Dispersion Bugging in PvP?

Whilst doing a few BG's last night I noticed that I frequently took big damage through dispersion. I'm aware that there are some mechanics that allow for penetration through absorbtion effects but I believe this was different.

At one point, whilst quite clearly under the effects of dispersion, a paladin hit me with exorcism for ~2120 followed by a strike of ~2100. Sure enough when I checked combat log, I took somethine like 6k damage from the paladin during dispersion.

Am I missing something here or does this just sound bugged or wrong?

Cheers

Re: Dispersion Bugging in PvP?

Paladins are the ones that have the absorption penetration that you were talking about >.> http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=53376

Also, last time I checked Dispersion fails to account for projectile spells (IE Warlock casts Shadow Bolt at you, Shadow Bolt is flying through the air, you Dispersion, Shadow Bolt hits you for unmitigated damage)

Quote Originally Posted by Proletariat
    Paladins are the ones that have the absorption penetration that you were talking about >.> http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=53376

Also, last time I checked Dispersion fails to account for projectile spells (IE Warlock casts Shadow Bolt at you, Shadow Bolt is flying through the air, you Dispersion, Shadow Bolt hits you for unmitigated damage)
    Ah haa.

Thanks very much. I knew about chaos bolt, but wasnt sure what else there was out there. Thanks.

Still, dosent that mean his excorsism would have hit me for 4.2k otherwise..!?... :P

If my math and basic concept of the spells are right, then it would've been more like a 3.8k exorcism

If my math and basic concept of the spells are right, then it would've been more like a 3.8k exorcism
    Maybe coz Wings only bypasses 50% of damage reduction effects?
    Apparently reading is harder than math.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Barthilas&n=Strykie

Quote Originally Posted by Strykzor
    "50% of all damage caused bypasses damage reduction effects"

2100 = 50% * initial_damage + 10% * initial_damage (dispersion reduces only 90%)

2100 / 0.6 = 3500 hit

Quote Originally Posted by Pagefault

2100 = 50% * initial_damage + 10% * initial_damage (dispersion reduces only 90%)

2100 / 0.6 = 3500 hit
    Shouldn't the second initial_damage be half_damage since 50% of the damage is already accounted for by wings?

Basically 50% of damage unmitigated thanks to wings + other 50% damage mitigated by dispersion?

Leading to:

2100 = 50% initial_damage + 10% * initial_damage / 2
    2100 / 0.55 = 3818.18

So what Proletariat said.

Dispersion bugging?? Nah, it works great!
    -Ghostcrawler

gravity00

Well, on my rogue I still need to wait for dispersion to end before killing the priest.

That isn't a fail. It's called server lag. Sometimes I ran agains mobs, I use stealth and enter on it, but I agro the mob... about 15yrd away. It's lag, happens, next time cast dirpersion soon. It can happen with vanish or any other ability. You sould allready be used to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Strykzor
    Hey. It was in response to him saying the initial Exorcism was 4.2k. I simply corrected him using some basic math. That's all.

Don't worry, I've taken worse hits from lesser people for stupider reasons. But perhaps you wanna take a bit of your own advice next time; if reading comes easily, then I guess full comprehension would be your next step wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by gravity00
    Well, on my rogue I still need to wait for dispersion to end before killing the priest.
    That isn't a fail. It's called server lag. Sometimes I ran agains mobs, I use stealth and enter on it, but I agro the mob... about 15yrd away. It's lag, happens, next time cast dirpersion soon. It can happen with vanish or any other ability. You sould allready be used to that.
    It's not server lag. Perhaps "fail" was the wrong word to use. The damage of projectile spells, say Shadow Bolt again, is calculated when it's cast, not when it hits the target.

Simple example: Warlock casts Shadow Bolt, then puts up CoE on his target. His Shadow Bolt wouldn't benefit from the CoE effect as the damage for his Shadow Bolt has already been decided when if left his hands.

It's just game mechanics. Dispersion can't reduce the damage you take from a spell in mid-air simply because the amount that spell will hit you for has already been calculated, and while mathematically Dispersion comes after, you may visually see Dispersion before you see that same spell land.

Quote Originally Posted by Ineras
    Shouldn't the second initial_damage be half_damage since 50% of the damage is already accounted for by wings?

Basically 50% of damage unmitigated thanks to wings + other 50% damage mitigated by dispersion?

Leading to:

2100 = 50% initial_damage + 10% * initial_damage / 2
    2100 / 0.55 = 3818.18

So what Proletariat said.

That only depends of how blizz does the math internally.

What goes first? adding all the %'s to get one single number? apply first the absorption and later the penetration? or apply first the penetration and later the absorption? (the last two seems the same, but if we add shields to the mix they are different... but I don't know how if blizz puts damage reduction and absorptions in the same bag / formula)

That only depends of how blizz does the math internally.

What goes first? adding all the %'s to get one single number? apply first the absorption and later the penetration? or apply first the penetration and later the absorption? (the last two seems the same, but if we add shields to the mix they are different... but I don't know how if blizz puts damage reduction and absorptions in the same bag / formula)
    All I did was change a number in your formula, I didn't change how any of the math was done.

2100 / 0.6 = 3500 hit
    The bolded part is applying dispersion to the full amount of damage, which I assumed went against "50% of all damage caused bypasses damage reduction effects."

Do the combat log tell anything about the damage prevented? (the last time I checked it was in naxx boom-oozes and it did)

Can somebody check it so we can calculate the % absorved and work out in wich escenario we are? (I quitted playing so I cannot do it by myself)

It's just game mechanics. Dispersion can't reduce the damage you take from a spell in mid-air simply because the amount that spell will hit you for has already been calculated, and while mathematically Dispersion comes after, you may visually see Dispersion before you see that same spell land.
    I was curious about this after getting a big lava burst crit in dispersion.

Though that makes me curious about how rogues can vanish deathcoils from locks... or it could be a totally different mechanic. I should really put some effort into leveling my rogue one of these days.