Help this new Holy Paladin :)

Hello Paladins i've come here to request help with my holy pala.

I'm new to healing i have been a fury warrior since Vanilla and have never played another class ( dk alt's don't count :P )
    So i just recently dinged 80 on my ret paladin ( i was ret to level ).

Now i'm kind stuck and don't know what to do. What should i focus in terms of stats? After the changes to Illumination i'm not sure whats my priority anymore.

And while we're at it do you guys think i should craft the Titansteel mace or should i just do heroic nexus and try to get the War Mace of Unrequited Love ?

Thanks in advance and have a good one!

Re: Help this new Holy Paladin :)

Well for now, stack int. When 3.2 comes should start looking towards getting more mp5 especially since all pieces got a 1.5x mp5 boost and the nerf to illumination, you will get less mana from crits. Also you will be casting beacon of light and sacred sheild more which don't benefit from illumination. With the hot from SS/fol you will also be casting fol more which doesn't benefit as much from illumination as holy light making mp5 more tasty

The intellect talent also got nerfed from 15% to 10% increase. Your mana pool will sink but if you still stack int you can get a lot back from divine plea.

Titansteel destroyer is awful for pally healer imo. It has no intellect at all on it. If my memory serves me well the mace from heroic nexus has 49 int which is great. If you put 50 spell power on it you will have a total of 458 sp. If you put 30 int on TD it will have 458 sp and 30 int which is the same sp but lacking 19 int. However you enchant them I would still take the mace from nexus.
    This bro told a cool story on 2009-12-03 and proudly took part in the banfest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathazar
    When 3.2 comes should start looking towards getting more mp5 especially since all pieces got a 1.5x mp5 boost
    Neg. It's just a 25% boost. Which is far shy of being enough to make this stat better than Int. Int is our best stat and will be after the patch as well.

Imagine that you stack mp5 and achieve a high rating of 400. That's 28,800 mana over the course of a 6 minute fight. And to get it, you've given up a combined 750 points of crit and haste.

The problem is the itemization of mp5. Ever after recieveing a 25% boost, each point of mp5 is valued at 1.875 points of any other stat. That means you can have one point of mp5 or nearly two points of crit or haste.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

Thanks for fast answers.

So if i get it Intellect will always be my number one stat is that correct?

What about haste? How good is it and should i ever gem for it?

Just one more thing
    so i should NOT avoid mp5 but also i shouldn't be always looking for it is that correct?
    like if it comes with gear it is okay but i shouldn't be chasing it is that correct?

Thanks in advance again!

It would take a major overhaul of the regeneration system to knock Int from the number one spot. It's this way for most caster classes. The key is that replenishment and Plea and most other mana regenerating abilities read "...regenerates x% of your total mana". This means that the bigger your "total mana" the more you will return.

Haste is good, but you shouldn't ever need to gem for it. I forget the number and am too lazy to look, but you will soft cap haste at around 600. At that point, the cast time of FoL (with JotP up) will hit 1 second and it can't get any faster due to running into global cooldown. You can get more, but its effect is strictly limited to HL. This haste will naturally come on your gear.

Right now, you should avoid mp5. As things stand, it is fairly useless. After the patch, it's hard to say. They are buffing the amount of mp5 on items by 25% and nerfing the mana regeneration of Illumination by 50%. This improves the value of mp5 and decreases the value of crit (in terms of mana regen at least). Blizzard's plan is for mp5, haste and crit to be all roughly equal in desirability. Whether or not this works out depends on a lot of things that can't really be foretold right now. The Illumination nerf combined with the Sacred Shield HoT might turn us into FoL spammers - in which case mp5 looks promising. However if the buff to Beacon keeps us going as HL users - then mp5 continues to look less attractive.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>

Blizzard's stated intent to to get people away from HL spam. The HL glyph and Beacon change would basically make us 20-40% better tank healers than we are now, if we had the mana to spam HL and that's exactly what they DONT want.

In my opinion, stack spellpower and use FoL/shock. As a new paladin, you'll need to get used to that style for 3.2. More importantly, for most of the early raids you'll be gearing up in mana shouldnt be much of a problem, and the more spellpower you have the more you can afford to use FoL instead of HL.

I see.

well this is a little more complicated than i thought.

Well yeah i still dont know how to heal properly but the nerfs you guys are talking about sound pretty harsh.

I've healed nexus and AN as ret and was able to spam FoL and sometimes even HoL without going oom. But with the nerfs to illumination i think it's gonna be a little more complicated to heal. But then again that might just be me since i've no experience as Holy yet.

Just one more thing

do you guys gem all +Int or do you get some spellpower gems too?

and what meta should i buy?

I soviet everything with intellect. Everything but one gem which is 9 spell power 3 mp5 to get 1 of each color for my meta which is the 31(?) intellect and chance to restore 600 mana on spell cast
    This bro told a cool story on 2009-12-03 and proudly took part in the banfest.

Especially starting out, you will want to socket Int in everything (don't forget to meet your meta requirements though!). The hands down winner for meta is Insightfull Earthsiege.

Healing Heroics is not too hard. Beacon the tank for boss fights. You have a little heal (FoL), a big heal (HL) and a quick heal (HS). Just pick one of the three based on the need.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>

Deleted

if there is an item with red/yellow socket and a good socket bonus I'd socket int/sp in red, and int in yellow, but when there's no good socket bonuses, or if there is a blue socket in a gear slot, i just socket pure int.

Regarding Meta gem, you should use Insightful Earthsiege Diamond.

Quote Originally Posted by mogulkhan
    do you guys gem all +Int or do you get some spellpower gems too?

and what meta should i buy?
    Insightfull Earthsiege hands down for meta.

Again, it comes down to whether you're going to go the likely 3.2 route of primarily FoL (which requires much less int, but more spellpower) or the possibly obsolete HL spam (which requires LOTS of int, and no spellpower). Most raiding paladins are full int HL spammers atm. Since you wont be able to do that in 3.2, gem and stack spellpower so you can make do with FoL healing.

It's important to realize that multi-colored gems will always get you more bang for your buck slot-for-slot, so int/spellpower is a solid choice.

Ok guys i think i got the basic

I really appreciate your help and answering so fast !

Thanks everyone

Nice job guys!

Have a good one!