is there a competitve fire mage pvp spec?

Is there a fire pvp spec that is actually as or better performing than frost. I have heard of the PoM+pyroblast build on wow wiki, but is this pvp build actually viable in comparison? Also, out of curiosity, are there any top fire mages in pvp?

Re: is there a competitve fire mage pvp spec?

fire is not the pvp spec, frost and arcane both do better
    frost/arcane pvp specs
    fireball/ffb/arcane specs for pve

I really hope this not true, I just don't have much fun playing frost. If you hit more damage with fire, why would frost be better? The snares??

If the living bomb buff allowing us to cast on multiple targets actually makes it to retail patch than would that make fire spec more viable in pvp?

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by solracselbor
    I really hope this not true, I just don't have much fun playing frost. If you hit more damage with fire, why would frost be better? The snares??

If the living bomb buff allowing us to cast on multiple targets actually makes it to retail patch than would that make fire spec more viable in pvp?
    Problem is that Fire have very little survivability of any kind compared to the other specs. And most survivability talents in Arcane or Frost also increase damage done.

Fire have:
    Blazing Speed
    Burning Determination
    Molten Shields
    Blast Wave
    Fiery Payback
    Impact

Frost have:
    Summon Water Elemental -> Freeze
    Ice Barrier -> Shattered Barrier
    Faster CD on Frost Nova, Ice Barrier, Ice Block, Icy Veins etc
    Higher slow due to talents (+20% total)
    Deep Freeze
    Frostbite
    Frozen Core
    Frost Warding

All those abilities enhance Mage survivability.

Arcane have:
    Improved Blink
    Slow
    Magic Absorbtion
    Arcane Shielding
    Prismatic Cloak
    Arcane Fortitude
    Magic Attunement
    Improved Counterspell
    Arcane Flows

If you read the talent descriptions, you'll quickly see that Fire really is a lot more squishy than Arcane, which is far behind Frost on survivability.

I play as Arcane though, as I'm not good at sitting around doing nothing but casting Frost Nova/Freeze/Deep Freeze/Polymorph to help my team.

It is true. Frost focuses heavily on survivability and control. Fire does not, instead focusing on high damage output. Having high damage potential doesn't matter worth shit unless all of your burst is instant cast or you happen to be a melee class - which, incidentally, is why Arcane happens to work fairly well as a PvP spec.

You need control as a mage in order to win. Fire offers none.

Herein, we discuss matters of the utmost importance.

Lets define the OP's reference to PvP...

Sure fire might be fun to spam LB on everyone in BG's.

But fire will not work in Arena due to no survivability.

Think about it this way. Fire can be a piss off to a lot of people next patch simply because you can cast LB on multiple targets. As far as survivability goes, you'll be wearing all pvp gear(stacking crit>haste) and pillar fucking like no tommorow. Like arcane, however, have no ice barrier to cover your ass. But both arcane and fire favor damage>survivability which means if you play them right, all are viable.. just depends on what kind of player you are.

The only problem I see with fire is mana. Mana efficiency sucks but it is somewhat fixed in 3.2. I actually think fire may be pretty good as a pillar fucking spec for 3's/5's. Think about it. Cast LB on all targets, if in range, and run around a pillar. You can come out for cc and possibly a fireball if you have the time(rarely but still). If someone gets close, blast wave and continue pillar fucking. If they come up to you again, DB and Fireball. Remember, all in between you can get instant pyros. This means that, if you have the proc up and the time to do it(going for a kill let's say), you can cast Fireball and Instant pyro right after. That shit hits hard and, if both crit, another instant pyro possibly followed up by a counterspell, impact stun, DB, or BW. There's a lot of offensive things in fire to keep someone locked down for a while. The only problem is that after that lockdown.. you have a 20 second downtime or so.

All in all, fire is looking like a somewhat passive pillar fucking spec with random stuns and pryos for burst. I think it can be viable. It has the most tools out of all specs and would probably be the hardest to play, but I think it can be done if you play it right.

Fire- Pillar fuck/stuns/random burst
    Arcane- Burst/more surv than fire
    Frost- CC spec/more of a helper for a kill as opposed to a killer spec.

My pvp spec is a frostfire bolt spec. It is 0/53/18. It is essentially the forstfire bolt spec, but i take the pvp talents. I ditch almost all of the mana regen talents and precision and it lets me geat all the fire pvp talents, 1 point in improved blizzard for groups and 3 points in shatter.

This spec can be very frustrating sometimes but at others when im on my game it can be very good, your almost guaranteed a frostfire bolt crit when they are frost nova'd and combustion is basically a dead person or two every 3 minutes.

I also use 4 piece 8.5 with this spec for the pve stats and occasional double hot streak.
    Very squishy spec tho, so probably not good for any arena except maybe 5's but in bg's if you can control the urge to charge in and aoe and shout blam you can do very well.

ONE MORE THING living bomb glyph in next patch being able to crit and proc hot streak makes this spec more interesting. AND DONT FORGET living bomb on multiple targets. Every mage should try this spec after patch. Blazing speed.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...elgun&n=Anarch

You need control as a mage in order to win. Fire offers none.
    ,,,sight

Quote Originally Posted by solracselbor
    Is there a fire pvp spec that is actually as or better performing than frost.
    Just spec Frost, Fire is terrible for PVP.

Http://www.lordsofalex.net

So many false statment most of peopl here seems or I am very sure they dont know how to play fire spec at all anyway go and read this thread instead

http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=78605.0

Bgs fire is very much viable.

Arena we have hugh issue here dont go in there if you dont have any clue how to play fire mage and even if you do you have to struggle hard in there you need good arena team mate to play with.