Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Demonic Pact experiences

I raid in a 10-man content guild, currently up to Yogg (phase 3, but haven't downed him yet). We've usually got three 'locks in the group.

Currently, all three of us are Destruction... but I've been thinking of flipping to a deep Demo (Demonic Pact) spec. I've always felt it was a more "fun" spec... but the personal loss in DPS hurts. The hope, of course, would be that the increased raid damage (from Demonic Pact) would off set that.

Do any of you raid with a deep Demo 'lock... and, if so, is it generally a good thing? I'm probably going to try it out on a raid this weekend (I've got "permission")... just curious as to others' experiences.

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Demonic Pact experiences

Think about it this way. Totem of Wrath (Elemental Shaman) works out to a 8-9% dps increase for every caster in the raid. Demo is an 8-9% dps loss over destruction, if played well. Therefore, an average geared Demo Warlock will make up their dps loss by having one other caster in the raid.

You claim you have 3 warlocks. You just increased your raid's dps by a maximum of 700 by switching to Demo, not to mention how much harder healers will heal for. Or if you bring mages, etc.

R.I.P. YARG

Yes do it if you go with your guild, they will appreciate it.

In random groups with too many recount-idiots you may hear complaints though.

Beside the raidsupport, if you time Meta at the right point deep Demo can do pretty well dps in certain fights.

Kharay1977

The best guilds out there have all learned that its not about individual DPS. It's about combining raid DPS with proper placement/movement and having quick responses to events. So, if you're willing to respec to further your guild's raid DPS, I'm saying: Go for it!

And, enjoy the additional progress it may be able to provide you guys.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Thought I'd share an update:

Haven't tried it on our Uld-10 yet (have to wait for the reset)... but did take it into the joint Uld-25 our guild does with another guild (and a few PUGS).

It was pretty much exactly like you'd expect: my personal DPS was down overall (though not as far as I'd feared... and actually was higher on some fights); the spec was a LOT more fun than Destruction; the DPS of other casters was higher (by a little more than I'd anticipated - I'd forgotten to calculate in all the spell power buffs deep Demo gives).

The biggest trick was trying to figure out when to pop the Metamorphosis CD for the extra damage - time it right, and DPS is still competitive with (though usually a little behind) Destruction for most fights; time it wrong, and you're WAY behind 'em. Auriaya, for instance, I beat out the Destruction 'locks; Hodir I was behind them (very bad timing on when I used Meta).

Thorim was a TON of fun, though: the gauntlet required a ton of micromanaging the pet (as opposed to the fire-and-forget imp).

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by DocQuantum
    Thought I'd share an update:

Haven't tried it on our Uld-10 yet (have to wait for the reset)... but did take it into the joint Uld-25 our guild does with another guild (and a few PUGS).

It was pretty much exactly like you'd expect: my personal DPS was down overall (though not as far as I'd feared... and actually was higher on some fights); the spec was a LOT more fun than Destruction; the DPS of other casters was higher (by a little more than I'd anticipated - I'd forgotten to calculate in all the spell power buffs deep Demo gives).

The biggest trick was trying to figure out when to pop the Metamorphosis CD for the extra damage - time it right, and DPS is still competitive with (though usually a little behind) Destruction for most fights; time it wrong, and you're WAY behind 'em. Auriaya, for instance, I beat out the Destruction 'locks; Hodir I was behind them (very bad timing on when I used Meta).

Thorim was a TON of fun, though: the gauntlet required a ton of micromanaging the pet (as opposed to the fire-and-forget imp).
    Good for you. Seriously. A few things:

1) How do you resist popping meta in the gauntlet, then using Charge, Immolation Aura, and Challenging Shout at the same time? I can't.
    2) Timing is important, but MORE important is using it every time its up in relation to the importance. For example, ask when they plan on blowing heroism. Smart guilds will do it at 30% (most bosses) to maximize execution damage. Popping meta during heroism/bloodlust is the most important thing you can do, so time it for this then back it out so you know when to blow it sooner.
    3) Soulfire rotations are badass if you can manage it.
    4) Don't forget to ask your healers about the extra 300 spell power and see if they've noticed a difference.

R.I.P. YARG

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    Good for you. Seriously. A few things:

1) How do you resist popping meta in the gauntlet, then using Charge, Immolation Aura, and Challenging Shout at the same time? I can't.
    2) Timing is important, but MORE important is using it every time its up in relation to the importance. For example, ask when they plan on blowing heroism. Smart guilds will do it at 30% (most bosses) to maximize execution damage. Popping meta during heroism/bloodlust is the most important thing you can do, so time it for this then back it out so you know when to blow it sooner.
    3) Soulfire rotations are badass if you can manage it.
    4) Don't forget to ask your healers about the extra 300 spell power and see if they've noticed a difference.
    1.) I just remember that my DPS will be higher if I pop it on Thorim.
    2.) The run was about 10 from my guild, 10 from another, and 5 pugs... so the timing on bloodlust was VERY hit or miss. I usually just aimed for boss mechanics (if there were any) or tried to get in two (one early, one late). If I heard a call for bloodlust, though, I popped it then and ran with it. In my guild runs I'll be able to time it better.
    3.) Yes, yes they are. Actually, I found it wasn't as hard as a lot of the online forums had implied... far easier than an Affliction rotation, IMO.
    4.) I'd been told there was a change that made Demonic Pact offensive spell power only... so I didn't even bother to ask them. Am I mistaken? (If so, that's added bonus.)

15+ Year Old Account

4) I must have missed that change. You're right. Wrath increases healing but DP does not. /cry

R.I.P. YARG

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by DocQuantum
    1.) I just remember that my DPS will be higher if I pop it on Thorim.
    You know... now that I think about it... I WAS using Meta in the gauntlet. Popped it on the first of the two big guys - which meant I could still use it twice on Thorim.