Enhance dps, what should my avg be?

I had asked this over on the WoW class forums, but didn't get this particular question answered, and was directed over to these boards.

I have read everything posted in stickies both here and on EJ, I understand the stats/"rotation"/gear etc... I'm looking to find out if I am hitting the proper dps mark... or not. I am fairly new to enhancement and am doing this as a dual-spec when my guild needs more dps'rs on certain fights.

I'll copy my post I made on the other forum:

I am running with mostly Naxx 25 gear, about 3-4 of Uld 25, and only 1 of those pcs are Tier. They are all gemmed and enchanted properly according to these stickies, as are my talents.

Unbuffed -

Damage - 1070-1380
    Speed - 2.22
    Power - 3526
    Hit Rating - 395
    Crit Chance - 29.5%
    Expertise - 14

and Haste - 429

Raid buffed with consumables, I hit about 4700 attack power, and I believe the crit goes to 33%...can't remember it may be 42%?

On stationary fights in Ulduar, Im currently doing about 3500 dps. My rotation is exactly what is posted by Levva. I also pop spirit wolf after 2 rotations and can usually get them twice in a fight, sometimes 3 times. The only other thing I know I am "not" doing is dropping Magma totem... I have been forgetting about that, I need to jam a push pin note into my arm right before raid or something :-[

I feel like I should be doing more, but I'm just not sure. I know Levva posted that I should gem in order to get 26 expertise... which I can do np... but is everything else normal? Is 3500 usually what to expect with Naxx25 gear and my stats?

Thanks for your help

Re: Enhance dps, what should my avg be?

Are you gemming for haste? You probably should gem for AP.

Anyway, the Enhancement Simulator and Rawr can give you an idea of what your top DPS could be (if you were a machine).

Quote Originally Posted by Apra
    Are you gemming for haste? You probably should gem for AP.

Anyway, the Enhancement Simulator and Rawr can give you an idea of what your top DPS could be (if you were a machine).
    Yeah, there are some things a spreadsheet can't show, like if you're missing any chromosomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    Rule #84 of WoW: Saying "Rotation" doesn't automatically make you a good player... or even a competent one.

Are you getting all the melee buffs in your raids?

Enhance is my third spec, for which I have no set pieces but mostly 213+ ilvl and KT 25 Main Hand. Tried it in the first few fights of Ulduar this week (I am usually elemental but since those first few are melee friendly...) and I was getting, on average, a bit over 4k DPS. So I am guessing your DPS can be considered low. I must say that I did enchant/gem for hit/expertise in priority and I run with 14% spell hit and exactly 26 expertise, which might be why I am getting more DPS than you do.

What weapons are you using and does your guild use a combat log recorder aKa WWS/WMO/WoL so we could see how your damage is spread between all your abilities ?

Edit:
    My stats, completely unbuffed:
    Weapon damage: 1085-1283 (Using Calamity's Grasp and The Stray for weapons)
    Speed: 2.37/2.37 (251 haste)
    AP: 3396
    Hit: 346
    Crit: 26.17%
    Expertise: 26

I know you said you read the sticky FAQ, but you're still running with only 14 expertise and slightly more hit than you need. Get that expertise capped. Use gems and chants to get there even if you have to sacrifice AP for it. All the AP in the world won't help you if your attacks are being dodged. A link to your armory would be helpful so we could give you more specific advice.

In order of posts....

Apra - no, I am definately not gemming for haste, this is just the amount that is on the gear itself.

Norena - I'm pretty sure I am getting all the melee buffs, everyone is very good about covering all the buffs/totems/etc for that sort of thing. The expertise thing, I didn't realize until a few days ago when Levva mentioned it in his post.. that was something I missed when reading all the stickies.... going from 14 to 26 should be np for me to re-gem that. My weapons that I have are Vulmir, the Northern Tempest for main hand and Angry Dead in offhand. I do have charts, but I'll have to ask about posting them.

Thy - I think I covered your question above. So are both you and Norena saying that by me going from 14 to 26 expertise, my dps will go from 3500 to a little over 4k...?

and Nor so far is the only one who has given an "avg" dps number for a shaman in mostly Naxx 25 gear...he also listed his stats as a comparison... those look pretty close to mine, so is right around 4k the mark you would expect from mostly Naxx 25 gear?

I can't promise your dps will jump to over 4k just by capping expertise, but I wouldn't be suprised. All other things being equal between two shaman, the one with 26 expertise will do substantially more dps.

get EnhSim , play with it a bit, get used to it- as far as I understand its your offspec and youre not going to min-max , so you shouldn't be worried too much. So my advice would be- get caps sorted as close as you can( don't go over cap with hit if you can, get expertise to 26), ShockAndAwe is a great tool to get used to priority rotation and learning to use it(some use other addons for it), SAA will help you with magma totem refreshing issue also,and that should be a start.
    Rawr and Pawn are great tools too for evaluating gear/gems/enchants after siming with EnhSim,but yet again- for an offspec they cant really expect you to top charts.

Ok, I replaced a few gems and now expertise is 30 and hit rating is 347. I will check out EnhSim and SAA and see what I can get out of those. I realize that I'm not expected to top the charts, I just want to make sure I am doing what is the expected dps for my gear level, and try to at least contribute to the raid and not be a wasted spot.

Prob won't be able to re-evaluate until this coming weeks raid.

Thanks for the help thus far

All you need is 26 expertise. Anything over, if you attack the mobs from behind, is as good as spirit to you.

There are only +8 and + 16 gems... so I re-gemmed..

+8
    and
    +8

I had 14.. + 16...= 30

was that wrong?

Hmm maybe we were not clear about how expertise worked haha.

You need 26 expertise in your character tool tip. As an enhancement shaman, that means 140 expertise rating for 17 in the tooltip + 9 expertise from talent = 26 expertise.

Edit: Must've been tired with the old numbers. 140 is indeed the correct number for enhancement shamans.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Norena
    Hmm maybe we were not clear about how expertise worked haha.

You need 26 expertise in your character tool tip. To get that, you need a total of 208 expertise rating (8 rating becomes 1 expertise in the tool tip). Being an enhancement shaman, you get 9 expertise (equivalent of 9x8 rating for 72 rating) from talents. That means that you need a total of 136 expertise rating to be capped. So the 8 expertise from gem is actually 8 on 136, not 8 on 26.
    This post is correct, other than the amount of expertise needed to reach 26/26 is 140 rating with 3 points in the Unleashed Rage talent, atleast as far as I know If I'm mistaken I aplogize

And tbh, as far as DPS goes... Well I remember doing approx 4-5k in Naxx25 (unless my memory fails me) with about the same stats as you. What addons are you using to keep track of MsW stacks and such? I strongly suggest getting ShockAndAwe or Power Auras, they are really useful in more ways than one

Power Auras-tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgRtc6joRbo
    Power Auras in action: http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=119535 (yeah its me)

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Ertuu
    I have read everything posted in stickies both here and on EJ, I understand the stats/"rotation"/gear etc... They are all gemmed and enchanted properly according to these stickies, as are my talents.

Unbuffed -

Damage - 1070-1380
    Speed - 2.22
    Power - 3526
    Hit Rating - 395
    Crit Chance - 29.5%
    Expertise - 14

I know Levva posted that I should gem in order to get 26 expertise... which I can do np... but is everything else normal?
    You acknowledge your expertise is not capped you say you read the stickies but clearly you have completely failed to understand them. Your ABSOLUTE TOP priority is to ensure your yellow attacks never miss. Having only 14 expertise you are failing at this and losing up to 400-500dps from this alone.

Its very very difficult to judge how much dps you do as it varies a massive amount not just on which boss you are tackling but also it massively varies on how good the rest of your group is. A lot of buffs you get have short durations (procs from trinkets, bloodlust/heroism etc) if your raid has very high dps the "uptime" of these buffs is a far higher percentage and so their contribution to your dps is much more.

Its perfectly possible to normally pull 4k dps in an average group only 3k in a crap group and 5k in a great group without changing your gear on the same boss. Most people don't think about this but your raid composition can have a far higher impact on your dps that a whole lot of other things.

Obviously not to insult Enhance Shamans but do they need shock and awe they have the most simplistic rotation in teh game Shock SS maelstrom proc every 30 seconds.

<moderator edit: Post trolling crap like this again and you will get banned. You clearly are clueless about Enh Shammys>
    Resto Druids, the best health care system

Quote Originally Posted by doomchken
    Obviously not to insult Enhance Shamans but do they need shock and awe they have the most simplistic rotation in teh game Shock SS maelstrom proc every 30 seconds.
    ...you dont even have a shaman, do you?
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

You sir have no idea or concept and are clearly troll'ing

please leave before you are forced out kkthxbai
    Raining Pandarens because of the bouncy racial?
    Quote Originally Posted by rokatoro View Post
    Some Might say it was... (•_•).....( •_•)>⌐■-■....(⌐■_■) A heavy Rain.
    I'm so sorry ;_;

that's like saying moonkins just need to spam wrath 'till eclipse procs - then spam starfire..

get a grip

Sorry for being a "complete failure", I apologize for wasting all of your time everyone.

You are welcome to delete the thread if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertuu
    Sorry for being a "complete failure", I apologize for wasting all of your time everyone.

You are welcome to delete the thread if you want.
    I wouldn't take it that way. Levva gets fairly impatient about the basics, regardless of how much of a disclaimer you put on your post.

Like others have said, 140 expertise "rating* (i.e. 26 expertise) is what you want. Outside of that, it sounds to me like you're doing just fine. Depending on the fight, I've ranged from less than 4k (say, Vezax, where I'm on interrupt duty), to over 8.5k on gimmick fights like Hodir. A "normal" patchwerk-style boss fight might be 5500 to 6000 dps.