Diminishing returns?

I've been off WoW for a while now, only casually playing on alts mostly. Now that my focus is back on my warrior for end-game, I've been reading a bit about gear, recent changes, ect ect but the one thing that I don't see is...

Yeah, Dodge diminishing returns? I used to tank TBC, I've never heard of such things. Just wondered if anyone could enlighten me on it.

Re: Diminishing returns?

Quote Originally Posted by Zhek
    I've been off WoW for a while now, only casually playing on alts mostly. Now that my focus is back on my warrior for end-game, I've been reading a bit about gear, recent changes, ect ect but the one thing that I don't see is...

Yeah, Dodge diminishing returns? I used to tank TBC, I've never heard of such things. Just wondered if anyone could enlighten me on it.
    Melee mitigation diminishing returns are not quite the same as PVP spell diminishing returns. To clarify, a PVP spell diminishing return (or any Crowd Control subject to Diminishing returns) means that the first spell cast will have its normal duration, but the second time it is applied it will have a 50% duration (i.e. Polymorph for 10 secs on first cast, 5 secs on second cast). This happens one more time at 75% then the target becomes immune for a short period of time. This is to prevent chain CCing and locking a player out of the ability to fight back completly.

For Dodge, Parry and Block values, diminishing returns means that as you stack up more of each in terms or rating or stats, it takes more rating to give you the same benefit. I.E. if 10 dodge rating gave you 1% dodge, you can stack 100 dodge rating currently to get 10% dodge, then diminishing returns kick in, at which point that next 1% dodge would require 13 dodge rating. So you would need 113 dodge rating to get 11% dodge. This will happen at 13 dodge rating = 1% til say, maybe 15% dodge, and then it becomes 16 dodge rating = 1%.

All the numbers are examples, and there is a formula on wowwiki that you can actually figure out what your actual dodge % will be based on the amount of rating (and even compare it to what it would of been without diminishing returns). The reason this occured is because better gear always contained more and more avoidance, and theoretically, in TBC some warriors had so much that they could avoid hitting some abilities that at that time were required for them to not get killed. If Blizzard didn't applied DR's, then my current setup of dodge, parry and block on my warrior would be over 100% avoidance.