3.0, 3.1, 3.2 and offtanks

Ok so I'm my guild's MT2. It was great at T7 content :Noth's adds, Anub's adds, Faerlina's adds, offtanking Razu's knights, tanking one part of gothik's encounter, 1 horseman, patchwerk, grobb's adds, gluth, stalagg/feugen, KT. Except 3 encounters, every one in naxx had some room for 2 (or more) tanks. Sartharion 3D was nice as well.

Now in Ulduar :
    - FL : lol
    - XT : 1 tank
    - Razorscale : offtanking
    - Kologarn : little offtanking
    - Auriaya : 15sec as a tank
    - etc etc
    Well what I mean is there's very little need of offtanks in Ulduar, except for trash. Every encounter needs one single tank, except for Thorim/Freya/IC. The other needing 2 tanks, you're doing nothing.

So, the question is... In 3.2, I haven't beed to the PTR, thos who fought the available encounters, is there a need for more than one tank ? I heard there was no trash, so you know, If I'm to never tank again, I'd rather see with my guild master if I can switch back to dps ! (I don't count for example Sartharion 0D's little flame elementals like a tanking job...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark
    I dont know why everyone expects thing to be rebuilt after a cataclysm. Last time i checked, earthquakes dont fix roofs.

Re: 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 and offtanks

Ok xt requires more than one tank .... ignis does too. A second tank helps a lot on p3 mimiron as well and on yogg saron ofc ... so ye ... only FL, Hodir, Vezax you need only 1 tank. And as you are second off tank its normal you get less action. Just get some dps gear and be a dps for the rest of the time. That way you will have a little more variable playing experience. Doing only one thing gets boring.

Quote Originally Posted by ilialilov
    Ok xt requires more than one tank .... ignis does too. A second tank helps a lot on p3 mimiron as well and on yogg saron ofc ... so ye ... only FL, Hodir, Vezax you need only 1 tank. And as you are second off tank its normal you get less action. Just get some dps gear and be a dps for the rest of the time. That way you will have a little more variable playing experience. Doing only one thing gets boring.
    ²
    Specs: I5 3570K - GTX 670 - 8 gb ram
    My youtube page: https://www.youtube.com/user/aldrashan

Ok xt requires more than one tank
    We do it with one.
    only FL, Hodir, Vezax you need only 1 tank.
    yep, and mimiron. The other ones, the offtank's job is shitty.
    Just get some dps gear and be a dps for the rest of the time.
    That's what I do, but the question is, how is 3.2 regarding offtanking so I know if I should consider speccing to DPS as my main spec, not to end up getting my leather DPS gear as always after the 3 rogues.
    I dont know why everyone expects thing to be rebuilt after a cataclysm. Last time i checked, earthquakes dont fix roofs.

oh you are a feral tank ... so you need to get a few rings/trinkets/neck/back and there you go ... imba dps . But still as far as i recall there is room for 2 tanks on all but one of the encounters ... (not sure)

xt hardmode requires 2 tanks, or 1 if u like that if ur dps sucks lolllol.
    Why ? You're really getting one guy specc tank to tank 2 robots ? One tank can do it...

but the answer to this thread is dual spec ftw.
    Thanks for not reading.

I don't think you guys understand what I ask. You seem to be in guilds where anyone rolls on any item, regardless of their main / offspec. That's not my case... If I'm a tank, then I should roll on tank gear, and for DPS gear, I should have it if nobody does.

Ok... new patch ... twin Valkyries 2 tanks ... nortren beasts 2-3 tanks ... fraction champions 2-3 tanks ( if its not some kind of arena event) ... lord jaraxus 2 tanks i guess ... maybe 3. And anub arak ... just one ... except if swarm scarabs need tanking (edit: just notice the pursue thing on anub ... so i guess only the scarabs will need tanking ... opening again a place for second tank ... so i guess yes .. we will have a job in new patch :P)

Quote Originally Posted by Rullis

Why would XT Hardmode need 2 tanks...more than likely none of the big adds will spawn, and if you're tanking the lifesparks then just go ahead and die.
    Quote Originally Posted by ViridianWRA View Post
    Seriously. Someone bookmark this. If we go all the way from 6.0 to 7.0 and there is never a paid Garrison feature on the blizzard store, I will go to the store, purchase a hat and film myself eating it.

15+ Year Old Account

New guild, maybe? You could always go back to Naxx25 and pick up some dps gear. Plenty of ways to gear yourself using emblems, especially when 3.2 hits.

If all you want to do is tank, a new guild might be for you. Or bring it up to your GM. Maybe rotate duties with the first MT/OT? Do whatever suits you.

Quote Originally Posted by Advent
    New guild, maybe? You could always go back to Naxx25 and pick up some dps gear. Plenty of ways to gear yourself using emblems, especially when 3.2 hits.

If all you want to do is tank, a new guild might be for you. Or bring it up to your GM. Maybe rotate duties with the first MT/OT? Do whatever suits you.
    I don't need a guild or gear I'm like Full Ulduar 25 DPS geared (except 3 or so from Ulduar 10, 2 pieces from pre-3.1)

Quote Originally Posted by Rullis

XT hard mode requires 1 tank?...that is really not necessary ,canbe easily done with one tank...

You dont really need 2 tanks for most of the fights in Ulduar
    Leviathan=dont need a tank spec at all
    Razorscale=no OT
    Ignis=can be done without OT (normal kill with an experienced hunter),or to be sure you can do it with an OT,and turning the fight into a classic MT/OT-boss/adds fight .On speed kill tho,no OT.
    XT=normal needs an OT,on Hardmode tho an OT doesent help at all
    Kologarn=normal kill,needs an OT for adds,but can be done without OT for [with open arms] achievement.
    Iron Council= Definetly needs 1 OT
    Auriaya=Needs an OT for adds
    Hodir= only 1 MT
    Thorim= 1MT,1OT
    Freya= 1 MT only
    Mimiron=1 MT+a ranged caster for phase 3 tanking head(mage,warlock,moonkin)
    Vezax= 1 MT
    Yogg= well yogg....we didnt downed him yet,because of a bugg,that put our melee/vision group from second phase into different visions,and we had only one attempt at him,because summer ruined our runs.but,so far we did him with only one tank,and we will still going to do it with one tank.

The up mentioned are of course 10 man version.And most of the fights depends on how good and skill is your main-tank,and from that you know if you need or not an OT for most of the Ulduar fights.
    As for Colliseum,we will see.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by ymann
    Freya= 1 MT only
    well... it's possible to let the tank take 2 adds and a range kite snaplasher but we do it usually with 3 tanks (may sounds retarded, but it's the way we do it).
    mt takes stormlasher
    and one tank each takes snaplasher and water elemental.

stormlasher is focussed to ~15-20%, then water ele (only caster) to ~15-20%. meanwhile, the snaplasher-tank makes pewpew aggro on him, and then just runs away. then dds focus snaplasher to death, while each 1 high dps are focussing the rest of storm and water down.

honestly, I can't imagine, how freya should work with only one tank. water ele would mess up the tanking position quite nice and as a result, lowering the overall melee dps more than it does when you would use 3 tanks (or at least two, 1 freya + storm, 1 water and a range snaplasher-kiting)

Quote Originally Posted by xebtria
    honestly, I can't imagine, how freya should work with only one tank. water ele would mess up the tanking position quite nice and as a result, lowering the overall melee dps more than it does when you would use 3 tanks (or at least two, 1 freya + storm, 1 water and a range snaplasher-kiting)
    Water Ele should (and usually is in most guilds) be always interupted by any melee. We're doing it with 2 tanks though. 1 tank tanking Freya + the Conservator or all adds + Freya could mean a rather quick death during Tremor.

And to the guy trying Yogg with 1 tank, good luck in P3 with your taunt cooldown.

he said he was talking about 10man :/ 1 tank is plenty for 10man yogg

True, my bad. Thought we're talking about 25 man here.

also even phase1 might be a bit of an issue in 25man with 1 tank :/ atleast the strat we use lol, we usually use 3 tanks for 25man yogg

Look, maybe you can manage without using an offtank for some fights, but if he's talking about being out of the job without a role, then you're not asking whether you can manage without the offtank, but rather if you can manage to fit the offtank in.

FL - Obviously no need for class roles
    Razorscale - Offtanking adds, switching the boss for debuffs
    Ignis - Tanking the adds
    XT - Tanking the robots, possibly the sparks as well if you were trying to do hard mode
    IC - You sort of need 2 tanks
    Kologarn - Tanking the adds when the arms drop
    Auriaya - Tanking the cats (you especially need this if you're doing the "hard mode" achievement)
    Hodir - You can go all out on frost resist gear and switch him during Frozen Blows (although to be honest you'd probably want to just go DPS if you do the hard mode)
    Thorim - Need 2 tanks
    Freya - Can tank one of the adds with the wave of 3
    Mimiron - Can tank some of the adds on phase 3
    Vezax - Can grab the boss and use your cooldowns on his Surge of Darkness if the MTs are down, tank the animus
    Yogg-saron - Makes managing all the Guardians easier.

The way I see it, Hodir is really the only fight where the hard mode is noticeably more challenging if you don't want to switch to DPS.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

there is a whole lot of fail in this thread,

my advise deal with it,

if you leave ur guild and dont go to a less progressed one, then your not even gonna be number 2 anymore.

a) Find a way to take over the Main Tank's Job,

b) Deal with it,

most guilds set up tanking however they see best,

also only Hodir hardmode needs 1 tank in the game, every other fight in some form or fashion needs 2 or more.

quit your bitching and accept your place, or out skill the MT and take his job