Shield Slam BV cap

I play a PvP prot warrior, and I was expecting my shield slams to be nerfed after the patch hit. Maybe I understood it wrong, but I thought any BV past 2760 would not add to SS damage at all. However, my BV while shield block and trinket procs are up is well over 3k, and I get the same damage as I did before the patch. How exactly does this change work if it isn't lowering SS damage at over 2760 BV? I've tried lowering my BV, and it seems to scale the exact same as before. Any ideas?

Re: Shield Slam BV cap

From what I understand, Shield Slam stops getting a benefit from BV at 2760.

So say for example you had 2800 BV, and your shield slams hit for 6k,
    with 5000 BV your shield slams would still only hit for 6k. However having more BV in PvP is still nice because it ups your Damage Shield talent (which isn't capped) and still reduces incoming melee damage by a LOT.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

See, that's what I thought as well. But i've been testing it, and with Shield Block up and all procs up, my 4283 BV SS crits for 10,600 on a dummy, same as it did in 3.1. I've tested it with less BV gear on, and it scales the same all throughout the 3000s as well, doing gradually less and less damage as I get less and less BV. It seems it's working slightly differently than I thought?

There's a cap on BLOCK VALUE, not what you block for. You can still raise it through block value gained from strength.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Murder can be justified and to a certain extent I believe genocide can be justified aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindark
    There's a cap on BLOCK VALUE, not what you block for. You can still raise it through block value gained from strength.
    Are you talking about BV gained through gear only? I don't care about how much I block for, only how my BV affects SS.

um ya guys its just diminishing returns not a full cap

Quote Originally Posted by Tootsweet
    um ya guys its just diminishing returns not a full cap
    "and caps the maximum damage benefit from shield block value at 34.5 times the player's level."

That's a full cap. DR begins at 2400 BV, full cap at 2760.

it only caps the bv from items not the str component you'll still get the extra damage from str

@Tootsweet, you don't know what you're talking about.

1 Block Value from gear gives 1 BV
    1 Strength gives 0.5 BV

It all gets added in the same, and it all gets doubled with Shield Block, and it has a cap where it will stop benefitting Shield Slam at a certain point because Blizz doesn't want us Shield Slamming for 20k in arenas.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

Loooong bump. So the consensus seems to be that the hard cap from BV for your SS damage is right around 3100 without SB up. From what I've heard, SB doubles the cap, so 6200 bv would be the SB'd cap?

Deleted

Shield block doubles the 'cap' for the duration, remeber that.

Or, maybe not doubles, I dunno.

As far as I understand the DR on BV (mind you, not tested it on anything), at 2.4k BV, DR will kick in meaning you will gain less than 100% from the BV you'd gain normally. Thus when you are at 2600 in char sheet, you'll be under that figure after DR. So, seeing 2760 BV on the char sheet is not the *CAP* I believe. The cap is the number you have 2760 BV for real and that would mean a higher BV in char sheet, that is if I'm understanding the DR on BV changes correctly. I'd gladly like to hear the truth if I'm mistaken as I'm interested in this as well.