Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Disc] Question : 25 man healer?

Hello, my guild has recently taken an application from a disc priest and to be honest no one is sure what to make of it. Not afriad to say i'm not sure if they are viable for 25 mans or does holy completely out do it?

I know they are very strong in 10 mans, none of our officers are sure about this, our guild is currently on yoggy 19% in 25 man going into 3.2

Our priest officer is not online atm so i'm hoping to get some honest help here please.

Here is the spec of our applicant.

http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...00000000000000

Re: [Disc] Question : 25 man healer?

His spec is not optimal since he took a few pvp talents and a talent to reduce casting time of greater heal? (or to do more burst dmg in arena) If he uses greater heal as a disc priest you should ditch him:P. If you see loads of weaken souls around when the raid is getting dmg (like kologarn xt hodir) then he is good and you should keep him.

Edit: he is not specced for tank healing caus if he was, the tank would get another 7% less physical dmg and his dispels are a bit more costly, these are the tradeoff from the few pvp talents he has.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account

Spec isn't optimal but workable
    Depends on his playstyle I guess.

Disc can be great in 25 man's, depends on group set up of course.
    Why not just take him with ya on a run and see how it goes ?

Talent specs/ gear doesn't say a person is good/bad since everyone can copy a cookie cutter spec or get some epics.

Try him/her out and make ur conclusion on his/her performance.

(give the priest a heads up so he can read up on tactics if he/she doesn't know any, although if he doesn't know tacts it can make the choice easier :P)

Quote Originally Posted by erwin121
    His spec is not optimal since he took a few pvp talents and a talent to reduce casting time of greater heal? (or to do more burst dmg in arena) If he uses greater heal as a disc priest you should ditch him:P. If you see loads of weaken souls around when the raid is getting dmg (like kologarn xt hodir) then he is good and you should keep him.

Edit: he is not specced for tank healing caus if he was, the tank would get another 7% less physical dmg and his dispels are a bit more costly, these are the tradeoff from the few pvp talents he has.
    Que? What the hell are you smoking... Its a cookie cutter build, could do with a few tweaks here and there but none the less its a going PVE Raiding Spec for Disc.

Ignore the comments above.

His off spec is actually standard holy tree for raid healing yet he wants in as disc..

Yeah twinkeltoe that's pretty much what we do with all trials, but this one thruw us off a bit, but you're saying it can be great in 25's, that's what we needed to hear

To hear from an actuall disc priest that heals 25's would be great too

cheers

edit: gotcha Tefty

Tell him to fix his Holy Tree and he should be good.

Renew is a waste of talent points for Discipline. You cast it to boost your HPS, but not because you expect it to be worth much overall. Same with glyphing it. (Holy it's completely the opposite, but hey!)

Divine Fury has a nice niche in Discipline for a zomg Borrowed Time haste buff Greater Heal. However, with the addition of some haste, you can drop DF for Spell Warding. It makes the priest "less squishy" when it comes to incoming raid damage.

I'd say drop the three from Imp Renew and all four from Divine Fury, and max out Inspiration (really should be a must-have). Then you're left with 5 talent points to either a) Toss 2 into Healing Focus and 3 into Spell Warding, or b) All 5 into Spell Warding. This talent really is what makes the Priest less squishy when it comes to raid-wide damage, and people under-rate it as such.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Disc is an excellent compliment to a holy pally as a MT healer. I would have him respec to this:

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?priest=0503203130300512331313231251205500030000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 &glyph=000000000000&version=10192

Don't look at recount to ascertain his effectiveness. Recount lies for Disco priests.

Rather... if you have 0% worries on the tank... you know he is doing his job. Furthermore, check to see how often he is casting PW:S... either through RGA or WoL. If he is shielding the raid when the tank is topped... you have a keeper.

Disco is the FotM for priests. Its hard to come by a Disco priest who really gets it, since its such a new spec.

The buffs a Disco priest brings to the raids are huge... if he is able to manage his spec properly.

EDIT: hmm i missed the 3% crit on focussed will :P so it is a good talents for pve

Ok thanks Kelesti, i'll mention those points you've listed in my reply.

edit, thanks Spiritus, agree about recount not showing full potential, knew that comming here, makes it harder to judge though

great comments so far guys thanks!

also his glpyhs are PW:S,FH,Penance

If you are still only trying to kill Yogg in normal then you I suppose you shouldn't look for specific class and need to look for better players.
    About his spec, everything is not bad, except that he should remove imp. greater heal and take full -phys.dmg buff from crit heals at least.

Quote Originally Posted by erwin121
    Well inspiration, healing focus and absolution are pretty good pve talents which he doesnt have, and if he drops the 2 100% pvp talents ( divine fury and focussed will) he will have all 3 of them full.

And dont say -15% mana on dispells cure disease, 7% less physical dmg on the tank and healing without pushbacks is useless...
    Inspiration, yes is a must. Healing Focus you can live without it, it's nice to have though; definitely not game breaking.

Absolution is terrible. Your cleanses already have 10% mana cost reduction from Mental Agility.

Did you not see that Focused Will is a solid 3% crit, at all times? It's not a PvP talent anymore.

Edit: And Casa, those are the glyphs he should be running.

I don't agree with Spiritus's spec for pve disc priest, disc priest has to maximize crit in every possible aspect and ignore silly magic damage reduction talents.
    If he needs to spec anything, it's this spec (change is in one talent).

As for his performance, you'll easily see that from whether the tank is dying and if he's helping out other raid healers mitigate the damage (shielding people when he has nothing to do etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by syanid
    I don't agree with Spiritus's spec for pve disc priest, disc priest has to maximize crit in every possible aspect and ignore silly magic damage reduction talents.
    If he needs to spec anything, it's this spec (change is in one talent).

As for his performance, you'll easily see that from whether the tank is dying and if he's helping out other raid healers mitigate the damage (shielding people when he has nothing to do etc.).
    I was going to shift one point in spiritus' 56/14 spec as well, moving from Focused Will (1% crit) into Renewed Hope (2% on your most frequently casted spells). I just see bigger gains there, but hey that's just me.

I swapped to disc during Sarth 3D to have another CD to keep the tank alive as well as the shield to give a larger health pool to the MT. I absolutely love disc now and will not be going back holy anytime in the near future (I'm Disc*PvE/DiscPvP specced).

The extra buffs as well as another way to mitigate dmg other than pure healing is a definite advantage in any raid group

Feel free to look at my spec/armory to help gear/advise him to great raiding

*Edit*...im rethinking my spec, wow i havnt touched it in so long...but its 530 and i need to get up in 5 hours...shit
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Ok people thanks for all the input, now I need to talk to him about his spec and if he's willing to change it about then it looks good for him, so iv'e got what I came for, will be fun seeing what he can do

15+ Year Old Account

1/3 inspiration as disc is baaad.

Disc is an excellent tank healer and the best lifesaver in the game, put a disc on the raid and let him:
    1) preshield the raid to soften the aoe burst
    2) save people who get low with a pws+1sec flash combo
    Disc is brutally good in 10 man and also very good in 25 man. We very frequently lost people to instagib combos on Freya+3 when I was holy, these gibs almost completely stopped happening when I respecced disc and kept the raid preshielded. The encounter was trivialized and I kept my disc spec I think that's quite convincing.
    The only thing where disc is quite bad is topping up the raid. But holy priests, resto shammies and trees are there to do just that.

This is what I used when I still played, worked excellent as MT and semi raid healer with shields and fast flash heals.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?prie...&version=10192

I chose renew instead of 10% Spellreduction since when healing a MT, renew still helps, maybe not much but it's better then nothing. Also having Desperate prayer saved me countless of times on trash and a few bosses when I got low on HP, for example Hodir, Mimiron.

No need to have shorter cast time on greater heal as we rarely use it at all, shields and flashheal just serve us better, and having pushback from damage is a lifesaver on AoE bosses.

Just my 2 cents.

Anyways I loved this specc and maybe your new disc priest would aswell.

Aw crap guys.. i misclicked on my spec... this is what i recommend:

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?prie...&version=10192

Totally screwed the pooch on my previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by Tefty
    Que? What the hell are you smoking... Its a cookie cutter build, could do with a few tweaks here and there but none the less its a going PVE Raiding Spec for Disc.

Ignore the comments above.
    It's not definitly cookie cutter build.

Disc part is ok, but holy is not.

Healing Focus 2/2, Inspiration 3/3 and Spell Warding 5/5 instead of Improved Renew, Desperate Praying and Divine Fury and will be fine.

You got druids for hots, not a disc priest.
    You don't want the pushbacks on Freya HM/ Thorim HM/ Hodir HM etc, and spell dmg reduced by 10% is what makes you stay alive.

@OP

Give him a try, don't be fooled by looking at recount healing done.
    Log a raid, throw it at worldoflogs and see how his shields and DA makes the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by malkolm
    It's not definitly cookie cutter build.

Disc part is ok, but holy is not.

Healing Focus 2/2, Inspiration 3/3 and Spell Warding 5/5 instead of Improved Renew, Desperate Praying and Divine Fury and will be fine.

You got druids for hots, not a disc priest.
    You don't want the pushbacks on Freya HM/ Thorim HM/ Hodir HM etc, and spell dmg reduced by 10% is what makes you stay alive.

@OP

Give him a try, don't be fooled by looking at recount healing done.
    Log a raid, throw it at worldoflogs and see how his shields and DA makes the difference.
    The holy part of cookie cutter can be changed around dependant on play.

Some prefer the spell dmg reduction, others prefer the healing throughput, personally i take the healing focus, renew and desperate prayer aproach.

Renew gives that little extra barrier on the MT or even the occasional raid member.

To counter the fact i dont take the spell dmg reduction i usually top myself with a quick binding heal or renew.