Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Disc Priest without PI/PS?

I've had a look around and can't seem to find a topic like this, I even used the search function.

I've been a Disc Priest since TBC, and while I mainly used to do PvP back then, I only do PvE healing now. I much prefer healing as Disc to Holy, even though I know my role in a raid is usually Tank healer, I'm fine with that.

However I've noticed a few different Disc Talent Builds for PvE and thought I might change mine up a bit.

So what I was wanting to know is a Disc Priest build without Power Infusion and Pain Suppression viable? I've currently got both, but while looking at my new build I realised I simply put the points into them without even thinking about it. Then when I did think about it I realised I can't remember the last time I actually used them. This may just me being a bad Disc Priest but I honestly can't remember when I last used it.

The only time I can remember is when raiding I sometimes pop PI onto a Mage/Warlock when Heroism is up so they can do some insane damage, but usually I'm too focused on healing to bother. Again this might just me being bad. Do other Disc Priests use this alot or not at all like me?

Also I put together a rough build without PI and PS, which is mainly focused around Tank Healing as opposed to Raid Healing ---> http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/ba...00000000000000

Any idea's or comments?

Edit: I should point out that the raiding I'm doing at the moment is mainly 10 Man stuff, Naxx/VoA/Sarth for the time being, so I'm not doing Hardmode's in Ulduar 25 or anything like that.

I am Priest - Play Free Online Games

Re: Disc Priest without PI/PS?

PS for bosses like General?
    PI for the imbah caster in raid!

You're ditching PS and PI for 2/2 healing focus?

wat?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerlu
    www.femaledwarf.com

Learn it, love it.

Don't see a single reason to skip PI. It's useful both for yourself and your fellow teammates. PS it really depends on your raid composition and what you are going to do. It's not mandatory but it's useful 99% of the time.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Healing Focus goes back to the days when I used to do PvP, but I think it also has merits in PvE.

If I'm taking raid damage I don't want that to affect my ability to get a big heal off on the Tank(s). The poison clouds on Grobb are a good example. Really any encounter where I might take raid damage could ultimately stop me getting a heal onto someone, which I think is justified for 2 points.

You DONT want to go without PI/PS, I mean Im using em on almost every single boss encounter and I think that they are really powerfull. You just need to use them more ;p

15+ Year Old Account

Unlearn divine fury, put 3 points into spellwarding, voila 2 points for PS and PI.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

I surely agree, rather learn to use the talents than skipping them for a lesser talent

PI is good whenever you want a burst (Emalon anyone?). In pugs i usually PI the caster with the highest dps, as i presume he's the one deserving it the most.

PS is a decent situational spell. Mimiron, Thorim, General and whatnot, several fights where bursts are sudden and cd's are to be popped.

I must admit i never use PI on myself, i made a macro that targets our highest caster dps, and casts it on him, every time it's of cd.

As for pain supression, i originally got it when we first started Sarth 3D and needed an extra cd, since then, i tend to use it on a tank, when the raid healers need a hand to lift everyone up, so the tank will need less heaaling for a few seconds.
    Congratulations, you've conformed to societies idea of a non-conformist!

PS is a must have tanking talent for many encounters that require cooldown rotations to keep the tank alive.

Some priests (me included) only take one point in grace. If you are single tank healing, it'll stack up and stay on anyway, if you are multi target or throwing raid heals, even with 2/2 its hard to keep it stacked on the tank.

Personally I'd also drop Desperate Prayer. While it has its uses, typically you can keep yourself up with binding heal if you plan ahead.

That gives you two points for PS/PI ... BOOM!! I also personally drop the 3 points in focused healing to take 3/3 improved healing (-15% pennance cost ftw)

Probably tons of people already said this, take away 2 points in Divine Fury, 1 in PI, 1 in PS.

I mean was that hard to come at this decision? 5 points in divine fury are completely useless.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i think the casting speed granted by PI doesn't stack with the one granted by BL / Heroism. So, by popping your PI on a caster during BL / Heroism you would only make his spells cost less mana. PS is very very useful, not only on the tank to reduce damage spikes: if you're fast enough, you can use it on a dps who pulled aggro to prevent him from being 1shotted and reducing his threat. He may survive the hit and in the meanwhile, he could pop his "emergency button" or he can be rapidly healed.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Izenhart
    Every point in divine fury is completely useless.
    Fixed.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    Fixed.
    Alot of people are starting to stack haste and take DF to primarily use GH since they GCD cap with FH.

I have Disc as my off-spec, so I often forget to use PI, but that doesn't make them poor uses of talents, it just means I need to get accustomed to watching the cooldown and using it. To remind myself to use PI, I will often announce to the raid when I'm specced Discipline and let the casters fight over who wants my PI, that way I'm getting reminders when it's off CD. As someone else mentioned, it doesn't stack with Heroism, but you'll still generally get at least 2-3 uses out of it in a typical boss fight

PS is also useful in many of the same situations that GS is useful. If you happen to have a DK tank, you may find that you don't use it a whole lot since they have plenty of CDs themselves, but if you're doing a fight like Mimiron with any other tank, it's indispensible. Since you're not in Ulduar, it may see less use, but it's still nice for Patchwerk's enrage, mutli-drake Sarth, Maexna when she's enraged and about to web wrap you, not to mention situations where mistakes are made or a healer drops and a PS can let you cover for a lost healer briefly or whatever. The important thing is just that you need to learn to use it and you'll be able to find a use for it on just about every encounter that you don't outgear.

Personally, I just don't find Healing Focus to be very useful unless you don't have a Holy Paladin in the raid. Yes there's raid damage, but with Improved Concentration Aura, I just don't have pushback problems. So I certainly don't think it's more useful that PI and PS. If you really want it, as others have said, the better place to take it from is probably Divine Fury. Of course, I still think that's a more useful talent than most others do and would still rather have points there than in Healing Focus, but I don't want to spark up that debate yet again, so I won't comment on it further than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Izenhart
    Probably tons of people already said this, take away 2 points in Divine Fury, 1 in PI, 1 in PS.

I mean was that hard to come at this decision? 5 points in divine fury are completely useless.
    DF is not useless. When Bloodlust/Heroism or PI is on you, you should be casting GHeal when you have BT active (assuming you have the mana). Also, Improved Healing is a great talent, and DF is the most useful way to get there. Spell Warding is nice .. but just don't stand in the 'fire' and when unavoidable weave in a few binding heals.

PI(self)->Shield->Pennance->PoM->GHeal Spam is incredible on the spot throughput on a tank, and DF is a big part of that.

Well thanks for all the useful comments, I've had a quick reshuffle with some points and come up with this:

http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/ba...00000000000000

I've put PI and PS back in, obviously I just need to monitor these more and use them to better effect. I just did VoA and did actually use both of them. I just need to remember to use them more often I guess.

I still have 2 points in Healing Focus, mainly because I need the points in Holy to get down to Improved Healing. To do this I've had to drop Divine Aegis and only put 1 point in Grace, however as a previous poster pointed out I'll be spamming Flash Heal, Penance or Greater Heal on the tank so they should have it on them anyway.

The only thing would be the loss of Divine Aegis, which I think is very useful, but not as much as Divine Fury.

Any comments on this one?

15+ Year Old Account

STOP REMOVING THE BREAD AND BUTTER OF THE SPEC.

YOU ARE A MONSTER.

Put those 3 points back into Aegis.
    Put that extra point back into grace.
    Stop trying to take Imp. Healing, use your mana cooldowns instead.

The only thing would be the loss of Divine Aegis, which I think is very useful, but not as much as Divine Fury.
    Afk, crying myself to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos-

YOU ARE A MONSTER.

I don't share his...umm... intensity, but he's right. Divine Aegis is one of the best talents available to Discipline. It's the healing equivalent of all the DPS 100% increased crit damage. It makes your crits effectively heal for 1.95x a normal heal instead of 1.5x, of with almost 25% cannot overheal. Without it, all the crit talents lose a lot of their uses as well.

If you really want Improved healing, your best way to get there is to drop Focused Will, since it's really only worth 3% in PVE. However, you really shouldn't be having mana problems. Even in sub-optimal gear, since I'm Holy for my main spec, I have never had mana problems that I couldn't solve with using my Shadowfiend or Hymn of Hope intelligently.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos-

YOU ARE A MONSTER.

Put those 3 points back into Aegis.
    Put that extra point back into grace.
    Stop trying to take Imp. Healing, use your mana cooldowns instead.
    Afk, crying myself to sleep.
    <3
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.