Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How to become a epic holy pve healer.

Hi!

I newly dinged my paladin to 80 (yay me!) and I must admit retribution bores the crap out of me. Same does pvp paladin actually, so I wanted to start raiding. And since tanking looks awfully boring too, why not go holy? Im the pvp kind of type, so I have never cleared naxx before and think its time to do so. I newly joined a pve guild witch does all 10man, and some 25 raids.

So what I need to know is everything I actually need to know about PVE Holy pallys. What specc, what to stack of stats, special gear, healing "rotations", what role im supposed to play in the raid and ofcourse some cool tips that will help me out anyways

And a link to my armory. Yeah, Im not that great geared I know, but who issnt in the start? If you wonder why I have deadly back and pants its because it was an imrovement. Be glad to give critics to the gear, gems and specc.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...n&n=R%C3%A4lph

Btw, I really dont wish any flaming or trolling. Not everyone is pro you know.

Thanks for answers!

Love Shas.

Re: How to become a epic holy pve healer.

Moar intellect, because you will be oom to quick.

Drop Sacred Cleansing, take 5/5 Judgements of the Pure - it's a must have. You can also drop some points in Divinity and go for 3/3 Sancicity of Battle - you gain 3% more crit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neostigma
    He be climbin in yo windows burning yo people up
    so y'all need to hide ya kids, hide ya wife, and husbands coz he's burnin' everybody out there!
    Veru, player formerly known as Meliann.

Deleted

Hi , first of , I like your honnesty at never having played a pve healadin before .

OT as said above itemise your gear with intel crit SP haste and at last MP5 (in that order preferably)

Gear up as you can in heroics and un naxx 10 you can get some pretty nice gear there , also pick up the BOE naxx 25 boots if you have the gold

Otherwise run a few raids and get a feel of your character , good luck ! ;D

Use Insightful Earthsiege Diamond as your meta (because you'll never really have enough intellect to make 2% of it better than free mana back)

Gems: Use one +19sp (red), one green (+8 int and 3mp5 i believe, to fit the 1 blue gem meta requirement), and fill the rest of your slots with yellow +int gems (16int is the blue one i think)

For your spec:
    Holy: take the points out of Aura Mastery, Improved Lay on Hands, Sacred Cleansing, and Enlightened Judgements and put the 5 points you have free now in Judgements of the Pure. This talent makes it so that when you put a judgement on a boss you have 1minute of 15% extra haste which is an incredible talent. You'll also have one extra talent point to put wherever you want.
    Ret: Switch the 2/2 Improved Judgements to Improved Blessing of Might (on the same row). You don't need a shorter cooldown on judgements and improved blessing of might is always a nice thing to have.
    Prot: you can keep 5/5 divinity if you want, or you can go 2/5 and put 3 points in Sanctity of Battle(in the ret tree,3% more crit) it's really up to you

Glyphs look fine(though it's been a while, so another holy pally might want to check them as well)

When you do 25man Naxx, keep an eye out for http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40187 (Poignant Sabatons, from Noth the Plaguebringer). They're very very good boots.

As far as enchanting stuff:
    Boots get Icewalker(crit)
    chest gets +10 to all stats(don't bother until you get your t7 chest, or http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40453 [from sartharion + 2 drakes] as it's pretty expensive IIRC)

A few tips socket INT gives crit mana and Spr Pwr. You want to get to the Point that you can SPAM Holy light. Ensure that you are keeping your beacon up on the OT. You are primarily going to be a MT OT healer we do not do very well healing a raid due to lack of AOE healing yes Glyph of HL is nice but not really a good raid heal more of a top of the melee. Keep your SS up on your tank it will help. 1 thing i would greatly reccomend getting is the Darkmoon card Greatness for int gives u an average of 190int plus if ur a BE and pop torrent when it procs it gives a ton of mana. also try to use your DP divine plea with it as you will get more mana back and when the effect is over you will not lose any mana unless you are already over your normal 100% ( Free mana pot on a 45 sec CD) Focus on your Crit raiting you should be shooting for 30% on you character page to start with it will go up over time. I use healbot some ppl use others but i find that healbot is efficient i can cleanse heal and do whatever i need to using it. (curse.com -- healbot) with that being said learn to time your healz and dont worry about your overhealing until 3.2 we all overheal a ton i myself have up to 70% OH on some bosses. Spec can vary a little but u want the basic gist
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...Ishgar&group=1 I have my OS tank gear on ATM but i will switch it when i get home. Also you should be shooting for 30k mana unbuffed INT INT INT hope this helps any more questions ill come back to this post

Int>Spell Power>Haste>Crit is what I follow.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    The only new glyph we are ready to announce right now is the Glyph of Divine Shield, which reduces the cast time of your Hearthstone whenever Divine Shield is active.

Get the following mods.

Healbot or Grid for click healing. (If you don't have a mod like this then you are a waste of a healer)
    I personally use healbot. I have heard people liking Grid more but I have been using HB for so long and have tinkered with it so much I don't feel like changing it.

Pally Power
    This mod is used for keeping Blessings up on people and knowing when your buffs are about to expire.

Also keep in mind that come next patch your gear Itemization is going to change quite a bit.

You will be going from Int>crit>sp>haste to something like Int>mp5>haste>sp>crit.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Slusket
    Int>Spell Power>Haste>Crit is what I follow.
    I personnally rate crit higher than haste but on par with SP , but deppends on your gameplay I suppose .
    My armory => http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...n+Tor&n=Shrike .
    Oh and pallypower is a must have and I also use decurse . Hope it helps !

Tips...
    1) - Dont be afraid to use Lay on Hands for those "oh sh*t" moments, have it macrod / hotkeyed. Many a wipe has been saved by speedy use of Lay on Hands.
    2) - Try to cast your judgement at least once every minute to keep your haste buff up..
    3) - Keep your Beacon and Sacred shield up on your main target (usually the tank.) Dont underestimate how good the shield is.
    4) - use Holy shock, its your only instant heal really and if it crits you get an instant FoL. This is the only thing you can use when your having to run from one end of the room to the other.
    5) - do not judge light if there is a dps or tank pally in the raid, the retadins judgement of light is a lot stronger than yours as is a decently geared tank. (Yes I know you are the healer but they are better at that than you, sucks i know but hey. Some guilds may have different rules about who judges what so double check this)
    6) - use Divine Plea as often as you can but try to time it around high damage parts of the fight. It will cut your healing in half.
    7) - Consider popping Avenging Wrath at the same time as Divine Plea, it takes the edge of the healing de-buff.
    8 ) - Use Divine Illumination just before a heavy damage part of the fight and then go nuts with your holy light heals.

The controversial tip number 9 (this causes arguments)
    If you find yourself low on mana and have seal of wisdom up you can regen a decent chunk of mana by meleeing the boss or an add, if it has any,..(use this with caution for obvious reasons)
    We dont stop playing because we grow old,
    We grow old because we stop playing

Use your brains with the bacon... So far every post has said use it on either the MT or the OT , but that's just stupid. You're going to switch it from different players to yourself depending on the fight , just to give an example , hardmode IC 25man I beacon myself and heal the steelbreaker tank , which effectively removes the need for any of the raid healers to heal me.

Then take a boss like Freya , you can throw beacon on the MT and heal the raid / Offtanks

I hope you see what I mean but really , using beacon just on the MT is plain stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Xern
    Use your brains with the bacon... So far every post has said use it on either the MT or the OT , but that's just stupid. You're going to switch it from different players to yourself depending on the fight , just to give an example , hardmode IC 25man I beacon myself and heal the steelbreaker tank , which effectively removes the need for any of the raid healers to heal me.

Then take a boss like Freya , you can throw beacon on the MT and heal the raid / Offtanks

I hope you see what I mean but really , using beacon just on the MT is plain stupid

100% agreed. In big damage fights you can easily be in the top 3 healing if you do this. 9 out of 10 times you will not keep Beacon on the same person throughout the fight. I change mine multiple times.

Another very important tip that I don't see alot of pallies do is for jeebus's sake judge wis the boss and get up there and wack it!!!! That right there will give you near infinite mana. Do be smart about it thou (This is probably the main reason not alot of pallies do it.) because you have a higher chance of dieing if you don't know when to move. There is not a single boss in this game that will not give you a chance to melee at some point to get mana back. If the melee can hit it you can hit it. I use this method above all else if I can to get mana. (I use it before DP, Pots, Ill, LoH, etc).

currently on live if you pop divine illumination and go into a holy-light spam you're actually gaining mana every crit (will be different with the illumination nerf in 3.2).

Just stack int and use your common sense

Quote Originally Posted by q011519
    Get the following mods.

Healbot or Grid for click healing. (If you don't have a mod like this then you are a waste of a healer)
    I personally use healbot. I have heard people liking Grid more but I have been using HB for so long and have tinkered with it so much I don't feel like changing it.

Pally Power
    This mod is used for keeping Blessings up on people and knowing when your buffs are about to expire.
    You are NOT a waste of a healer without Healbot or Grid. Those are very nice for SOME people, and while some (like this guy) think they are NEEDED, they are not. I actually found it harder to heal using "click healing" addons. Only thing I use is X-perl for the different looking UI and I perform just fine.

Healing is about learning when to predict damage to pre-emptive that cast for a big hit, dispelling, and most of all, quick reaction time. Don't worry about healing meters too much if you're getting the job done.

I will agree on Pally Power. I know my friends always yell at each other when one of them makes a new pally and doesnt have it. It allows you to setup buffs for the raid, so you know what each pally is buffing to each class in the raid, and it shows duration left, its a REALLY easy way to keep the raid buffed up.

click healing is more effective in hard modes and harder raids. U can't just stand in one spot and heal, easier to heal on the run with them.

i use xperl and clique mod. I just assign what i want my buttons to do depending the the fight and what i'm more likely to use.

I don't doubt its easier for some people, but I've never had trouble moving and healing. But like I said, it gave me more troubles than it helped me, and I wasnt willing to 'learn' with it by having people die because i wasnt use to the new setup yet so I could maybe get a little more effeciency. Or maybe not.

But, I know I play a little wierd for some, and its really personal preference for some. My point was simply that you are not [i]useless[i] if you did not use a click mod. I don't dislike people who do, I just dislike when people assume its the only way.

Get rid of blue +7 mp5 gem, get +int +mp5 green.
    If you don't want to use mouseover macros or stuff like that, at least bind your Hand spells to keys that you could use fast.

I use Tuskarr's Vitality on boots, but it's personal choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neostigma
    He be climbin in yo windows burning yo people up
    so y'all need to hide ya kids, hide ya wife, and husbands coz he's burnin' everybody out there!
    Veru, player formerly known as Meliann.

Personally, I prefer going into prot for Divine Guardian... Having Beacon and Sacred Shield on the same CD is helpful and saves you the GCD of putting SS up every 30 seconds.

Divinity is underrated in my opinion and sits at the very top of the prot tree. As a tank healer, strong and consistent heals are better than a few extra crits throughout the fight, so 5% healing there beats the crit from the ret tree.

Also, if you DO NOT have a prot paladin or resto druid in your group (yes, this can happen in 10-mans) you should try to have Improved Devotion Aura from prot as well for an additional 6% healing.

Finally, at lower gear levels (and in all of 3.2) you'll be spamming flash of light rather than holy light, so if you can get in some arena for the libram that gives +267 spellpower to FoL, do it.

Addons
    I recommend "Clique" which allows you to bind your heals very easily... Ex: shift+Lclick is FoL, shift+Rclick is HL, shift+mouse5 is shock, alt+Lclick is Beacon and alt+Rclick is SS

Combine this with an amazing raid frame like X-Perl and you'll be set. Seriously, with this setup, I sometime top the chart on effective healing

Being a Holy Pally since bc and all through Wotlk, I highly recommend HealBot. Once you get the hang of it and get used to your binds then you become an unstoppable healer. Pallypower is a must to avoid buff nazis QQ when they dont have wisdom or whatever. As for gems, I personally like to follow the Socket Bonus and its a good way to keep some sort of balance between all of your stats. Also, get Jewelcrafting for the prismatics. Like said above, keep a bar full of "Oh Sh*t" buttons. Holy Pallys have like 5 maybe. Use the Bubble/Sacrifice macro in case a tank is taking heavy damage etc etc. Holy Pallys imo are the easiest to play and one of the most, if not the most, effective healers in WoW right now. Have Fun!

PM Requests-OPEN
    Making Signatures l No WMV. Only able to use armory and/or provided screenshots

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Accuser.
    Personally, I prefer going into prot for Divine Guardian... Having Beacon and Sacred Shield on the same CD is helpful and saves you the GCD of putting SS up every 30 seconds.

Divinity is underrated in my opinion and sits at the very top of the prot tree. As a tank healer, strong and consistent heals are better than a few extra crits throughout the fight, so 5% healing there beats the crit from the ret tree.

Also, if you DO NOT have a prot paladin or resto druid in your group (yes, this can happen in 10-mans) you should try to have Improved Devotion Aura from prot as well for an additional 6% healing.

Finally, at lower gear levels (and in all of 3.2) you'll be spamming flash of light rather than holy light, so if you can get in some arena for the libram that gives +267 spellpower to FoL, do it.
    I used to be specced into divine guardian but I would rather have 3% crit

And totally agreed at lower gear levels you will be spamming flash of light and not HL ^^