Please advise me on how to Duel a Warlock

I created this account simply for help in this regard. Does anyone have ANY advise on winning a duel against a Warlock? Demon Warlocks with felgaurds have been impossible for me (im lvl 67 Blood Elf, so far frost speced and arcane speced [Dual specced]) I just cant get past the fellguards charge. Even with a shatter combo, and Ice Lance spam it's nearly impossible cuz of fel. Affliction Locks are a problem cuz of felhunters silence.

Any help?

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Please advise me on how to Duel a Warlock

Well, slowing down a warlock wont work. They either have to much burst, a minion that does the work, or their DoT's will simply finish you off.

All you can rly do is smart use of your spells.
    Stand close to him, AoE frost nova him on the spot if you have to.
    Do some instant burst spells and when he tries to use his first attack, simply blink behind him, use polymorph on him if you need to to finish his pet (wouldnt recommend it though).

Anyway, its prolly hard for you couse Warlocks seem to be the anti-class of mages. You might want to find a healer for this.
    Also mind that you have a low amount of HP on lvl 67. Warlocks can easily burst you down.
    Dawwwwwww

This is what I have been doing lately. Before duel I get as far away as possible put on ice barrier, dampen magic, mana shield, fire ward, take out elemental and put on icy veins. As the dual counts down the lock runs toward me and I continue to move back. I use my ele's frost nova and freeze them at a distance but felguard can't be frozen, at this moment he usually stuns me before my frost bolt goes off. So I stopped casting FB and instead I deep freeze spam ice lance, run towards the lock and after deep freeze wears out I frost nova and spam ice lance again. But while I do this his felguard is raping me and he usually uses a health stone or drain life and I just end up dying. Even without him using a health stone it is still hard for me to beat a lock, I have gotten close with this rotation, but not close enough.

Where and how can I improve?

mage armor+fire ward+dampen magic+magic absorption+frost warding=win

if he's destro, CS his fire school

if he's affliction, CS his fear/haunt/UA

summon pet at start

keep ice barrier up

rinse repeat

duelz r srs biznis

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    Rule #84 of WoW: Saying "Rotation" doesn't automatically make you a good player... or even a competent one.

Destro and affliction are not the big problem, its demonology that is.

if he's destro then just kite the shit out of him and his pet. demo form is your friend

You should be leveling not dueling, complain when your level 80.

Quote Originally Posted by Coreboom
    if he's destro then just kite the shit out of him and his pet. demo form is your friend
    Explain to me how kiting a ranged class who's goal is to keep you away from him a good idea?

Get to lvl 80

Get imp counterspell

Have mage armor up

Use pet

PeW pEw

???

profit
    Quote Originally Posted by General_Typhus View Post
    Hi i am any class in the game. To beat me spam icelance and then talk about how skilled you are when the 20k crits roll in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangostuff
    Explain to me how kiting a ranged class who's goal is to keep you away from him a good idea?
    because he's a melee class when he is in demon form...and his pet of choice is a fel guard...another melee.

First and foremost, I see no problem whatsoever in dueling at any given level. This is a game not a way of life. It I wanna duel at lvl 68, why not? Anyways, he usually never goes demon form its fel guard thats slicing my balls and he's in the back casting shadow bolt. If i do hurt him enough, its a simple healthstone + Drain life and the locks all fine and dandy!

because he's a melee class when he is in demon form...and his pet of choice is a fel guard...another melee.
    Your a fucking moron, warlock no matter what "form" they are in is a caster. In demon form they have full use of their spells that are increased 20%. With the 1m cd on the fel guard enrage they cant really be kited either

No, no we're not.

Quote Originally Posted by Izdog06
    Your a fucking moron, warlock no matter what "form" they are in is a caster. In demon form they have full use of their spells that are increased 20%. With the 1m cd on the fel guard enrage they cant really be kited either
    i was under the assumption that you lost the option of your normal spells and only had the use of your demon shit. anyway, doesn't change much. demo is the easiest lock tree to beat 1v1, outside of loldestro. the only "challenging" spec to duel is affli.

Quote Originally Posted by solracselbor
    First and foremost, I see no problem whatsoever in dueling at any given level. This is a game not a way of life. It I wanna duel at lvl 68, why not? Anyways, he usually never goes demon form its fel guard thats slicing my balls and he's in the back casting shadow bolt. If i do hurt him enough, its a simple healthstone + Drain life and the locks all fine and dandy!

The way i generally fight locks is Mage armor, dampen, fire ward, icebarrier. I don't usually need to blow every CD, only against the really geared locks. Anyways i usually start out with a fireblast, CoC(try and get the pet in the cone with the lock), and stay around his melee but not at melee range exactly just a little outside of the aoe fear box(you should be constantly moving like any good mage which lessens pet hits and blink the stun if you want), wait for him to cast anything shadow school which will likely be fear very early, and since your BE you need to save CS for his shadow school to lockout. Right after you CS a fear or whatever(make sure its shadow or you'll spend half the time CC'd), Nova(both cs and nova should be done almost silmutaneously), which should cc his pet at the same time and do a shatter combo. summon elemental do another shatter combo. He can't stop your casts since you locked out his shadow school, you just have to fit as much burst as possible within that lockout window. I wouldn't burn deep freeze until after the lockout window ends, hopefully you won't have to coldsnap it, rather than use a frostbite/2nd freeze for it.

You probably don't have imp CS but at least most of the frost talents at your level, and you should at least get some fof/bf procs at some point. Iceblock if you get a lot of dots, and i'd advise blocking before you allow yourself to get to half life. I think a lot of duels are pyschological based on health, and if they see you still near full life and you've already taken at least half his life down early, people tend to panic, so blocking early is worth it, and late is usually a panic move.

I never kill the pet in 1v1 unless its one of them seduction bitches. In which case he'll likely be destro and trying to nuke the shit out of you. In these situations i'll try and sheep the lock, kill the pet, and then work on the lock. fire ward is huge vs them and you should refresh it at every opportunity.

i was under the assumption that you lost the option of your normal spells and only had the use of your demon shit. anyway, doesn't change much. demo is the easiest lock tree to beat 1v1, outside of loldestro. the only "challenging" spec to duel is affli.
    hahahaha tell me you are joking, you are, right, ahahahaaha*cough*cough*

mage armor shits all over afflicition...

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetcheeks
    hahahaha tell me you are joking, you are, right, ahahahaaha*cough*cough*

mage armor shits all over afflicition...
    note the quotes around challenging my friend. out of all three specs, affli is the most annoying due to dealing the most damage that cannot be locked out, i.e. DoTs, even if they have their duration cut in half. destro is a joke and demo is just stupid.