

For me, as long as there was another source of CoE effect in the raid, I wouldnt curse at all...

its arguable, and number crunchers would show the DPS to be higher than not using it, but I liked to be able to focus solely on my hard hitting spells, rather than try to find a way to stick in another GCD for a fairly minimal DOT (relatively speaking)

Dont get me wrong... if there was a clear cut window for a instant cast that wouldnt lose seconds getting off a conflag, maintaining immo or spamming incin/chaos, then I would curse. but that was kinda rare.

The only bosses I really made sure COD was up was on razorscale mid way through his floor phase. but well, that was a long time ago and im sure if I still raided, we wouldnt need that extra dps to kill it before 2 lift offs like we did back then.

10+ Year Old Account

As said by all the others, CoE if there's no Unholy DK or Moonkin in the group, otherwise CoD. That's how i do it anyway.
    "It's alive!" - Viktor Frankenstein
    derp.

15+ Year Old Account

Elements is the single biggest caster buff in the game and applies to more than people who like spell power. It also affects Death Knights (diseases/shadow based attacks), Rogues (Poisons), Hunters (Arcane/Explosive shot, stings), and Enh Shamans (Shocks, Stormstrike)

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    Elements is the single biggest caster buff in the game and applies to more than people who like spell power. It also affects Death Knights (diseases/shadow based attacks), Rogues (Poisons), Hunters (Arcane/Explosive shot, stings), and Enh Shamans (Shocks, Stormstrike)
    and ret pals and prolly other people too

I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Sinders

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin

However, Ebon Plague from DK's will override it, and it ties with Earth and Moon from Moonkins. They all do the same thing.

the reduced spell resistance does not work on bosses due to the resistance being lvl based and not just added resistance
    edit: and about curse vs no curse, what are you doing just patchwork? if you gotta move you should cast CoA any ways if its not up and for destro thats why it is easier to put Curse of Doom up as its one GCD for a 'big number' and demo and afliction it does make a difference in dmg, in demo it affects molten core up time and for affliction it affects drain soul dmg. doing good boss dmg isnt all about 'big numbers' or hunters wouldn't put a sting up or mages wouldn't living bomb.

i since i always have either a moonkin or another lock puttin elements on i dont bother doing a curse SINCE my comp is bad and it will actually add to my dps since i dont have to worry about anothe GCD and possible even get a lag spike on it i have done Mim without a curse and i have come top 3 everytime i have done it with curses and i actually move to 4th/5th from it but thats just cuz my comp doesnt like GCD and cast times if i had a better comp i would be 1st nomatter what again for being poor

Quote Originally Posted by Deezlar

its arguable, and number crunchers would show the DPS to be higher than not using it, but I liked to be able to focus solely on my hard hitting spells, rather than try to find a way to stick in another GCD for a fairly minimal DOT (relatively speaking)
    I understand your attitude (though maybe not in this instance), but if you're not following the numbers, then you might as well follow your own prejudice.
    Your comments are duly noted and ignored.
    I punch a hobo every time someone says 'it's not a rotation it's a priority list lol'.

On bosses I personally pop my cd's then Drop Curse of Doom, Corruption, Chaos Bolt, Immolate, then spam Incinerate. I usually get two and on some bosses 3 Cods off. I rarely use Curse of elements unless its requested of me to do so.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

We've got three Destruction 'locks. One always does CoE. I always do CoDoom. The third... depends on what's going on. (The only exception is Vezax, where we switch up the curses a bit.)

In raid (we raid with 2 locks, me being one) i rather use CoW before doom, i get 2 crits and do more damage in 4 sec instead of 1min. And CoE now is about the spell resistance, since the 13% dmg increase can be throw down by unholy DKs. We keep both curses up all the time, its about what it can do for the entire raid, since your dps as destro comes down to the fire spam.

With theoretical infinite mana (its not really infinite but close, I usually lifetap once a boss fight), you start looking at damage per cast time. The damage per cast time of Curse of Doom is really really high. While the dpct of Curse of Agony is much smaller, due to the increased amount of gcds spent casting it over the course of a fight. This is also the reason most destro locks dont cast corruption (unless with forced movement), as its dpct is lower than incinerate.

I try and cast my CoD under the effect of pyroclasm, although im not sure if it effects it or not. I average ~16k CoD ticks on most boss fights, and that can grow very large on damage increase fights.

Either way 16k / 60s = 266.66 dps. It wont kill your dps not casting it, but it helps. Also 16k / 1s gives a damage per cast time of 16k / sec. This is very high, its like an assured crit once a minute.

I know its a little off subject, but curse of elements is amazing in arena if you care about such things.

15+ Year Old Account

You can't look at curses as dps. Elements does zero dps. You have to look at it in terms of % of damage done.

For example, Affliction fully talented with glyph will have Agony do 8% of its dps. Doom will do 4% if used. If you apply Elements, your TOTAL dps goes up by 13%, so it technically does 13% of your dps.

For Destro, Doom will do around 4% or less, which means Elements still comes out ahead by a large margin.

Demo has different problems because of Molten Core procs. Agony results in a lot closer to 13% of their dps because of it.

R.I.P. YARG