Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: PvP Ranks comeback (long)

nice ideas
    The rats they can never hear; the rats, the rats in the walls. H.P Lovecraft

let some people modify it a bit and post it on the suggestion-forums ^^ would be awesome in-game.
    Black is what darkness looks like.

They could just follow a system thats determined by your HK's. They already kind of have this with the achievements (if you notice, the achievements give the symbol of a rank, for each level of HK you get).

Higher rank, means access to new weapons, armor, etc, BG specific.

This would reset at the end of every season, like arena does, and there would be no decay other than that reset.

(I should mention here that these HK's would be a totally seperate count from your Total Lifetime HK's, and would start at 0 at the begining of every season)..

So, for example.
    (These are just randomly picked #'s, somewhat, would probably want to scale around how long it would take to see these ranks).

Lets say the first set of gear, like savage gladiator gear, is blue, and requires a rank of Sergeant. Sergeant would require 1000 honorable kills. You would then open up the sergeant supplies, and be able to purchase Sergeants Battleground Gear, for Honor + Tokens (ie, Chest would be 49,000 honor, 5 AB, 5WSG, 5EoTS tokens)

The next set, would be Hateful Equivalent, gained at Knight rank. Knight would require 5,000 HK's. You then have access to Knight's supplies, with Hateful Equivalent gear, buyable for honor + tokens.

Another set, would be gained upon Commander, and then a final set upon Grand Marshal rank. You get to keep these titles through the season, but once its wiped, you lose the titles. Maybe change the old pvp titles to something that would signify them being gotten before this.

When a new season starts, the top tier set (grandmarshal) is equivalent to the newest set of PvP gear (ie, the upcoming relentless) and it scales back from there. Phasing out the lowest set with each season. and so forth.

Pieces could even be spread out among the ranks, instead of all of them being given at 1 rank. IE: gloves at rank 1, rank 2 legs, chest, rank 3 helm, rank 4 shoulders, and so on. /shrug

Meh, I'm just rambling. It would be interesting, hopefully it's something like what they have in store for us.

Deleted

Higher stuff would require guild help i guess for premades or city raids. Instead of having 3 Ulduar raids per week you could add Orgrimmar in there.
    We can even go crazier and add objectives inside the city, like this:

More info at the end for clarification! Everything proposed are just ideas.

Ironforge:
    Phase 1: Destroy gate and guards, gate has alot of hitpoints of course, players have a "backdoor" right nearby to allow in/out movement like wintergrasp. This will warn all other cities of this event, same for other cities.
    Phase 2: Capture Mystic and Military wings by killing the respective elites and replacing the alliance banner with your guild's banner. Hold for 5 minutes to capture.
    Phase 3: Engage and defeat Magni or Mekkatorque. When you engage one of them the other will come after X minutes and wipe the raid. When you kill one of them the other flees so you cannot kill him ofc.
    Notes: You must defeat the final boss in 20 minutes after phase 1 ends or reinforcements arrive (wipe), same for other cities. Hardmore is activated by skipping Phase 2, this way you will also get elites coming from those wards to aid the king. Capturing Mystic Ward will deny any portals into the city untill Magni is dead or the raid wipes.

Darnassus:
    Phase 1: Breach the magical barrier of the teleporter in Ruth'Theran. Fey-dragons from Darnassus attack you meanwhile.
    Phase 2: Defeat all 3 Ancients (the big trees) around the city.
    Phase 3: Engage one of the two bosses in the city. Upon engaging the next one will come after X minutes and wipe the raid. Killing one of them will make the other flee.
    Notes: Hardmode like Freya with the 4 ancients.

Stormwind:
    Phase 1: Face the military might of Stormwind. Lots of guards + General Marcus Jonathan (no gates).
    Phase 2: Capture Mage Quarter, The Park, Old Town and Dwarven District.
    Phase 3: Engage and defeat Wrynn.
    Notes: Hardmodes like in Ironforge, you probably want to split the raid to capture the areas in time. Mage district denies teleports.

Exodar:
    Phase 1: No gates, kill elite guard packs.
    Phase 2: Seize control of The Crystal Hall and Traders' Tier by defeating all guard packs inside (trash clearing)
    Phase 3: Defeat Velen, the Naaru in there will come to aid.
    Notes: Hardmode with the Naaru, not capturing areas will send the guard packs one after another. Offtank the Naaru in his Seat for easy mode, Let him come to Velen for harmode. You can use the side entrance for hardmode directly if you want.

Orgrimmar:
    Phase 1: Gates.
    Phase 2: Capture each Valley, Valley of Spirits denies teleports.
    Phase 3: Thrall+Vol'jin.
    Note: Kill Vol'jin first for easy mode, engage both at same time for hard mode. Uncaptured Valleys spawn elite adds.

Thunder Bluff:
    Phase 1: Capture the two elevators.
    Phase 2: Capture the 6 Bridge Nodes that lead to Spirit Rise, Elder Rise and Hunter Rise putting the bridges on fire.
    Phase 3: Engage Cairne Bloodhoof.
    Notes: Uncaptured Rises enable hardmode by sending a shaman, druid and hunter minibosses to help.

Undercity:
    Phase 1: Hold the old throne room for 5 minutes while gnome engineers assemble some device.
    Phase 2: The device was nothing more than a powerful underground bomb! The ground is ruptured and you gain direct access to the city! Capture War, Magic, Rogue's Quarters and the Apothecarium.
    Phase 3: Engage and defeat Sylvanas.
    Note: Sewer's passage is too small to carry the guild standart. Skipping phase two will send aditional adds (hardmode). Mage's Quarter denies teleports

Silvermoon
    Phase 1: Capture The Bazaar, Walk of Elders, Royal Exchange and Farstriders' Square by destroying the respective sentinels (the robots). When a robot is destroyed a Royal Sunfury Elite will come to reactivate it, defeat him and he will drop a certain weapon (like Kael'Thas) that you can use in the fight with Lor'themar Theron.
    Phase 2: Defeat the remaining Royal Sunfury Elite Guard in the Court of the Sun.
    Phase 3: Defeat Lor'themar Theron.
    Note: Leave the Sentinels up and go straight for Court of the Sun, killing the Sunfury Elites there will not drop the weapons (hardmode). Weapons vanish if you leave the city obviously.

Hardmodes drop better loot, full hardmodes (with everything up) can drop 2200 weapon or shoulder. These hardmodes take time so enemy players have time to come and help.
    Only up to 40 players can remain inside of a city, the rest are not allowed inside. If you are in a raid then all others are teleported out first. The raid with most members inside the city gets priority, everyone else gets teleported out. while gates are not destroyed the city works as usual, stealthy rogues can go around and gank people. In the case of at least 6 or more people are in one of the zones/quarters and the gates are not down the elite patrollers (the hunters) will get to you and kill you. You can still have as many raids outside of gates as you want. Engineers' explosives are welcome in getting gates down.
    Once gates are breached the elite patrolls spawn, they are very much like normal pulls in instances

Players defending the city gain increased honour from these players and sometimes badges from looting. High-Warlords drop conqueror badges (highest) for example. Bagdes only drop from enemy honorable players attacking your cities, low-ranked players dont drop any badges, and those who drop is a %chance, not always. Standart bearers always drop a badge.

But i think decay is needed. The maintenence quest is very much doable, especially when you have 1 month to complete it and you would anyway through normal PvPing. Some next-rank quests like the "solo kill 3 people" or "survive 5 people for 10 seconds" can be done in arenas, even skirmishes.

I want world pvp, i want military ranks as they should be. I want the war in Warcraft, not farming.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Sersly
    They could just follow a system thats determined by your HK's. They already kind of have this with the achievements (if you notice, the achievements give the symbol of a rank, for each level of HK you get).

Higher rank, means access to new weapons, armor, etc, BG specific.

This would reset at the end of every season, like arena does, and there would be no decay other than that reset.

(I should mention here that these HK's would be a totally seperate count from your Total Lifetime HK's, and would start at 0 at the begining of every season)..
    At least count only at the end of winned battegrounds, you must win to get that otherwise its just another farm without objectives. This way people may want to do AV properly (more gain) and not rush to vandar/drek.

If you add the objectives to lowlvl ones only interactable by the respective lvls (duskwood - 20-30) would give a reason for twinks to do world pvp

I like the post about World PvP - that would be fun. Otherwise, I completely disagree with the grindy suggestions some of you have put forth:
    HKs? That just means playing 24/7 will give you access to gear / buffs that others do not have, making it once again less about "skill" and more about time spent.
    Decay? That means I can't level my alt or take a break lest I quit my job and start farming BGs 24/7.

Basically, ranks have to be determined through a system similar to arenas ranking system - everyone starts at X when they start a level 1 toon and as they PvP through leveling and later in end-game that number changes based on relative ranking of that player to the person they are killing or getting killed by. Killing greys should give no rank, but it shouldn't take it away either. The whole progression system could be normalized to drastically slow down the higher you go (ala arena), so nobody ever reaches the cap really. That way, while not completely avoiding the gear + time issue, we could have a much more even playground.

I completely agree with Blizzard on "Grind = not skill". I won't dispute grind being present in WoW, however that grind is accessible to all and does not in fact award you the best items.

Quote Originally Posted by heartledger
    i stopped reading at the grand marshal rank 14...waht if the dude is not a rogue...he wont benefit the rank 14 buff w/e sounds cool old pvp rank
    What is this? A center for ants? How can we be expected to teach children to learn how to read... if they can't even fit inside the building?

-Derek Zoolander

For those that don't remember/weren't there for the old PVP system you literally had to play 24/7 to get rank 14 (I stopped at 10). I knew some guy that was rank 13 for awhile took 2 weeks off work and payed some guy to play while he slept and he still didn't make it in those 2 weeks. WSG weekend you needed to farm at least a million(not a typo) honor to be in the top few % so you could rank up. It was a bit ridiculous to say the least and it would be a mistake to bring it back.

Also giving people the ranks from those that earned them back pre-bc would piss them off a lot I am pretty sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Cainick
    I knew some guy that was rank 13 for awhile took 2 weeks off work and payed some guy to play while he slept and he still didn't make it in those 2 weeks.
    QFT. A friend of mine (High School at the time, so plenty of time) played ~14 hours a day for a couple of months and still only hit 13 (that was before the GM rank nerf from top 1% to top 5% or whatever it was).

Deleted

That is why this DOES take time but it is not need to burn urself. You will get there eventually if you dedicate yourself enought.

This will most likely include dedicated guild effort for higher ranks, so id say most "casuals" would hit up to rank 7-9.

Quote Originally Posted by Amstelkid
    I really love to see the old ranks back
    as someone who HAS the old ranks, i'm really glad they are gone. In fact, if i had it to do all over again i definitely would NOT have done it.
    70 Warlock - The Scryers
    80 Hunter - Gorefiend
    80 Druid - Gorefiend
    80 Death knight - Gorefiend
    80 Shaman - Gorefiend
    80 Mage - Gorefiend

Old titles = bad idea. try something original at least?

Quote Originally Posted by idanian
    I was just having this discussion last night. They ought to bring back the rank titles, as they are a nice incentive. I don't think they should bring back the previous titles, as those who earned the old ones have a right to keep them and not suffer the degrading scale.
    I have to agree with you.

I would love to see a rank/title system in pvp, and would probably pvp more if something like this were implemented. I'm pretty sure there are a few things that could be changed about the OP's suggestion, but it's almost time for servers to come back up so I didn't quite read the whole thing >_>