Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...

Re: [Priest] Guide: Starting to play Disc in Arena

There is still a res "cap". You should never get near it. It is true that having more than 1200 res in kind of pointless. At the time that you have 1200 res, as a priest what needs to be in your mind is more along the lines of "how can my partner(s) survive." If you have 1200 res but your partner gets killed every time (especially since DPS do not often get a lot of res) then it does not matter. Once you are over 1k or maybe even 1.1k then it is time to look at your other stats. You are a healer, you need to function as one or you are not doing your part on the team.

Increasing your stats that help you heal also increases your survival so it is not like you are giving up survival for better healing. Better healing is better survival. Some priests I have seen have the problem of thinking along the lines of "I die too much, I must not have enough HP/Res” This is not always the case. It could be that your spell power is not high enough to counter Inc damage. If a dps get more atk power to do more damage than after you reach a good HP/Res you need to increase your spell power to Inc healing to counter their Inc in damage. Haste gives you faster heals, crit gives you some more random burst healing, and spell power gives you a flat Inc.

In my opinion you should have all at a balance. What that balance is can be argued because there is no correct answer. Some players do not need the haste. At all. They get 2600+ without it. This is not just due to them, but their partners and their team play style. Some teams do amazing with haste and use it to its full potential. They are also at 2600+ and have play styles that make the most of the haste.

This debate about best stats after you obtain the base of the mains stats is not something I want to get into on this thread as it is an endgame topic and this is a starting out thread. There are tons of discussions on AJ though.
    When people say "pls" just because its shorter then "please", I feel totally justified to say "No" just because its shorter then "Yes".

Nice thread for beginners to start arena sucks it's WAY TOO MANY disc priests on Frostmane - EU (Maybe why I rerolled to a warrior)

kay, i know this is lazy and shit, but i read up on a lot, but still unsure which stats are superior in my current gear

I'm currently playing:
    2v2 Priest - Mage
    3v3 - RMP

So based on my current gear, what should i gem for? i have JC so should i make 34 haste gems with all my JC gems?

And what items should i aim for?

How should i reach the Hit and SpellPen cap?

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...ill&cn=Nephite

I'm currently farming honor with friend and trying to get the rest of my relentless offsets

Thanks in advance

PS. The Satin items are from VoA, i got Furious Mooncloth Leggings, but i'll wait for a second for the 2pc bonus

Well you can hit the "hit cap" through offset pieces such as rings, See the first part of the main post for what items.

The "spell pen cap" if there is one which there is not but I assume your talking about the "soft cap" you can hit it though the back enchants, off-hands, wands, blue sockets. There are Fight where you do not need to have any spell pen, if you get a large amount through your wand and offhand then you can switch those out (because you can switch weapons in arena) to items with stats that are not spell pen.

If you find you live well enough in RMP as you should vs many teams at the lower brackets due to your awsome RMP CC, You can go for Spellpower, Stam, Res, and/or Haste. If you Find yourself in need of more mana you can also do Mp5. It depends on the demand you team has of you at the current point in time.

If you would like examples of ways the top players gem right now then go to Arena Junkies. Go to rankings. Go from teams to players. Chose the priest class. Click all the top rated people.
    When people say "pls" just because its shorter then "please", I feel totally justified to say "No" just because its shorter then "Yes".

*new priest*

I just wonder 1 thing..

why spirit?? wouldnt haste or crit give u more gain then the spirit gear?

(I have truly no idea just want to know how that is.)
    since as I see it disc tree doesnt get much from spirit exept mana regain. and I'm far from going oom atm.

Discipline loses more than half of its mana reliability from Intellect the second you step into an Arena, brek.

Shadowfiend can be kited/killed, Hymn of Hope is just begging to get kicked/counterspelled, or even attacked for pushback, and worst of all: You don't get Replenishment.

Having a one way mana bar sucks, being able to make it last longer (through Meditation) is what makes the Spirit Gear worth more than the crit gear or haste gear in PvP. The Haste is the offpeices you get, as you can't rely on crit either.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Just wanted to say ty... On my priest I have always been into pve and always pvped on other toons...however i decided to start arenas , and while i know my class very well...this thread definetly filled in a bunch of rusty spots. ;D So goodjob and listen to the man!

Great guide for a beginner disc priest.

Another neat little trick if you don't have access to PvE gear is to grab the 120 hit/haste trinket from badges of triumph to single slot cap your hit. This allows you to use mp5 neck/cloak. Also, the on-use haste is really nice for burst damage offensively or defensively. Combine it with power infusion and it's crazy less than a second flash heals too.

should I start out by buying crit, or haste gear as disc priest pvp?
    http://files.me.com/sureshk/j0r7w6

Best set to start out with is the spirit set if you're talking about off-peices, since there's no haste main set. But depending on comp and bracket, it's nice to have both. In 2s you want the spirit gear for sure, maybe a little haste thrown in there and in 3s if you're not playing double healer I would go haste. Crit is nice, but it's just not worth using the crit off peices since it only raises it by couple % points. That and I just don't like the RNG factor that comes from crit. Crit main peices are pointless since you go oom way too fast.

Hope this helps.

Is it still best to go with hit ring, back and neck? Or is it better to go with haste on back and neck?
    How many pieces with spirit do I need?
    I'm planning on doing some 3v3, maybe some 2v2, with my buddys when I get some better gear. They're hunter and warrior.

If you can get the 4-5% hit from other pieces then you can get the haste offset instead.

Many priests at the higher brackets have PvE pieces because they have enough res that they can do so. The neck, ring and back get you the min hit required to function but if you are getting it elsewhere at that point you can decide how you want to change the stats on your off piece.

In my Opinion haste is > than crit. Crit is Random help. Haste is definite. So if you are trying to decide between the 2 then Haste is better.

The min requirement for the spirit set is 4 pieces. You need the 4 set piece bonuses. There is no way around that.

If you do not have access to the better gear then spirit offset might be better so you do not struggle with manna. I started out with all spirit stuff and eventually subbed out different pieces to maximize my stats.

If you’re not at the point where you have every piece of gear I would keep it simple and just follow the guide untill you have the luxury and the extra honor/arena points to worry about maximizing stats.

Or I could keep farming honor/arena points and buy the best gear from the start.
    How much mp5 would you say is required?

There isn't a flat number to assign to "required". It varies greatly, depending on your skill level, your partner's gear, skill level, who you're going up against, the general strategies involved, target switching, etc etc.

If you're running OoM, you need more. If you're not, be cautious about some other group-comps you're going up against [size=1](Especially every time you bump up a bracket). If you're still fine, you can drop some. If you're not, then well, you're screwed until you get more.

But that's about all you can do, there isn't a magic number like there is for "hit" that makes things work.

If you have the best gear then I would say no Mp5 is required. I personally do not need it on my setups. My 3's team does not find itself in a situation that we lose because I have no mana. But your team might not be my team. You might need it. I have no Mp5 in my 2400 bracket. Maybe when I get to the 2500+ I might need it, but right now I don't.

The only person you should ask "Do I need Mp5?" is yourself. Are you running out of mana? Then Yea I would say you do. Are you ok on mana? Then maybe you should get something else you’re lacking. Or Maybe it is your play style that needs to be changed rather then your gear. It could be many things. There is no, "Ok I'm playing RMP and this is the best gear for each slot" answer.

Dropping the Sticky tag, but adding a permanent link in the reference post on the front page.

It didn't help. My biggest problem was healing rotation, and skills I needed to utilize more then others.

Got any advice?

Hello all,

I finally geared my toon up for PvP and hope to start Arena soon.

I hope to receive some feedback on gear choices, enchants, gems, talents and anything else you can think of!

http://armory.wow-europe.com/charact...y&gn=Avoidance

The only think I can add: I am scanning the AH daily for the Nightmare Ender wand, that will be bought soon I hope

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Fortunado
    When I first read the title, I almost pooped myself. Then I clicked the link and laughed that poop out!
    /lol

Quote Originally Posted by rockadin
    Hello all,

I finally geared my toon up for PvP and hope to start Arena soon.

I hope to receive some feedback on gear choices, enchants, gems, talents and anything else you can think of!

</snip>
    Bump

Quote Originally Posted by Fortunado
    When I first read the title, I almost pooped myself. Then I clicked the link and laughed that poop out!
    /lol

Your missing the 4 set piece bonous. In arena that is a Must. Other then that you are off to a good start. You need more Resilience.