15+ Year Old Account

whats Mage pvp like in 3.2/Season 7

i was wondering how mages are doing in 3.2/season 7
    Unfortunately, until the people at Blizzard take time to quit explaining why they are right and anyone who disagrees is wrong, they are not going to even hear everyone speaking out desperately trying to warn them the ship is sinking.
    the problems driving players from WoW aren't content or the age of the game, the problem is how the game experience and design philosophy are being undermined by Blizzard's hubris and greed.

Re: whats Mage pvp like in 3.2/Season 7

My mage ain't max lvl and i don't know all to much about 'em

BUT, what i got confidence to say is that they will be buffed in many ways

especially frost which is allso the best spec atm.

COPY FROM PTR PATCH NOTES

Classes: General

All pets now receive 40% of their master's resilience and 100% of their master's spell penetration. In addition, if a player is at their appropriate spell hit chance or hit chance maximum, their pet will be at the maximum for spell hit chance, hit chance, and expertise. If they are below the maximum, their pet will be proportionately below those maximums.

Replenishment: This buff now grants 1% of the target's maximum mana over 5 seconds instead of 0.25% per second. This applies to all 5 sources of Replenishment (Vampiric Touch, Judgements of the Wise, Hunting Party, Enduring Winter Frostbolts and Soul Leech).

aka water elemental will (i guess) not miss with freeze and waterbolts along with not dieng as ezy.
    and more mana wont hurt

Mages

Arcane Blast: Mana cost reduced by 12%.

Frost Bolt, Cone of Cold, Frost Ward, Ice Armor, Frost Armor, Frost Nova, Ice Lance, and Ice Barrier: The mana cost on these spells has been reduced by approximately 15%.

Invisibility: Can no longer be interrupted by a hostile action or damage done during the 3-second Fade time, however an invisible mage is still vulnerable to Stun and Silence effects.

Talents
    Frost

Empowered Frostbolt: Instead of increasing critical strike chance by 2/4%, this talent now reduces the cast time of Frostbolt by 0.1/0.2 seconds.

Permafrost: In addition to its existing effects, this talent now also causes the mage's Chill effects to reduce healing received by the victim by 7/13/20%.

This is only the frost changes as i see they are the important ones, and all are buffs except maybe empowered frostbolt not a huge buff but a nice change. (getting that first frostbolt off is so important)

as for the resillience change it might be that frost wont be AS viable as it is atm, probs arcane and fire (more burst) will get some more attention, but frost will still be the king.

allso notice with the resillience u wont die as ezy either

hope this helped u with some answers

Brudish

Well considering frost was allready considered OP by a lot of people, the buffs in 3.2 can only make it better. so if played right the mage should do really bloody well.

you guys have to look at it that we are getting nerfed with survivability going up across the board. All of our damage spells will be doing a lot less with everyone having much higher resilience values. burst will be marginalized a lot more. we're a DPS class that is more marginalized by higher survivability because our DPS requires long casts generally, and we don't generally kill players in a stunlock while laying 50% MS poisons.

You just can't look at it like these are all buffs, or that our survivability is going up as a buff since its going up across the board for EVERY class.

Theres a reason why Blizzard is buffing frost, when arguably its currently fine, after their experiences on test. From what i've read killing players, especially healers is almost impossible in duels, and MS has become almost required. If you think about the cushions healers will have to outheal DPS in a across the board much higher survivability state, i have a feeling we're going to need every buff we can get. We'll see.

dude....1% mana over 5 seconds is 0.20% mana per second, which is a 0.05% nerf not a buff....

Quote Originally Posted by Brudish
    Well considering frost was allready considered OP by a lot of people, the buffs in 3.2 can only make it better. so if played right the mage should do really bloody well.
    Consider that frost mages are ONLY considered viable and OP in a single 3s comp - MPR.

The reality is the extreme CC utilized by that comp needs to be nerfed -- not just for that comp, but for all comps.  And then many of the underperforming classes, including frost mages, need to be buffed up in survival skills and (in a few cases) damage to be competitive.

Edit: Hypothetically that's one of the things that need to be done to increase the number of viable comps in arenas. It would also make the game more fun in Arena PVP instead of being a game of "I wasn't in control of my character that entire match"

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelbot
    Consider that frost mages are ONLY considered viable and OP in a single 3s comp - MPR.

The reality is the extreme CC utilized by that comp needs to be nerfed -- not just for that comp, but for all comps. And then many of the underperforming classes, including frost mages, need to be buffed up in survival skills and (in a few cases) damage to be competitive.

Edit: Hypothetically that's one of the things that need to be done to increase the number of viable comps in arenas. It would also make the game more fun in Arena PVP instead of being a game of "I wasn't in control of my character that entire match"
    mages are also OP in Sham/hunter/mage and Mage/destro/Rdruid
    70 Warlock - The Scryers
    80 Hunter - Gorefiend
    80 Druid - Gorefiend
    80 Death knight - Gorefiend
    80 Shaman - Gorefiend
    80 Mage - Gorefiend

Quote Originally Posted by Coreboom
    dude....1% mana over 5 seconds is 0.20% mana per second, which is a 0.05% nerf not a buff....
    ye, sry :-\

missread it and thought it ment 1% each seccond for 5 sec or something, not sure what i thought, but your right it's a nerf :-X

I think killing healers is going to be a bit easier considering all of the changes, the MS just outweighs the overall damage nerf in my eyes.  But hey, won't know until the patch hits.

I forsee some awesomeness across the board within all brackets of arena, but RMP will still be dominant as hell in 3v3.  Things should get interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangostuff
    I think killing healers is going to be a bit easier considering all of the changes, the MS just outweighs the overall damage nerf in my eyes.
    Rly why u believe killing healers will be easier?They will have more resil with new gear and epic gems and the MS wont stack with wound poison so every MR team will have rly big problems against druid/warr-dk or hpala/dk.And as far as im concered the empowered frostbolt change is a nerf since its all about giving full burst using all cds and with 400haste that u can easily have now(after patch easily 600)the wg trinket that gives 375haste+icy veins the last thing i need is a reduced casting time.

Quote Originally Posted by MuFeRmAn
    Rly why u believe killing healers will be easier?They will have more resil with new gear and epic gems and the MS wont stack with wound poison so every MR team will have rly big problems against druid/warr-dk or hpala/dk.And as far as im concered the empowered frostbolt change is a nerf since its all about giving full burst using all cds and with 400haste that u can easily have now(after patch easily 600)the wg trinket that gives 375haste+icy veins the last thing i need is a reduced casting time.
    .....for frost pvp haste is always better than crit, and blizzard realized this, so far as to go into the frost tree and adding a god damn haste talent. empowered frostbolt is a buff, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaavis

Theres a reason why Blizzard is buffing frost, when arguably its currently fine, after their experiences on test.
    i beg to differ, i remember a time when we could constantly get 8 - 12k crits on ppl, much like other classes, but b/c our survivability is slightly higher than other classes ppl qq and got us nerfed. its been a while since ive gotten 8k+ that wasnt a shatter combo.

Quote Originally Posted by TfK_Psych
    i beg to differ, i remember a time when we could constantly get 8 - 12k crits on ppl, much like other classes, but b/c our survivability is slightly higher than other classes ppl qq and got us nerfed. its been a while since ive gotten 8k+ that wasnt a shatter combo.
    and you shouldn't be getting 8k crits on people, especially not as frost. they would have to be in full pvp gear, and so would you. since frostbolt has a 91.43% spellpower coefficient, and a 200% crit modifier, an 8k crit would be a 4k hit.

I have got to say that I am very happy with the changes thus far. -15% mana cost to all our main spells, -.2 seconds off of frostbolt AND 20% MS. I didn't do any arena but i dont need to in order to know that its going to be amazing.
    70 Warlock - The Scryers
    80 Hunter - Gorefiend
    80 Druid - Gorefiend
    80 Death knight - Gorefiend
    80 Shaman - Gorefiend
    80 Mage - Gorefiend