Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Shadow Priest PVE Damage - Help please

there are alot of fights where snare removal is nice to have.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

also im gonna be honest with you : you have about 30 or 40 more sp unbuffed than me ... but i do around 4.5k ... up to 4.8-4.9k with boomkin in group on normal bossfights

ur crit / haste are a bit low ... this is where i think some sp are making mistakes. its no longer TBC where all that matters to a shadow priest is spell power... i have around 710 crit rating and i might be getting ahead of myself but on fights like hodir hard mode that makes such a difference... the difference between 7-8k and 11-12k dps ... anyway for the moment check out those macros i told you about cause they really help and try to increase ur crit / haste... like some1 said above : 380-390 haste is enough. Its not all about spell power anymore

Improved Shadow Form is a must, there is shitloads of fights where there's constant AoE damage and pushback reduction is great.
    Also, a priest should never, EVER aim for crit rating at their gear. Ever.
    Don't spread false information, spellpower is our best scaling stat. What you get from the gear as crit rating - that's fine. Crit around 17% - 20%, haste aroud 360 - 400, and spellpower is our king stat. It's been proven empirically and mathematically.

What you need is proper timer to time your dots / cooldowns and practice to be more efficient when reapplying dots and using Mind Blast.

Illustration is overrated.
    Hard to keep up in some encounters.
    + double proc on Sundial and Dying curse combined with VT and DP = awesome.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Barthilas&n=Strykie

You can keep ur improved VE by dropping imp shadowform ... there aren`t many fights ( if there are at all ) where that is usefull...
    imp shadowform is a DPS talent...
    if you take a hit you lose casting time from mind flay, mean you lose a tick fo it ( if not more )....it's a musthave talent

series of [no channeling] macros which will prevent you from losing MF ticks
    nochanneling is a dps loss

watch for sundial to proc and reapply swp
    no

Illustration is overrated.
    Hard to keep up in some encounters.
    LOL...hard to keep up? on some encounter? only malygos during vortex come in my mind...but then..shield yourself, cast an istant like swd...whatever

not true imho....
    or better...crit is a good stat for sp nwo that have it's use with DOT..
    ofc spellpower is our best scaling stat...but that's the same for every caster dps class

like alot say...
    your haste/crit are low ( also look for haste sweet spot for sp..my advice is to go around 400 haste..not more..but ofc depend on your play style )
    your hit is too high
    spirit is useless
    change spec to 5/5 imp minb blast...and no, don't remove point from meditation cause of dispersion...dispersion is a last resort...you lose load of dps using it
    remove spirit tap/imp spirit tap if you want to keep imp ve ( only reason for imp spirit tap is the "dps" part of it....and it's not nearly on par with point in imp mind blast )
    use a good dot management addon ( fortex is the best prob...and it help alot to know when you need to start recasting VT )
    use shadowgreenlight to understand when to se swp
    change you meta

install this addon
    http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...ect-14633.aspx
    and check for your fight performance alone...you will see your dot uptime, mb usage etc...rly nice to understand what is goign wrong

I have a question that i've always been curious about.

Let's say you're mind flaying and your VT is about to wear off the moment the mind flay ends, but Mind Blast is now off cooldown and ready to be cast.

Do I Mind Blast first, or do I throw up a VT first.

Further more, should I be cutting off the last bit of my mind flay in order to keep my VT up.

Thanks.

mind blast first

Ok the only boss in which you take hits that shorten ur mf ticks is mimiron ...that is where imp shadowform is really worth it ... and btw that is not a dps race... thats a survival fight in which imp VE is far better. other possible bosses for that talent might be auriaya cause of crazy adds, if ur a sp that does MC like me on thorim hard mode again that is very useful , thats about it .

and no channeling is not a dps lost if you got the right amount of haste and you have a deep understanding of when ur dots will run off and how fast ur MF is... its a dps lose when ur not able to find that balance... that dps lost keeps me up at about 4.8k ... the best sp do around 5.1-5.2 max and that gap of mine is due to gear not macros

Through some gear swapping and some quick enchanting I brought my stats up to date. I still don't have the crit gem in my meta socket, but after tonight I should have another one. (Need to do some mining))

My stats are now,

2280 Spell Power (Inner Fire Up)
    16.72 % crit (Going up more once I get that gem)
    388 Haste

Update:

So I managed to get around 2.9DPS with the above mentiond stats on an Elite training dummy in Org. Keeping in mind that I lack the crit that'd bump me up, plus the extra 3% crit damage, and the fact that i'm on a crappy connection atm, (Sometimes lagging for a second or two) i'd say that it's a pretty decent start. I also just dropped my 2 points in VE and went for full 5/5 Mind Blast.

Thanks to all that helped. With any luck i'll be more about where I should be next raid.

Ok the only boss in which you take hits that shorten ur mf ticks is mimiron
    no ae on hodir ?
    no time lost on yog due to debuff or other thing around?
    no tick lost on council for steel aura ( and you need to nuke as hard as you can at the end ) ?
    even on xt hard cause of the spark ?

there are alot more fight than what you think where not having 100% pushback resist is a huge dps loss

nochanneling macro is always a DPS loss this has been discussed milion of time.

i dunno your latency, but if is higher than let's say 50/80ms nochanneling start to be a huge dps loss...
    As you know ( or not, dunno ) nochanneling macro mean that the client will wait the cast to finish before sending the "signal" for a new cast to the server.

This mean that every cast you will do it wil take into account even your latency on it...

let say ( random nuber to make it easyer )..with 500 ms latency and 0 haste, using no channeling macro, mean that your second mind flay will start after 3,5 sec...
    using a casting bar that take into account latency ( quartx ftw ofc ) will give you a visual information on when you need to recast your spell.
    Casting it at the start of the "red spark" on the cast bar mena you will cut that 500 ms cause the casting will be sent to serever "immediatly" and the server will elaborate that, not your client.

So, if you pull 4.8k dps with nochanneling ( dpending on your latency ofc ) withotu it you can only have higher dps...

Then you can see latency and tell..i have 30 ms..so i prefer some easy "mashing" of mf key than bing ultraperfect on the red spark on the castin bar

to the OP...gearwise changing your metagem will be the higher dps increse you can have imho..so do it as priority

Yeah, to be honest, there is so much aoe damage on boss fights that is un-avoidable these days. And little things, like when hodir freezes you to the ground, etc, it's so nice to be able to hit one button and become free.

I got my two points out of Focused Mind since i never had any Mana troubles...

Quote Originally Posted by Lostprophet
    I got my two points out of Focused Mind since i never had any Mana troubles...
    Nuke harder already.

I can easily oom myself if not using Shadowfiend, and for fights like IC Hardmode, or Firefighter, I prefer to have Shadowfiend as a DPS cd.

And tbh, anyone can go OOM on Yogg-Saron, if they bother dotting up enough tentacles.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostprophet
    No?
    why no? i usually wait for sundial to proc and reapply swp for the xtra 590sp as long as swp doesnt fall off it ups my dps and usually is my highest dot

Quote Originally Posted by theexorcist
    why no? i usually wait for sundial to proc and reapply swp for the xtra 590sp as long as swp doesnt fall off it ups my dps and usually is my highest dot
    MF refreshes SW:P for spell power changes but not damage modifiers (like Maly sparks, Thaddius's charges, General's REsidue, etc.)

So no need to manually reapply swp for sundial proc

Quote Originally Posted by theexorcist
    watch for sundial to proc and reapply swp
    What is wrong with people... never do this ever, you are retarded if you do. MF refresh will always update changes in SP, recasting the DoT is a complete waste of a GCD for 0 effect other than reducing your DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Direshadow
    Thanks for the help.

I actually have been messing around with gems alot, which is why there is now a spell power meta where there wasn't one before.

I think my main problem is the fact that i'm clipping VT. I'm almost certain I read that i'm supposed to refresh it at 3 seconds, but I guess that's a load of hullabaluh.

It's really a shame to have to lose that improved healing from VE, but since dispersion is going to be lowered to 2 minutes soon, I may just take one point out of meditation after 3.2 so I can get both 4/5 Mind blast and full talented VE.

Thanks for the help!

P.S.

After some more playing, i actually managed to get my dps up to 3.2 on a dummy consistantly by equipping that 111SP trinket. When raid buffs come along I think i'll be pretty much fixed.
    Don't get Spirit Tap & Imp Spirit Tap... keep full points in Meditation... the 5 points in Spirit Tap equates to about 7sp... its hardly worth 5 points and with mana as it is atm, you don't need that extra regen. With those 5 points you can pick up shadow affinity & imp VE which are nice utility to have but neither are necessary....

Quote Originally Posted by syanid
    Either you're a troll or you're retarded... while the most effecient DPS stats are Hit > SP > Crit, there is a point where you can't find gear with anymore SP, so you get the items with the same amount of SP and crit. There is also a point where crit becomes > SP... if you have a choice between 1 sp or 10 crit rating the 10 crit rating is the higher dps... it's pretty much common sense. There are also times when a Sp/Crit gem is higher DPS than a pure SP gem if it activates a socket bonus worth having.

Gear choices are never this black and white... aim for hit cap, then getting as much SP as you can and build your crit and haste acccordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Direshadow
    I have a question that i've always been curious about.

Let's say you're mind flaying and your VT is about to wear off the moment the mind flay ends, but Mind Blast is now off cooldown and ready to be cast.

Do I Mind Blast first, or do I throw up a VT first.

Further more, should I be cutting off the last bit of my mind flay in order to keep my VT up.

Thanks.
    On the assumption you are in a boss fight that is going to last several minutes you always MB first. You do this to break the conflict cycle of VT/MB... if you choose to cast VT first you will guarantee another VT/MB conflict in 15seconds... casting MB first will break that conflict for about 1 minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    Nuke harder already.

I can easily oom myself if not using Shadowfiend, and for fights like IC Hardmode, or Firefighter, I prefer to have Shadowfiend as a DPS cd.

And tbh, anyone can go OOM on Yogg-Saron, if they bother dotting up enough tentacles.
    Your mana pool can be stretched in hard modes, no doubt about it... if you're only doing normal modes then you can probably afford to miss a few regen talents. However, I can't see where you could put those points anywhere else more beneficial except for spirit tap which doesn't provide massive amounts of mana to begin with and has a negligible dps effect anyways.