The power of spreadsheets

In truth there are a lot of grey areas when determining the best gear to use to maximise dps. However, in absense of anything else I reckon that Landsouls spreadsheet does a great job of helping us choose our gear. I notice a LOT of questions in this fourm which could be answered very quickly from using this sheet.

And, believe me, it can thrown up some interesting gear combinations.

I had previously dismissed sword specialization having read countless times that it is dramatically inferior to both mace and poleaxe. Despite that I'm now using Aesir's Edge based on calculations int the spreadsheet - and seeing the benefits in raids also (Usually averaging 5.5k on XT Hardmode in Ulduar10 as a reference point). It is interesting that, according to the spreadsheet, the next upgrade from this for me would be Lotrafen. I was surprised to see that Worldcarver was a dps loss despite being an Axe.

Poleaxe spec is obviously better, as the Lotrafen upgrade highlights. However, the difference between sword spec and poleaxe is not as big as I had imagined and the stats on the weapons in question still have a large part to play in determining which is better (The stats on Worldcarver are not great for an Arms warrior).

Anyway, try Landsouls spreadsheet - damn useful and insiteful!

Re: The power of spreadsheets

A lot of people can't get their hands on MS Excel and OpenOffice doesn't seem to work that well with Landsoul's spreadsheet and he even states that it won't work properly with that program himself.

For people who can't do the spreadsheet thing I highly reccomend a program called Rawr: http://www.codeplex.com/Rawr

A very user friendly program for optimizing gear/dps, just started using it myself and seems legit.

Deleted

Worldcarver can easily lose value on a spreadsheet due to expertise going above the cap, also the critrating SEP value depends on your current criticial%, or so I'm lead to belive.

That being said, Aesirs edge is kickass, so it can very well be better, I haven't personally checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezool
    Worldcarver can easily lose value on a spreadsheet due to expertise going above the cap, also the critrating SEP value depends on your current criticial%, or so I'm lead to belive.

That being said, Aesirs edge is kickass, so it can very well be better, I haven't personally checked.
    It's true. If you can maintain the cap requirements, Sword spec is not inferior to mace and poleaxe/axe spec like how many have claimed before. It's all about what weapon you're swinging. Aesir's Edge/Voldrethar is better then any mace and axe weapon but Lotrafen/Dark Edge of Depravity is the 2-1 weapons for Arms if you can get your hands on them. And despite what sword spec reads, it procs off of all damage you do - even from a tick of rend or deep wounds. Don't believe, test it out for yourself. Short fights it's not too good - long fights it's awesome.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by therope
    It's true. If you can maintain the cap requirements, Sword spec is not inferior to mace and poleaxe/axe spec like how many have claimed before. It's all about what weapon you're swinging. Aesir's Edge/Voldrethar is better then any mace and axe weapon but Lotrafen/Dark Edge of Depravity is the 2-1 weapons for Arms if you can get your hands on them. And despite what sword spec reads, it procs off of all damage you do - even from a tick of rend or deep wounds. Don't believe, test it out for yourself. Short fights it's not too good - long fights it's awesome.
    Aesir's Edge and Voldrethar, is only better becuse they're superior as weapons, not becuse of swordspec being superior.

I know you didn't claim it to be, but felt the need to point it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezool
    Aesir's Edge and Voldrethar, is only better becuse they're superior as weapons, not becuse of swordspec being superior.

I know you didn't claim it to be, but felt the need to point it out.
    Truth. Sword spec is not recommended without aesir or voldrethar.