Yes.. another advice thread!

Hi folks,

After 2 years of a melee dps, a caster dps and a tank I decided to roll a hunter.

Two days ago the great day happened and I dinged 80! So far I have been kinda lucky on the drops but would like some tips if I can improve some things.

Armory link
    http://armory.wow-europe.com/charact...ane&n=Rocktard

Notes to self
    * Getting the Ebon Blade head glyph
    * Grinding hodir rep to exalted for shoulder enchant
    * Upgrade enchants and gems when the item is actually worth it.
    * Buying http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45827 (Belt of Ardent Marksman) when I have enough badges.

I would like some advice on some things:
    * Is my itimization correct?
    * Upgrades that are easy available pre-naxx
    * Talents?
    * I'm always in group with a drainei. With her 1% hit I should be capped, right?
    * Yesterday I had around 2900 - 3k dps in heroic nexus. Is that anywhere near decent for my current gear or am I doing something wrong?
    * My pet keeps dying... how do you manage that?

Hopefully is someone willing to help me out here! Thanks and cookies in advance!

Re: Yes.. another advice thread!

Your Itemization seems right I think, nothing there to point fingers at and a great talent build. You might wanne take 1 point out of expose weakness and put into resourcefullness, but thats more of a opinion on my hand. With around 30% crit you should have the buff most of the time more or less I think, and for my hunter the shorter cooldown on Black Arrow seems more usefull - but again which is better is more of a matter of opinion.

All Though with a draenei your not totally hit capped. Hit cap for hunters are 9%, although Elite Jerks testing shows that around 8% you will only miss on very rare occasions. So with the draenei present your are about 7,5% hit, so I would gem for hit to just get over those 8%.

3K dps is great - no worries there.

The pet thing is quite hard to master I think (at leats for me it is). The thing is although your ranged you need 2 watch out for all the stuff melee's got to, 'cause ypur pet is witin melee range and you need to call it to you when the boss does something that will hurt melee......Let the pet be on defensive, when boss starts casting "OMFG Melee move the hell-out spell" put pet on passive so it will run to you and avoid the damage - put it back on defensive and it will run back to the boss...

Itemisation is pretty good, i would change your meta to the relentless one, lose the odd AP gem you have and replace with agi.

8% hit is what you need, its not just elitiest jerks thats say this from my own experience at 265 hit rating i dont miss.

I do have a little doubt that your doing 3k dps on single target boss fights in heroics but if you are getting 3k average (with Aoe) then your on the right path

Your spec seems ok i would maybe only put 1 point in Hunting party especially if your going to be running with a JoW spamming pally.

Keep 2 points in Expose weakness for now until you get a little more crit (33-35%) just to be sure the buff is up as much as possible.

Pets: if you know the boss fight and you know there is AoE incomming, call your pet back and resend after the AoE has finnished.

Quote Originally Posted by imwithstupid
    Itemisation is pretty good, i would change your meta to the relentless one, lose the odd AP gem you have and replace with agi.
    Hmm I have this meta 'cause I am lacking gems for the relentless one :-\ Is it worth regemming for?

8% hit is what you need, its not just elitiest jerks thats say this from my own experience at 265 hit rating i dont miss.
    hmm let's hope I get the belt fast then, with the 44 hit on it I will get 261 hit. I guess a hit/crit gem will put me slightly over cap. Is the 265 hit without any hit talents or with the one talent I currently have in hit?

I do have a little doubt that your doing 3k dps on single target boss fights in heroics but if you are getting 3k average (with Aoe) then your on the right path
    This was with a imp BoM, I guess I should have put that in.

Your spec seems ok i would maybe only put 1 point in Hunting party especially if your going to be running with a JoW spamming pally.
    Ye that is a smart one

Keep 2 points in Expose weakness for now until you get a little more crit (33-35%) just to be sure the buff is up as much as possible.

Pets: if you know the boss fight and you know there is AoE incomming, call your pet back and resend after the AoE has finnished.
    Thanks for the tips so far Thanks to you aswell Zhanaa

If anyone else sees more suggestion I would gladly hear it. I would love to pimp / max my hunter out!

Hit cap is 262.25 (meaning 8%!) so try to sit at 263+ with the best stats possible.

As far as pet goes, knowledge is the key. You have to know the fight - where to put your pet and when to keep him by your side.

Relentless Earthsiege and nothing else (for PVE ofc). You should be focusing on Agi as talents give you a lot of scaling from it. The crit you have from meta is just flat non-scaling number. Maybe you might look at different enchants (Agi > AP) but might be only small difference. Those resi enchants are whole new story though. Lose those.

You are hit capped the way you are specced if you always have a DR buff. You're at 217: 6.62% hit + 1% from focused aim + 1% from DR = 8.62%.

You should keep at least one blue, red and yellow gem for your meta requirment but you should change the AP + stam gems to Agi + stam. I suggest changing the gem in your wrists because you get the AP socket bonus and those bracers should last you a while so its worth regemming them. You should change the blue one in your helm to a straight Agi gem but since you will be replacing the helm at some point I wouldn't worry about it now.

I like your spec for the most part, I just have the same comment that you should get 3/3 Resourcefulness. I would suggest dropping that one point from hunting party or expose weakness like others have said.

You need to get some glyphs. Keep the explosive shot glyph, and the other two I use are serpent sting and kill shot. They are both pretty mediocre but the kill shot glyph really shines on a raid boss where you can use it more then once.

Finally, your pet spec. It looks like your wolf has a leveling build...greater stam?
    http://www.wowhead.com/?petcalc#0Md00sc00hooo
    I suggest that build. 3/3 avoidance will help you keep your pet alive more then any tactic that can be recommended.

If you only gem for 7 percent, and you know you'll be with a draenei in your group all the time it's a hell of a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    Rule #84 of WoW: Saying "Rotation" doesn't automatically make you a good player... or even a competent one.

What works for me is agility crit Meta, requires yellow/blue/red, so i have 7 20 agi gems, and a 10stats in my helmet.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ntarg&n=Stoute my armory if you want to check it out.

Your glyphs make me sad

Major
    Explosive Shot
    Kill Shot
    Serpent Sting / Steady Shot (your choice, the dps between these two is minimal, I choose SrS because refreshing it is a pain)

Minor (all hunter minors suck)
    Mend Pet
    Feign Death
    Revive pet

From what i see your pets spec could use some improvement.

You complained about your pet dying, heres what you should do. Get rid of Heart of the Phoenix, only put 1 point in bloodthirsty, and put 3 points in Avoidance. Then you can get rabid.

Also get rid of boars speed, and if you want, for max dps i recommend 2 points in cobra reflexes.

Think about bossfights, how fast does your pet need to be anyways.

Also, regarding your hunters spec, id take a point out of hunting party and move it to Resourcefulness for black arrow.

Sorry, one other thing. When gemming, generally the socket bonuses arent worth getting excluding some helmets. So you should get a prismatic 10+ stats and them have the rest of them be 16 or 20 agility.