Lightwell: Two Applications

I see on the forums slot of hate about this spell. Frankly I've found this spell to be very good however I noticed that nobody that I've read yet has used it like I have. Everyone seems to complain that DPS don't use it and they're very right but frankly I don't want the DPS to use it. Here's what I do for PvE:

Lightwell tank healing:
    Allow me to exlain. Lightwell can be used while stunned which increases it's further use. There are alot of fights where the tank stands in one place or moves very little. I place a lightwell behind the tank and during times of stressful damage or mass stunning he'll use it. It's an emergency heal that's right there for the tank to use at his own disrection. You may call me silly but I glyphed lightwell and it's healing for around 5k (after fully buffed) every 2 seconds for 6 seconds. And best of all there are 10 charges for him. This application of lightwell has proven invaluable. And I know some of you maybe be saying it'll be dispelled with enough damage but I have yet to see the tank lose the lightwell renew before the 6 seconds has ended.

PvP healing:
    lightwell is amazing here as well mostly because the vast majority of your enemies don't know WTF to do about you healing yourself at the lightwell. You can destroy it but I haven't met an opponent that knew that you can do that.

All in all I love lightwell the way it is. I just thought I'd share my experience with it since it's gone unmentioned. Feel free to comment.

Re: Lightwell: Two Applications

Quote Originally Posted by Navia
    Lightwell tank healing:
    Allow me to exlain. Lightwell can be used while stunned which increases it's further use. There are alot of fights where the tank stands in one place or moves very little. I place a lightwell behind the tank and during times of stressful damage or mass stunning he'll use it. It's an emergency heal that's right there for the tank to use at his own disrection. You may call me silly but I glyphed lightwell and it's healing for around 5k (after fully buffed) every 2 seconds for 6 seconds. And best of all there are 10 charges for him. This application of lightwell has proven invaluable. And I know some of you maybe be saying it'll be dispelled with enough damage but I have yet to see the tank lose the lightwell renew before the 6 seconds has ended.
    It breaks on 30% damage taken which, for a tank with 45k health, that's a hit of 13.5k, which is a pretty wimpy hit for most Ulduar bosses. I can see that it's nice for him to have another option for surviving certain stressful situations, but that's what tank and healer cooldowns are all for. A heal of 5k 2s after clicking on the Lightwell probably won't save a tanks life. So I don't really see this being very useful except maybe easier content.

PvP healing:
    lightwell is amazing here as well mostly because the vast majority of your enemies don't know WTF to do about you healing yourself at the lightwell. You can destroy it but I haven't met an opponent that knew that you can do that.
    Are you doing Arena as Holy? If think Discipline is just that much better than Holy for Arena that I don't know how you'd get it; however, if you were Holy, I could agree with it being pretty sweet there. If you're talking about BGs, chances are for every member of the opposing faction that doesn't know you can destroy it, you have 2 DPS on your team that don't know how to click on it. In fact, I'd say it's probably at least as likely that your enemies simply don't bother to destroy it because they know that no one is going to bother to click on it.

All in all, I could never get people to use it, even when I would call out on vent "dropping Lightwell next to melee" or the like, and since I already feel strapped for Talent points as Holy, I just can't justify picking it up.

15+ Year Old Account

Lightwell tank healing:
    Allow me to exlain. Lightwell can be used while stunned which increases it's further use. There are alot of fights where the tank stands in one place or moves very little. I place a lightwell behind the tank and during times of stressful damage or mass stunning he'll use it.
    I'm sorry but "mass stunning"? What boss fights are you healing.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos-
    Isn't it obvious? Mr. Smite. He gets angry...

Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos-
    Well since you're interested I'd say the spider boss in Naxx would be a good example. As for the applications themselves would you like to comment on?

I'm afraid ,no matter how hard you try to support this spell, the only way for someone to use it in serious raids, is to add a "You are doing +x% damage while under the healing effects of lightwell".

No dpsers have time to check for a lightwell, while they are (too?) busy to maximize their dps throughout all their Cds , trinkets , active buffs , expiring debuffs on target, etc.

As for the tanks, they have their own life-savier Cds for moments such those big ugly stuns.

You also forget that it can be used as a marker for the people that cant dance in Naxx...
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

Are you doing Arena as Holy? If think Discipline is just that much better than Holy for Arena that I don't know how you'd get it; however, if you were Holy, I could agree with it being pretty sweet there. If you're talking about BGs, chances are for every member of the opposing faction that doesn't know you can destroy it, you have 2 DPS on your team that don't know how to click on it. In fact, I'd say it's probably at least as likely that your enemies simply don't bother to destroy it because they know that no one is going to bother to click on it.
    Actually I was referring more to healing myself while in BGs because you're usually the target. It helps alot. I'm not concerned about the DPS clicking it and I also do BGs with a party of guildies that defend me so I'm a bit spoiled in that sense lol.

Quote Originally Posted by manio22
    I'm afraid ,no matter how hard you try to support this spell, the only way for someone to use it in serious raids, is to add a "You are doing +x% damage while under the healing effects of lightwell".

No dpsers have time to check for a lightwell, while they are (too?) busy to maximize their dps throughout all their Cds , trinkets , active buffs , expiring debuffs on target, etc.

As for the tanks, they have their own life-savier Cds for moments such those big ugly stuns.
    You would be correct that tanks have their own stuff however when thats not enough the lightwell provides support. That's like saying, "this car has seatbelts, WTF do we need airbags for?". It can save and that's how I see it And I will agree that lightwell could use a change. However until then these are the useful applications I've found until that change.

To be honest, when I entered the new dungeon and saw the priest mob with a "Fountain of Light" I felt a bit like priests everywhere were slapped in the face. Anybody else know what I'm talking about?

You just need to place LW in a place where you know the DPS are going to be on the move and not DPSing. That, however, is hard to predict.

I wish they would come up with an idea to replace Lightwell. But instead of testing it on the PTR, they should just give it to a boss in a new 5-man or something.

..oh wait.

Actually I was referring more to healing myself while in BGs because you're usually the target. It helps alot. I'm not concerned about the DPS clicking it and I also do BGs with a party of guildies that defend me so I'm a bit spoiled in that sense lol.
    In that sense, I can see it being useful in BGs if you're going to be somewhere for a while, like defending an AB cap or the like. I do think Holy works out just fine for PVP in BGs, so I could see putting together a Holy PVP spec for BGs that included Lightwell. Still, that's an awfully tight niche for Lightwell.

I use lightwell for me, its only 1 tallent so i get it. It doesnt blow a universal cooldown, so i'm free to cast another heal.

Most people dont like this spell becuase they only get to use it once or so in a fight. Its also not a required spell, meaning that you dont NEED to use it for a fight. People tend to skip over thing and make due without them just becuase they arnt needed.

And there are plenty of fights where i pop it next to the mele/tank, right at the start.

you can still press your dps keys while clicking on the lightwell.

Maby thats the problem, rogues having like 6 keybinds for a fight dont like having to use their mouse.
    When people say "pls" just because its shorter then "please", I feel totally justified to say "No" just because its shorter then "Yes".

You would be correct that tanks have their own stuff however when thats not enough the lightwell provides support. That's like saying, "this car has seatbelts, WTF do we need airbags for?". It can save and that's how I see it And I will agree that lightwell could use a change. However until then these are the useful applications I've found until that change.
    I'm not really sure that's a fair analogy. Compare a 5k tick 2s after you click on it, to a 60% less damage for 12s (Shield Wall), 40% more healing and saved from death (Guardian Spirit), 40% less damage for 8s (Pain Suppression), etc. and the life-saving value difference is far greater than comparing seatbelts to airbags. That is, yes, I think there are some situations where it could save the tanks life, but it's hard to imagine it in anything but a purely theoretical context, and is that enough to warrant spending the talent point?

To be honest, when I entered the new dungeon and saw the priest mob with a "Fountain of Light" I felt a bit like priests everywhere were slapped in the face. Anybody else know what I'm talking about?
    You know, I'm not sure there could have been an easier way to get Spiritus to post to this thread. :P

OH.... use it on your range tank on the 2 Jourmungars phase of Northrend Beasts. If the Range tank healer gets poisoned and paralyzed... lightwell can keep him up long enough for another healer to rotate over.

Unfortunately, it only works for the 1st pull.

lol. I just looked up Spiritus' latest posts and he says "slap in the face" as well. It seems we have found common ground. :P

I'm actually impressed though with the silence on the official forums. When I first saw the revamped lightwell I went to the forums expecting some serious QQ. But I found nothing sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by [-Spiritus-
    ]
    OH.... use it on your range tank on the 2 Jourmungars phase of Northrend Beasts. If the Range tank healer gets poisoned and paralyzed... lightwell can keep him up long enough for another healer to rotate over.

Unfortunately, it only works for the 1st pull.
    Not one, but two Jormungars!

Did it yesterday and didn't come in mind to use it...well pretty much what you said it's quite useless.

Back in topic, I really don't understand how can you use it on a Tank? It's gonna break after like 10 seconds? Lightwell is here to heal the Raid, even Blue posts pointed out the problem of the DPS to click it while damaging a mob.

Quote Originally Posted by Izenhart
    Not one, but two Jormungars!

Did it yesterday and didn't come in mind to use it...well pretty much what you said it's quite useless.

Back in topic, I really don't understand how can you use it on a Tank? It's gonna break after like 10 seconds? Lightwell is here to heal the Raid, even Blue posts pointed out the problem of the DPS to click it while damaging a mob.
    A problem that they don't think is a problem. They compare it to popping a potion or a healthstone, when neither of those detarget the boss. *shrug*

I used it alot in TBC, I still drop it almost every fight I can, doesn't mean it gets used very much.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

I would rather put points into Body & Soul than in Lightwell(For PvE).

The Problem is, you need every Point so there is no Talent Point left for that spell which is usefull in maybe 1 of 10 Fights...

I agree that B&S can actually have better utility than LW in its current form. My trick is to throw down a LW in situations where its beneficial... tell people to click the LW or die... and then not cast it the next time we do the encounter. After that, people say "where is the LW?" Then I know I've got em hooked. Course, that's easier to do when your the GL =).

Quote Originally Posted by [-Spiritus-
    ]
    I agree that B&S can actually have better utility than LW in its current form. My trick is to throw down a LW in situations where its beneficial... tell people to click the LW or die... and then not cast it the next time we do the encounter. After that, people say "where is the LW?" Then I know I've got em hooked. Course, that's easier to do when your the GL =).
    Lol, that's a good one!
    <;~~~~{] -____- )|:-~=(}