Page 1 of 2
LastLast

confused about shadowpriest.com spec

Hey guys I was on shadowpriest.com like 2 secs about reading about the pve spec that spriests should be using to max dps and i was surprised to see that people are not speccing into darkness (10% increase to shadow dmg). I've been away from wow for a few months now and haven't read any patch notes or anything so I'm not sure if spriests recieved some kind of buff that doesn't require us to use that talent anymore or what. Just hoping someone can shed some light on this for me because atm im specced http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?prie...&version=10192

Re: confused about shadowpriest.com spec

cool, thanks for the input draco. ill give that a shot and see how it does.

Actually, I'd take the points from Imp VE instead of Imp SF. There's enough AoE damage in fights to warrant having the pushback resistance.

Drop Improved Spirit Tap. When it procs, you gain a total of what, 14 Spellpower? Wow, grats. If it's for mana, get 2/2 Veiled Shadows for both increased DPS and increased mana (3 minute cooldown is HUGE), and learn when it's okay to use Dispersion.

Keep Improved VE, it's an underrated utility that should be loved by your hopefully competent raid leader (assuming he knows which group to put you in), and it's what keeps you up during some of that hard blasting incoming AoE. Raid Damage is everywhere, it's not only going to drop your health bar, but also your cast bar and to keep that DPS moving, you want pushback resistance. Don't even THINK about dropping Improved Shadow Form.

Dropping Spirit Tap altogether slows your solo progress by about 5% (big deal... : ) and lets you pick up Shadow Affinity to Mind Sear the hell out of some of those pulls faster, without having to worry about ever pulling aggro.

Edit: This is the progression raiding Cookie Cutter Shadow Spec for max dps.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Drop Improved Spirit Tap. When it procs, you gain a total of what, 14 Spellpower? Wow, grats. If it's for mana, get 2/2 Veiled Shadows for both increased DPS and increased mana (3 minute cooldown is HUGE), and learn when it's okay to use Dispersion.

Keep Improved VE, it's an underrated utility that should be loved by your hopefully competent raid leader (assuming he knows which group to put you in), and it's what keeps you up during some of that hard blasting incoming AoE. Raid Damage is everywhere, it's not only going to drop your health bar, but also your cast bar and to keep that DPS moving, you want pushback resistance. Don't even THINK about dropping Improved Shadow Form.

Dropping Spirit Tap altogether slows your solo progress by about 5% (big deal... : ) and lets you pick up Shadow Affinity to Mind Sear the hell out of some of those pulls faster, without having to worry about ever pulling aggro.

Edit: This is the progression raiding Cookie Cutter Shadow Spec for max dps.
    Thank you, that is my main's spec and has been for long while.
    I have been doubting myself lately because I have seen so many spriests with spirit tap.

I fail to see how http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#bVcbh...RfzffqfzAo:qah is the highest dps spec

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#bVcbhZZGxfVRfzcfqfzAo is the highest.

Why?

Wether anyone here likes it or not that shitty 14spellpower proc from IST is better than Imp VE for damage, and Imp VE well like it or not isnt going to make or break your raid.

Other 'optional' points - Inner Fire: if used on DP every CD its what 5.04mp5? - Shadow Aff: 25% less threat, good if you have terrible tanks, i dont see how a spriest can pull agro rather than a rogue/warrior etc.
    Priest - http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Barthilas&n=Weenalol
    Druid - http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Barthilas&n=Weenah
    DK - http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Jubei%27Thos&n=Weenalol

Quote Originally Posted by Weena
    Wether anyone here likes it or not that shitty 14spellpower proc from IST is better than Imp VE for damage, and Imp VE well like it or not isnt going to make or break your raid.
    Not dying is pretty beneficial to DPS, last I checked.

Other 'optional' points - Inner Focus:
    fixed
    if used on DP every CD its what 5.04mp5?
    I don't have Inner Focus in that build. And if you were using it on DP, wow that's aload of fail. It's not working on DoT crits. Mind Blast or bust, if it's even in your build. It's not necessary though.
    Shadow Aff: 25% less threat, good if you have terrible tanks, i dont see how a spriest can pull agro rather than a rogue/warrior etc.
    Then you're not Mind Searing hard enough.

FYI, its 62 spellpower proc for me, not 14
    So 20% of your spirit is Spellpower. Alright, that's cool. Counting Blessing of Kings, Mark of the Wild, Divine Spirit, and Improved Spirit Tap, you somehow have 3100 spirit?

Because adding 10% to 2818.18 is 3100, and 20% of that difference is your 62 spellpower. Nice try, get back in the bus. It's very short, and it's waiting for you.

Not dying is pretty beneficial to DPS, last I checked.
    Last time i checked healers were there to heal you, i cant think that you would honestly say that Imp VE will spare you from dieing in a raid, if so please show me a WWS/WMO report of a spriest that took X amount of damage and without having IMP VE, not just VE would of died.

I don't have Inner Focus in that build. And if you were using it on DP, wow that's aload of fail. It's not working on DoT crits. Mind Blast or bust, if it's even in your build. It's not necessary though.
    I agree, it would be better used on MB, i said if used on DP since its the highest mana cost spell that is used in a normal rotation, sure i could of said MB but thats even less, my point was the point in Inner Focus is not worth it

Then you're not Mind Searing hard enough.
    Yes i am, although how does one MIND SEAR HARDER if they are using it perfectly as is? I would really like your imput here to help me improve my AOE dps since you have mastered it so well.

15+ Year Old Account

what?

raid buffed IST gives me almost 80 spirit, and then glyph of shadow will net almost 80 spellpower from my spirit

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#bVcbhZZGxfVRfzcfqfzAo is my build and it works fine. i fail to see how more healing from VE (5% for party, 25% for self) or reduced aggro (which you dont need unless you have crap-ass tanks) is better than increases your total spirit by 10%, which in turn increases spell power by 10% of your spirit (10-20 spellpower for the average priest).

if 2% increase in party healing and 25% increase in self healing from VE + 25% reduced threat or whatever it is (plus base mana if a boss happens to dispel your VT or SWP) is better than ~15 spellpower and a teence of regen then i give up trying to dps. there is no way party healing and a bit of threat drop will ever out-dps ~15 spellpower in a bossfight.

P.S. aoe trash i dont care about, its all a joke anyways. if you die at that, your tanks still suck. that i can recall i've never once died to trash when aoe'ing. as for inner focus, lol what a waste. if you run out of mana on boss fights u are doing something super-fail and need to learn 2 play spriest

edit: for the person who posted below me, pvp talents dont matter. retardin who cares. also for vezax unless ur doing hardmode there is plenty of extra mana to go around for all the people who get a tick or maybe two of faceless
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

I was skeptical about dropping Improved Spirit Tap to use the build Kelesti posted. But once I tried it I never went back.

Reasoning:

1) Ulduar gear hasn't got that much spirit. I got 573 spirit unbuffed, which means 573 + 1.1 = 630 and that results in 63 extra spellpower, up from 57. So 5 points for 6 spellpower, if we add glyph of shadow and various buffs it's around 15 spellpower max.

2) Shadow Affinity - you can always try to be smartass and say that someone plays with bad tanks. However, at Hodir and Vezax you'll do way more dps than you do usually and if you're not a complete idiot - you'll use Vampiric Embrace to heal yourself.
    If your average DPS is 7k on Hodir (which isn't really special), your HPS will be 7000 * 0.25 = 1750. 1750 healing per second done to yourself by doing nothing except DPS. Also, there is literally no way you can pull aggro, even if you hit 15k dps there, you won't need to use Fade and "waste" global cooldown for dropping aggro. It's a great talent, both pve and pvp since I tend to do some pvp and seeing those 6 - 7K hits with VT when retardins dispel them is just great.

3) Improved Vampiric Embrace - for majority of encounters, there's tons of raid damage. First that comes to mind is XT (hardmode). We all know how screwed up Tantrum is and Shadow Priest is one of those who literally won't need any healing unless you're unlucky to get lightbomb / gravity bomb.
    You'll be extremely tough to kill and you'll heal yourself for a nice amount of HP. On vezax, when someone gets Mark of the Faceless - you'll eventually get damaged and healers won't have to waste mana healing you, you'll do it yourself quite fast.

Bashing someone saying that their tanks suck, that it's perfectly ok to spend 5 points to get 15 spellpower while forsaking self-preservation is plainly stupid and elitism helps no one.

If you want your dps to be 5510 rather than 5500 then you waste 5 points into Imp. Spirit tap. If you like to live and not be one of those who whines on healers thinking he's so mighty and powerful (and dead) - you take Imp. VE and Shadow Affinity.

Thanks again, syanid.

Quote Originally Posted by syanid
    I was skeptical about dropping Improved Spirit Tap to use the build Kelesti posted. But once I tried it I never went back.

Reasoning:

1) Ulduar gear hasn't got that much spirit. I got 573 spirit unbuffed, which means 573 + 1.1 = 630 and that results in 63 extra spellpower, up from 57. So 5 points for 6 spellpower, if we add glyph of shadow and various buffs it's around 15 spellpower max.

2) Shadow Affinity - you can always try to be smartass and say that someone plays with bad tanks. However, at Hodir and Vezax you'll do way more dps than you do usually and if you're not a complete idiot - you'll use Vampiric Embrace to heal yourself.
    If your average DPS is 7k on Hodir (which isn't really special), your HPS will be 7000 * 0.25 = 1750. 1750 healing per second done to yourself by doing nothing except DPS. Also, there is literally no way you can pull aggro, even if you hit 15k dps there, you won't need to use Fade and "waste" global cooldown for dropping aggro. It's a great talent, both pve and pvp since I tend to do some pvp and seeing those 6 - 7K hits with VT when retardins dispel them is just great.

3) Improved Vampiric Embrace - for majority of encounters, there's tons of raid damage. First that comes to mind is XT (hardmode). We all know how screwed up Tantrum is and Shadow Priest is one of those who literally won't need any healing unless you're unlucky to get lightbomb / gravity bomb.
    You'll be extremely tough to kill and you'll heal yourself for a nice amount of HP. On vezax, when someone gets Mark of the Faceless - you'll eventually get damaged and healers won't have to waste mana healing you, you'll do it yourself quite fast.

Bashing someone saying that their tanks suck, that it's perfectly ok to spend 5 points to get 15 spellpower while forsaking self-preservation is plainly stupid and elitism helps no one.

If you want your dps to be 5510 rather than 5500 then you waste 5 points into Imp. Spirit tap. If you like to live and not be one of those who whines on healers thinking he's so mighty and powerful (and dead) - you take Imp. VE and Shadow Affinity.
    I agree with everything you said, i am just saying those points are not needed and depending on your playstyle/group could be worthless. I honestly have never needed to keep VE up to save me/raid, sure i dont doubt that it could help healers on encounters such as XT, but when you have done this encounters on hardmode and your healers havent yet failed then you ask whats better, imp ve or more dps? As for threat, wether im peaking at like ~20k dps on hodir (which isnt often) or simply doing my normal 10-12k i have never had an issue with threat.

Imp VE and Shadow Aff could very well be worth it next 'raid' released, or should i say in one of the future bosses of the already released raid, but at the moment, with current encounters i stand by my choice of IST>Imp VE+Shadow aff

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    At 800 spirit you would gain 8sp... but dont just drop the points in IST, drop all 5 points out of any ST talent, it's completely not worth it. Those 5 points will get you reduced threat and imp VE which is far better.

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    At 800 spirit you would gain 8sp... but dont just drop the points in IST, drop all 5 points out of any ST talent, it's completely not worth it. Those 5 points will get you reduced threat and imp VE which is far better.
    I agree. But apparently according to everyone but syanid, you, Nezoia, and myself this is completely wrong.

Well you'd get more because of the glyph but it's really pointless and barely registers. I wasn't paying much attention, but in raids I'm reaching 3.2K spellpower (maybe a bit more) and I seriously doubt that 3208 spellpower would make it or break it and I am 100% sure that I love being able to nuke whatever I want without fading once and not worrying about getting heals or not.

At 14k dps I wasn't able to pull aggro off of the tank, there's no way in hell I can overaggro mediocre tanks I play with in pugs either. I was also FOR spirit tap > imp. spirit tap before, but I tried this spec and it works far better for me. Mana regen from IST is just laughable, spellpower too. I mean, below 20 spellpower raid buffed for freakin' 5 points is just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by syanid
    Well you'd get more because of the glyph but it's really pointless and barely registers. I wasn't paying much attention, but in raids I'm reaching 3.2K spellpower (maybe a bit more) and I seriously doubt that 3208 spellpower would make it or break it and I am 100% sure that I love being able to nuke whatever I want without fading once and not worrying about getting heals or not.

At 14k dps I wasn't able to pull aggro off of the tank, there's no way in hell I can overaggro mediocre tanks I play with in pugs either. I was also FOR spirit tap > imp. spirit tap before, but I tried this spec and it works far better for me. Mana regen from IST is just laughable, spellpower too. I mean, below 20 spellpower raid buffed for freakin' 5 points is just silly.

I am so glad to see I am not the only one not taking spirit tap even though I still see most using it.
    Every time my guild leader tells a new shadowpriest to just copy my spec, I have felt obligated to to tell them my spec isnt the most popular lol.
    I am always one of the last ones standing when we are learning new fights, and I am almost always first or second in damage done on fights we regularly win(hunter often first in our group). So at this point at least, I do perfectly fine without spirit tap.
    I have hit over 20k dps with aoe and our sometimes impatient main tank (trash pulls)- and I still don't usually pull aggro. I assume the reason is I have full points in shadow affinity as well as a very good main tank lol.
    Anyway, after reading this thread I feel confident enough to no longer add a qualifier when someone suggests someone copy my spec- for this I sincerely thank you.

i

I recently respecced back into ST/IST spec after 3.2 release because of the replenishment changes and it's not unusual for us to run without a pala or shammy. even with the shadowaffinity spec i was pulling threat with mindsear on big pulls so hitting fade a second earlier wont kill me.

I thought that IST spec was better than dispersing on fights i didnt need to previously.

Quote Originally Posted by rimmer
    I recently respecced back into ST/IST spec after 3.2 release because of the replenishment changes and it's not unusual for us to run without a pala or shammy. even with the shadowaffinity spec i was pulling threat with mindsear on big pulls so hitting fade a second earlier wont kill me.

I thought that IST spec was better than dispersing on fights i didnt need to previously.
    Our main tank is a pally so I don't know if I would have mana issues without him.
    I almost never use dispersion for mana though, usually my pet is enough. On the rare occasions that I do use it, I don't remember having trouble finding the right time so it wouldn't cost a loss.

There are also fights I have been in where it seems improved ve allows less worry for healers being out of my range- what I mean is, I can park myself anywhere I want away from others etc without driving our healers crazy lol.

So far the 3.2 changes haven't seriously affected mana issues for me but it is new so we will see...

Lowered CD on Fade is also good. It's ever so handy on Freya+3.

On the topic of IST: I wouldn't live without it after the 3.2 changes to Replenishment. It's fucking pain to keep up mana in heroics!

just simply remove the 2 points in Improved Vampiric Touch (cuz you really dont need it, just having the regular version should sustain you on fights) and put it into Veiled Shadow, not for the dps of your fiend.. geez stupid, but for the fact that incase you run out of mana or get low you can use him every 2 min and instead of using dispersion and losing dps you can still maintain dps while getting mana back and you want to use dispersion only as a last resort for mana. Otherwise looks good to me.. get good gear and youll be good to go. Remember a Spriest dps is greatly depenant on the gear.