Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

(not so) Easy solution to spellpower plate

According to blues:

"We would like to get rid of spellpower plate, but we don't have a great system yet to make loot work without it. We want Holy paladins to wear plate and we don't want them to be great at say damage or tanking without having to swap gear."

Solution:

New holy talent XXXX - Transforms attackpower to spellpower (reducing AP while increasing SP). Also enables mana from strength (to remove caster plate completely). + some other effect since this is just a "dead" talentpoint otherwise.

I have no idea what conversion factors should be used, but I imagine that it can't be that difficult to find out.

Fun? Perhaps not. But a solution to Blizzard's itemization problems.

Re: Easy solution to spellpower plate

Yes, after that you nerf Holy again and puf, we are dead.

One of the best things about holy paladins is almost never having to worry about raid loot, when something drops, it's mostly likely that we will get it.

If you are farming a raid, you shouldn't have loot problems. If you are not farming and thinks you should get more usefull loot, nerf it again, more loot per boss, 3 tiers all over again.

15+ Year Old Account

which would mean i would do awesome healing in my ret gear with a holy spec.

but then again, holy paladins will be needing plate dps gear :-\

that's a big no-no in my book.

yea, great idea to let even more people roll for dps plate ...

They also said they didn't want holy pallies to gear as ret. Just respecc and boom. no.

Herald of the Titans Baabinator's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

This isn't the solution.

What about hit rating, armor penetration and expertise on plate?

Scars show you the remnants and failures of the past.

~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~

Quote Originally Posted by Nighty
    Imagine every holy paladin item in the game would be a dps item. Now that sounds good~

Right now plate has:
    Crit
    ArP
    Haste
    Hit
    Exp

2 of those are great for holy, so the solution is:
    make the sp plate into haste+crit plate
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

I may be getting my wires crossed, but wasn't the blue text you've wrote at the top blizzard's response to the following question posed by Venaliter yesterday:

Question #3 Spellpower Plate

I'd have to say a good 80% of the people who raid WoW are really, really sick of spellpower plate dropping in raids. When SP plate drops one spec of one class can use this, which means you have 29 out of 30 disappointed specs. God forbid two pieces of spell power plate drop from the same boss. The oft-suggested and effective fix would probably have a passive talent trainable by Paladins to convert Attack Power into Spellpower. I realize this would take some rebalancing of Paladins, ensuring Holy Paladins had mana(converted from Strength?) and roughly equivalent spellpower to heal. The talents Sheath of Light and Guided by the Light would probably need to be adjusted and maybe those spots in the talent trees might be a good place, and this is just me brainstorming, to have prot paladins run a little faster (they hardly need more threat or another tanking CD, come 3.2) and give Ret paladins an interrupt that they do honestly need.

Edit: It's not so much that paladins, if this change was implemented, would be rolling on DK/Ret paladin gear, they would more be rolling on haste/Crit plate gear, which isn't optimized except for one, possibly two specs. It would just be the same plate could be used by every plate wearing class and be a possible upgrade.

Now if i read that right, both points of your "Solution" were in the original question that provoked the blue answer, which you then solved, and so therefore is not a solution of your own at all?

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

been thinking about this a bit and i cant think of any way to do it.
    if you change the spell power plate to dps or tanking plate and make it healer through talents then you still have the problem blizz have said they dont want.. i.e. not having to swap gear etc.

so what other options are there.. make pally healing gear "mail" ???? the whole point of being a pally is running around in plate like some holy juggernaut and im sure shammys would love having to share there loot.

until they create another class that uses spellpower plate then we are always going to be the only ones who use it!!! i'd say its to much of a change to game mechanics now to have a DK tree that favours spellpower plate and there is sure as hell no reason why a warrior would have anything to do with spellpower"
    We dont stop playing because we grow old,
    We grow old because we stop playing

Quote Originally Posted by Lami
    I may be getting my wires crossed, but wasn't the blue text you've wrote at the top blizzard's response to the following question posed by Venaliter yesterday:

Question #3 Spellpower Plate

I'd have to say a good 80% of the people who raid WoW are really, really sick of spellpower plate dropping in raids. When SP plate drops one spec of one class can use this, which means you have 29 out of 30 disappointed specs. God forbid two pieces of spell power plate drop from the same boss. The oft-suggested and effective fix would probably have a passive talent trainable by Paladins to convert Attack Power into Spellpower. I realize this would take some rebalancing of Paladins, ensuring Holy Paladins had mana(converted from Strength?) and roughly equivalent spellpower to heal. The talents Sheath of Light and Guided by the Light would probably need to be adjusted and maybe those spots in the talent trees might be a good place, and this is just me brainstorming, to have prot paladins run a little faster (they hardly need more threat or another tanking CD, come 3.2) and give Ret paladins an interrupt that they do honestly need.

Edit: It's not so much that paladins, if this change was implemented, would be rolling on DK/Ret paladin gear, they would more be rolling on haste/Crit plate gear, which isn't optimized except for one, possibly two specs. It would just be the same plate could be used by every plate wearing class and be a possible upgrade.

Now if i read that right, both points of your "Solution" were in the original question that provoked the blue answer, which you then solved, and so therefore is not a solution of your own at all?

Please correct me if i'm wrong.
    You are correct. But then again I did not state that the solution was my own (tbh I really didn't read the question only the blue response, but whatever). This forum is for discussion right? I don't expect any royalties..

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Bron
    Do it the sunwell way, get an item, turn it in + sunmote for a different spec item.

Problem solved.
    then you get ret needing tank gear, holy needing dps gear, and prot needing holy gear. in the end it was annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Liftaren
    You are correct. But then again I did not state that the solution was my own (tbh I really didn't read the question only the blue response, but whatever). This forum is for discussion right? I don't expect any royalties..
    you are right on the discussion part. its just not that easy as you think

Quote Originally Posted by Bron
    Do it the sunwell way, get an item, turn it in + sunmote for a different spec item.

Problem solved.
    Exactly this. /thread

Quote Originally Posted by Liftaren
    According to blues:

"We would like to get rid of spellpower plate, but we don't have a great system yet to make loot work without it. We want Holy paladins to wear plate and we don't want them to be great at say damage or tanking without having to swap gear."
    Next Addon Blizzard will have armor like

Gives 30 A
    Gives 40 B
    Gives 25 C
    Gives armor acording to your highest armor-skill

And every talentspec will have a list what A B & C equals in which attributes

Lazy bastards they are, nobody wants that stupid "everybody can wear everything loot"
    Droped loot that nobody wanted anymore was always part of the game , get used to it.

I don't think it will solve anything.

While it would be nice to remove spellpower plate and I see the sense behind it, you will still need to itemize DPS plate so that the stats are benefical for both Retri and Holy, otherwise you'll just end up with 2 sets of DPS plate anyway.

So items with Hit would not work for Holy. ArP and Haste still don't fit anywhere with Retri mechanics, although Haste would obviously be ok for Holy, and Crit would be ok for both.

Now if they found someway to add some extra Hit into the Retri talent tree, and make Retri scale better from Haste in someway then they could be onto a winner. Then there would be DPS plate geared towards purley Paladin's, but of course, open for warriors and DK to take also.

I still think you would need different stats on the plate so you don't really get away from the issue.
    WHEN I POST IN CAPS CURSE SPEAK FOR ALL PALADINS AND REFRAIN FROM PUNCTUATION EXCEPT AT THE END OF MY SENTENCE WHERE I USE EXTRA YOU CAN'T ARGUE WITH MY LOGIC!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by iktankniet
    then you get ret needing tank gear, holy needing dps gear, and prot needing holy gear. in the end it was annoying.
    I understand your point, but I don't think it's a problem. The whole point of ditching spellpower plate is so that holy paladins will have competition for their gear. In short, more people will be rolling on the same items.

This is already what happens with tier tokens. You have all specs of 3/4 classes rolling on a single item.

It sounds like you're annoyed because the people you'd be competing with would be the same role as you, but I don't think that's really a problem in the long run. The token system already allows that to happen, and it's a better solution (in my opinion) than trying to find some obscure way to make spell power plate unnecessary or viable for more than just holy paladins.

I've believed for some time now the easy solution to this problem was to tweak unholy DK's to a kind of reverse Ret pally, a SP-AP conversion talent, up the spellpower coeffecients on the many "spells" they use, the only thing I run into is how useless mp5 is to a class that doesnt have mana.. you couldnt use it to regen runic power because that would just be insanely OP. only thing i can think of is a mp5-defence conversion but that probably isnt balanced either. that makes them tank and dps in the same spec AND gear. I'm sure there is a fix for this and it makes the most sence not only because it creates another SP plate class, but also lessens the issue of soo many classes rolling on dps plate.

Don't worry, paladins think mp5 is useless too. Give us more Crit/Haste gear and we will be happy as well. The melding of gear for Holy pallys and DKs or at least one tree of DK would be worthwhile. However, I honestly bet they will not balance this anytime soon. Expect to see the new class in this expac able to use Plate SP gear as well.
    80 Paladin (x2), 80 Shaman (x3), 80 Rogue (x2), 80 Mage, 80 Death Knight, 80 Priest, 80 Warrior, 80 Hunter

Make another Hero class that wears plate and uses spell power. Then everyone can roll that class and start fighting over spellpower plate.
    When in doubt, simply ask yourself: "What would Garrosh do?"

#wwgd

Quote Originally Posted by Nighty
    Holy Paladins already roll on DPS plate.... ¬_¬

With dual specs, I don't see why they wouldn't. Or why they would solo-farm in Holy gear.
    Nyuthing!

Quote Originally Posted by loop not defined
    Holy Paladins already roll on DPS plate.... ¬_¬

With dual specs, I don't see why they wouldn't. Or why they would solo-farm in Holy gear.
    Dont know on which server u play on but the 2 I play it is a generally acceptet rule that first gear need > second gear need in random raids and raidgroups dont use /rnd 100 atall

Also dont see why someone would need raiding gear for solo farming with offspec - mobs die that fast with even ilvl 200 blue/epics