Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #21

    Re: Critical Strike Cap FAQ

    That was quite a lot of reading. I got jumped around to 3 or 4 different topics, including ones on the warrior forums.

    So if I am not mistaken we can treat this new crit to hit conversion as a constant unchanged value similar to glancing?

    As follows?

    Crit Cap = 100 - Glancing - Boss Crit to Hit Conversion - Dodge - Miss

    in other words...

    Crit Cap = 100 - 24 - 4.8 - ([214 - X] * 0.000305) - ([722 - Y] * 0.000305)

    Where X = your current expertise rating and Y = your current hit rating. This is unless you are Combat. If you are Combat and you have the weapon expertise talent the 214 figure should be changed to 132. Also if you are Alliance and you have Heroic Presence (Draenei racial aura) active, then be sure to add 32.79 to whatever hit rating you have.
    "Our logic is actually pretty simple. If hybrid classes can do the same dps as pure classes, then why have pure classes in the game? So we design the pure classes to do slightly higher dps." -Ghostcrawler 3/22/2009
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=15864857264&pageNo=4&sid=1#66

  2. #22

    Re: Critical Strike Cap FAQ

    Lets not have this end up pages back eh. Thought Positif said it was going to be stickied?

  3. #23

    Re: Critical Strike Cap FAQ

    It was for a while but the sticky section began to get congested. So instead he put a link to this thread in the "read before posting" sticky.

    Sadly nobody reads it before posting.
    "Our logic is actually pretty simple. If hybrid classes can do the same dps as pure classes, then why have pure classes in the game? So we design the pure classes to do slightly higher dps." -Ghostcrawler 3/22/2009
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=15864857264&pageNo=4&sid=1#66

  4. #24

    Re: Critical Strike Cap FAQ

    NICE. Thanks alot NonMagical. This is a very informative post and every rogue should take it to heart. Due to my Mark of supremacy trinket i am getting very close to crit cap. Cant wait to get rid of that nightmare. Thanks again.

    Although newb, newbie, noob, and n00b all have similar definitions, there are key differences amongst them. A newb or newbie is a new user who has an understandable lack of experience; a noob or n00b, on the other hand, is an unskilled player who is not a newbie and should know better

  5. #25

    Re: Critical Strike Cap FAQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Bladesinger
    NICE. Thanks alot NonMagical. This is a very informative post and every rogue should take it to heart. Due to my Mark of supremacy trinket i am getting very close to crit cap. Cant wait to get rid of that nightmare. Thanks again.
    Mark of Supremacy actually increases your critcap, as it grants hit, not crit. So dropping it would pretty much be a dpsloss, if I see that right, as you'd get above the critcap without it then.

    So yeah, unless you're already far above the hitcap, using Mark of Supremacy doesn't really get you closer to the critcap. [Tbh, it doesn't really "get you" anywhere, it pretty much just changes the critcap and brings the critcap closer to your critvalues, although that's, as said, only the case if you're already above the critcap.]
    It's astonishing how confused people get when a sentence does not end as they potato.

  6. #26
    Mechagnome ovideozn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bucharest
    Posts
    700

    Re: Critical Strike Cap FAQ

    I once had a macro who calculated my total avoidance (by taking in consideration my defense and dodge chance), can you please make one to calculate one's crit cap by taking into consideration his hit rating and expertise ?

    note: you will need to make 1 macro for spells and 1 for melee

  7. #27

    Re: Critical Strike Cap FAQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Mushrøømz
    I once had a macro who calculated my total avoidance (by taking in consideration my defense and dodge chance), can you please make one to calculate one's crit cap by taking into consideration his hit rating and expertise ?

    note: you will need to make 1 macro for spells and 1 for melee
    Spellcritcap is irrelevant, as there's no glancing for spells. [Only partial resist, and that applies to crits aswell.]
    So yeah, once you've got 90%+ critchance we can talk about it.
    It's astonishing how confused people get when a sentence does not end as they potato.

  8. #28

    Re: Critical Strike Cap FAQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Mushrøømz
    I once had a macro who calculated my total avoidance (by taking in consideration my defense and dodge chance), can you please make one to calculate one's crit cap by taking into consideration his hit rating and expertise ?

    note: you will need to make 1 macro for spells and 1 for melee
    I have never messed with macros and know nothing about how to write one. The formula is on the front page for anyone who wants to write it (I'll even link it on the front page with your name as the author).

    Edit: Found this as a good starting off point for anybody wanting to mess with macros. It's a Block Cap Calculator from WoWWiki (http://www.wowwiki.com/Useful_macros_for_paladins)

    /script dr=function(x)return 1/(1/16+0.9560/x)end;DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage
    ("Need 102.4 combat table coverage. Currently at: "..GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance()
    +GetParryChance()+5+dr(GetCombatRating(CR_DEFENSE_SKILL)/122.962))
    Edit2: What you would need to use is the combat rating API functions for expertise rating and hit rating which are GetCombatRating(24) and GetCombatRating(6), respectively.

    Edit3: Using the above structure, the following might be a really basic example of one:

    /script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage ("Your crit cap for white attacks is "..(0.712-(214-GetCombatRating(24))*0.000305-(722-GetCombatRating(6))*0.000305)*100)

    Somebody run that macro in WoW (I don't have it installed) and tell me if it even returns a value, and if it does if it is somewhat accurate. Note, the above figures assume NO Heroic Presence and NO Weapon Expertise. So if you want to compare it to the calculator make sure those things are properly unselected.

    Update: Just had a friend run that macro and it isn't returning anything right now. Something is wrong with how it is written. Kind of a pain to test it on my end >_<

    Update2: Macro is written correctly now, but tested on a paladin (so gave back funky numbers). Somebody test on their Rogue



    MACRO NOW WORKS CORRECTLY:

    /script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage ("Your crit cap for white attacks is "..(0.712-(214-GetCombatRating(24))*0.000305-(722-GetCombatRating(6))*0.000305)*100)

    Enjoy

    If you want to include heroic presence, add 0.01 somewhere in the equation. On second thought just subtract 33 (or 32.79 if you want it more accurate) from the 722 if you want to include heroic presence. While 0.01 does work mostly, if you happen to be hit and expertise capped it will give you a false number. Also you need to adjust the 214 and the 722 figure if you are not 5/5 Precision and 0/2 Weapon Expertise.

    Note: I'm not entirely sure what will happen if you go ABOVE the caps as it will actually start spitting back negative numbers. The only thing you should ever be going a little over though is expertise, and that will usually be by a small amount. At the moment I'm not sure how to solve this problem, so sorry!
    "Our logic is actually pretty simple. If hybrid classes can do the same dps as pure classes, then why have pure classes in the game? So we design the pure classes to do slightly higher dps." -Ghostcrawler 3/22/2009
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=15864857264&pageNo=4&sid=1#66

  9. #29
    Mechagnome ovideozn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bucharest
    Posts
    700

    Re: Critical Strike Cap FAQ

    Tnx, i'll try it next time i go online, cba now.

    Btw u forgot the author rights :-\



    JK ;D

  10. #30

    Re: Critical Strike Cap FAQ

    You want me to list myself as the author? Cause I am. o_o;
    "Our logic is actually pretty simple. If hybrid classes can do the same dps as pure classes, then why have pure classes in the game? So we design the pure classes to do slightly higher dps." -Ghostcrawler 3/22/2009
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=15864857264&pageNo=4&sid=1#66

  11. #31
    Mechagnome ovideozn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bucharest
    Posts
    700

    Re: Critical Strike Cap FAQ

    quoting you
    I'll even link it on the front page with your name as the author

  12. #32

    Re: Critical Strike Cap FAQ

    Perhaps you should quote the whole sentence.

    The formula is on the front page for anyone who wants to write it (I'll even link it on the front page with your name as the author).
    IE For whoever writes a working one I will give them full credit.
    "Our logic is actually pretty simple. If hybrid classes can do the same dps as pure classes, then why have pure classes in the game? So we design the pure classes to do slightly higher dps." -Ghostcrawler 3/22/2009
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=15864857264&pageNo=4&sid=1#66

  13. #33
    Mechagnome ovideozn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bucharest
    Posts
    700

    Re: Critical Strike Cap FAQ

    i misunderstood it because you said 'you' in a phrase after quoting me...

  14. #34

    Re: Critical Strike Cap FAQ

    *Bump* Please sticky this, Lots of time and work went into this, and it is very acurate..

  15. #35

    Re: Critical Strike Cap FAQ

    Should sticky this! Just a question here since i'm quite confused right now. According to the Thread Mutilate Compendium, it says that 26/26 expertise = capped. However when i use the calculator it says

    EDIT:

    "You are missing 0 expertise rating! That is 0.00% dodge!
    You are missing 137 hit rating! That is 4.18% miss!
    Your crit cap is 61.50% for white hits against bosses!"

    Does this mean i'm still missing expertise and hit rating? Should i get more hit rating and more Expertise ratings? My current stats are as below :

    Hit Rating : 585
    Expertise Rating : 272
    Crit chance : 40.85%

    Thank you Scyy and VoiJ.

    Edit: Is it advisable to cap hit rating for White? or is it fine with just poison cap?

  16. #36

    Re: Critical Strike Cap FAQ

    scroll over your expertise rating in char sheet and there should be a bigger number, you put that in the calc.

  17. #37

    Re: Critical Strike Cap FAQ

    Quote Originally Posted by jasperkillsyou
    Should sticky this! Just a question here since i'm quite confused right now. According to the Thread Mutilate Compendium, it says that 26/26 expertise = capped. However when i use the calculator it says

    "You are missing 181 expertise rating! That is 5.52% dodge!
    You are missing 137 hit rating! That is 4.18% miss!
    Your crit cap is 61.50% for white hits against bosses!"

    Does this mean i'm still missing expertise and hit rating? Should i get more hit rating and more Expertise ratings? My current stats are as below :

    Hit Rating : 585
    Expertise 33/33
    Crit chance : 40.85%

    Thanks!
    As Scyy said, expertise is not the same as expertise rating.
    It's astonishing how confused people get when a sentence does not end as they potato.

  18. #38

    Re: Critical Strike Cap FAQ

    ""Nvidal: There is no need to incorporate Heart of the Crusader / Totem of Wrath into the actual equation as those adjust your crit% on your character sheet""

    Im afraid that Heart of the crusader and Totem of wrath dont actually change a player's crit, but rather increases the chance a mob will get critted. How sure are we that it counts towards the crit cap or not? Have there been tests on it?

  19. #39

    Re: Critical Strike Cap FAQ

    Quote Originally Posted by bestpike
    ""Nvidal: There is no need to incorporate Heart of the Crusader / Totem of Wrath into the actual equation as those adjust your crit% on your character sheet""

    Im afraid that Heart of the crusader and Totem of wrath dont actually change a player's crit, but rather increases the chance a mob will get critted. How sure are we that it counts towards the crit cap or not? Have there been tests on it?
    Err I was not thinking properly when I worded that, but my point still stands. What your actual crit chance is is irrelevant in the calculation of what your max crit chance can be. While the two obviously relate to each other, one is not used in the actual equation of the other.

    What I meant to say when I said "adjusts your crit% on your character sheet" was that it adjusts your crit%. Read: not your max crit%.

    One way to think about this in other terms is that your crit cap is an empty cup. Your actual crit% is the water you pour into the cup. The amount of water (the amount of crit you have) does not affect the size of the cup (your max crit).

    Edit: To answer your last query, I am sure of this up to the point that it is general accepted knowledge. If you would like to provide extensive evidence countering this agreed upon logic then I encourage you to do so, but alas this isn't the place to do so. As this thread is merely a collection of assorted assumptions about the mechanics of WoW from other sources such as (but not limited to) the likes of EJ, then you'd find a better audience on their forums.

    Perhaps you may even find a post over there with somebody also claiming that. If you do and can link me to such an argument I would be more than happy to look into it and adjust my original calculations and FAQ.

    Edit2: In order to theorycraft yourself on the subject, I think it might be easier for you to look at the problem in the opposite direction. It seems you are thinking first that such and such is your max crit, and thus questioning whether HotC or ToW raise that number. Instead, I think you should first note what is unchangeable. Follow:

    24% of your attacks must glance. They CAN NOT be crits.
    4.8% of your crits are converted automatically into standard hits. This number, regardless of what your max crit% is, must be true.

    Therefore 100%-24%-4.8%=71.2% leftover possibilities for attack rolls. That is the hard cap. And my argument stands.
    "Our logic is actually pretty simple. If hybrid classes can do the same dps as pure classes, then why have pure classes in the game? So we design the pure classes to do slightly higher dps." -Ghostcrawler 3/22/2009
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=15864857264&pageNo=4&sid=1#66

  20. #40

    Re: Critical Strike Cap FAQ

    I wasnt trying to disagree with you. I was trying to see how sure you were about it. You didnt provide any evidence on the subject whatsoever, except that it is "common knowledge". So i dont know how your argument still stands, as you dont have one. You just assume.

    Edit: I'm also searching regularly the EJ forums to find the answer to this, and i havent been able to find anything yet. Some people say it counts towards the crit cap, some say it doesnt. So this common accepted knowledge that you mentioned is nowhere to be found among the theorycrafters.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •