Page 1 of 2
LastLast

armor penetration help

So i just got my t8.5 chest and the ironsoul mace. I am currently not using the t8.5 chest jsut got it today becuase i need to figure out this arp stuff first. So I am currently axe specced and i have a 33 percent crit chance and i have strength gems socketed. My problem is right now is do i start to gem arp. My current arp is 24 percent not counting battle stance or mace spec and not having any arp gems. I wanted to know if anyone could calculate what my arp would be with the 24.76 percent, plus battlestance, plus mace spec, and plus 7 16+ arp gems, and 2 8+ arp gems. Also tell me if i should not stack arp right now becuase i am losing crit chance i go down to 28 with my mace which is not good and i know i will be losing alot of power. Also with the t8.5 chest i am not going to be hit capped fizing that with a necklace you get from conquest badges.

I didnt put my armory up because right now i am changing stuff so the right stuff wont be seen.

Re: armor penetration help

If you have a Grim toll you ahve enough armor pen, and should gem for strength instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Derlan
    If you have a Grim toll you ahve enough armor pen, and should gem for strength instead.
    incorrect, you need at least 50% passive arp (then its 100% capped with grim toll proc) 24% is not enough...

back to the topic, i had this problem too i was mace specced and i had low crit until i got a polearm and went poleaxe spec and my crit went up substantially, but with 28% crit i was still pulling nice dps, armor pen is a highly valued stat as arms, imo swap those str gems out with arp gems get your armor pen up to 50% passive, grab a grim toll, and use ironsoul for a bit, but aim for an axe or a polearm and go poleaxe that will balance our your arp and crit problems

I've just started paying attention to ArP because i have about 31% on my character window (just picked up the t8.5 chest). Does the % it say there include the Battle Stance passive ArP or anything? Please help.

And no this is not a troll. Here's my Armory for further info.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...o&n=Infernalux

battle stance/sunders are not added in your ArP reduction, they dont stack with your ArP stats from your gear they reduce the bosses armor before your hits land so your ArP is going off the new armor
    A hero of war, yeah that's what I'll be. And when I come home, they'll be damn proud of me

Quote Originally Posted by Infernalux
    I've just started paying attention to ArP because i have about 31% on my character window (just picked up the t8.5 chest). Does the % it say there include the Battle Stance passive ArP or anything? Please help.

No, it only shows your arp % from gear + buffs (food, GT/MR proc).

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dude
    incorrect, you need at least 50% passive arp (then its 100% capped with grim toll proc) 24% is not enough...

back to the topic, i had this problem too i was mace specced and i had low crit until i got a polearm and went poleaxe spec and my crit went up substantially, but with 28% crit i was still pulling nice dps, armor pen is a highly valued stat as arms, imo swap those str gems out with arp gems get your armor pen up to 50% passive, grab a grim toll, and use ironsoul for a bit, but aim for an axe or a polearm and go poleaxe that will balance our your arp and crit problems

is that 50% with or w/o battle stance, and is 50% the exact % or a just a rough one?

Quote Originally Posted by Green38
    So I am currently axe specced and i have a 33 percent crit chance and i have strength gems socketed. My problem is right now is do i start to gem arp. My current arp is 24 percent not counting battle stance or mace spec and not having
    Don´t Gem amor penetration before 60%+ armp (only gear, breserker stance). It will scale very bad with the rest of the stats i think.
    If you want more do ToC normal mode droop a imba trinket. Axe specc 33% crit ?, theres your problem, way to low crit, I got that in battle stance Furry specc (no axe +5%crit ..).

If you nerf crit for armor penetration even more you will significant lose dps in my opinion. Re-gem to Armor penet after you get 60%+ armor pen. Then is ok to lower crit / Strength % cause the Value of armor penetration will scale better with AP/crit.

this my armory http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...Nerub&n=Hamary don´t have and never had and will not use the so famous trinket called 'penetration from naxx' lol works good for me..
    take carre

PS: there are no Armor penetration Cap the way we think, read some of the post´s in this forum it explain in detail, you can/should have more than 100% armp and add sunders + stratth throw on that.
    Reia : warrior <Gul’dans Forgotten Clan> [H] [Nethergarde Keep] [PVE] (tbc - classic)
    Hamary : warrior <Acta Non Verba> [A] [Silvermoon] [PVE] (retail)

Don't listen to most people on the forums. You want have about 45% ish Passive ArP. You should be hit capped and Expertise capped as well. Gem for armor pen after you reach about 450 rating. You should be polearm/axe spec. I currently have 45% Passive ArP with a 37% crit chance. You want to be high on crit as well being high on ArP. Grim toll or thr trinket off Thorim Hardmode stacks very well and will put you over 100% ArP. Therefore, Destroying in dps. You should always be eating ArP food and pots those king of stuff to maximize it to 50% also.

Quote Originally Posted by Jujuu
    Don't listen to most people on the forums. You want have about 45% ish Passive ArP. You should be hit capped and Expertise capped as well. Gem for armor pen after you reach about 450 rating. You should be polearm/axe spec. I currently have 45% Passive ArP with a 37% crit chance. You want to be high on crit as well being high on ArP. Grim toll or thr trinket off Thorim Hardmode stacks very well and will put you over 100% ArP. Therefore, Destroying in dps. You should always be eating ArP food and pots those king of stuff to maximize it to 50% also.
    pretty much summed up what i said

I have 539 Armor Penetration is my dps gear atm (cannot check it when making this post, server is under maintenance). I agree with what has been posted, especially on 45 - 50% ArP with a Grim Toll in ur trinket slot. Armor Penetration is powning as a good arms warrior. It's a reason I do 5k dps on Kologarn 25. And dps ain't my main spec even (some may mock this dps, as they may do higher).

Quote Originally Posted by Infernalux

sunder doesnt come into play with your arp at all, you still need 100% to ignore all of w/e you're hittings armor
    PlayStation suporter.
    fb_Scud / RPG-HAD

Quote Originally Posted by hamary
    I got that in battle stance Furry specc
    God help us all.

Don´t Gem amor penetration before 60%+ armp (only gear, breserker stance). It will scale very bad with the rest of the stats i think.
    If you want more do ToC normal mode droop a imba trinket. Axe specc 33% crit ?, theres your problem, way to low crit, I got that in battle stance Furry specc (no axe +5%crit ..).

If you nerf crit for armor penetration even more you will significant lose dps in my opinion. Re-gem to Armor penet after you get 60%+ armor pen. Then is ok to lower crit / Strength % cause the Value of armor penetration will scale better with AP/crit.

this my armory http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...Nerub&n=Hamary don´t have and never had and will not use the so famous trinket called 'penetration from naxx' lol works good for me..
    take carre

PS: there are no Armor penetration Cap the way we think, read some of the post´s in this forum it explain in detail, you can/should have more than 100% armp and add sunders + stratth throw on that.
    your not expertise capped as fury
    and you only have 31% crit in battle stance so that means you only have 33% crit
    and you had you had to socket for hit
    as i looked at your fury spec its really bad
    your just a bad fury warrior giving bad advice

get 0% ArP And grab both Grim Toll and Mjolnir Runestone. Makes you pro like me >.>

(i only have those two because i dont have another trinket lol. Not using PvP for PvE.)
    BY SARONITE BE PURGED!
    I have... 80 rogue. 2 80 DK's. 80 Shaman. 4 80's makes me pro amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by Smallviille
    your not expertise capped as fury
    and you only have 31% crit in battle stance so that means you only have 33% crit
    and you had you had to socket for hit
    as i looked at your fury spec its really bad
    your just a bad fury warrior giving bad advice
    right..

Frist I spooke about Arms PVE / PVP specc, My current OFF specc .. gess you do know how to read right ? I made you a nice drawing don´t worry..
    Not what you see in Armory and not with all the gear you saw it.. And if i´m not Hard Experetise Cap I´m Solf expertise cap and works ok for me.

Second to keep it short i will only tell you this:

I´m so Bad that Hurts my Soul when you say those things about me .... hahahahahah
    I know what I´m speaking about and the Big difrence between you and me is that you directly attack people, I post here to enjoy conversation.
    Reia : warrior <Gul’dans Forgotten Clan> [H] [Nethergarde Keep] [PVE] (tbc - classic)

A melee did top dps/damage on a non-hard mode TEN man XT kill...im shocked. And rend and overpower points are just confusing man. Im a hunter but you cant use rend or overpower when in berserk stance right?

I sit at i think 56% ArP with food/elixir (cant cofirm cause i cant log) I gem full ArP as a JCer and i have yet to of been blessed with a runestone drop yet. I have a grim toll but id be way over hit cap. However ive read that with a trinket proc my dps wouldnt go up too much cause im already near 60%. I know there is no ArP really but would i be better using wrathstone and DMG over the runestone since im pretty high already.

ArP is better for MM hunters is you can hit about 550-600 gemmed! Spread the word!

Quote Originally Posted by Carey31
    A melee did top dps/damage on a non-hard mode TEN man XT kill...im shocked. And rend and overpower points are just confusing man. Im a hunter but you cant use rend or overpower when in berserk stance right?
    HeHe no I can´t mate, can´t use Rend/thunder clap/overpower in breserker.
    The thing i notice is we only use WW in Breserker stance and in battle stance I can use, BT/Slam/Rend/overpower and have +10%arp..

What I do is simple, Look for WW cooldown and try to keep rend without Ruin my Normal Rotation

Here, take this macro´s is the ones I use,

/cast Battle stance
    /cast rend
    /cast Breserker stance
    /cast WW.
    3. (for multiple add´s)
    /cast Battle stance
    /cast thunder clap

4. This follow 3.
    cast cleave + back to number 2.

However it took me Mouths .. to get used and to know exectly when to do a rend or to do a thunder clap with no mistake on WW, You can see My top damage ability is WW.. I just don´t know why people keep calling me noob cause rend since my Main damage ability is WW ...

This is what i use atm more less, with many more macros for survival and difrent things ...

PS: I think This was a Hard mode Xt if i´m not wrong not sure mate but it sure was a looooog fight hehe.
    I´m not gona Spread the word or Hunters top me on metters ! hahaha =)

Deleted

HeHe no I can´t mate, can´t use Rend/thunder clap/overpower in breserker.
    The thing i notice is we only use WW in Breserker stance and in battle stance I can use, BT/Slam/Rend/overpower and have +10%arp..

What I do is simple, Look for WW cooldown and try to keep rend without Ruin my Normal Rotation

Here, take this macro´s is the ones I use,

/cast Battle stance
    /cast rend
    /cast Breserker stance
    /cast WW.
    3. (for multiple add´s)
    /cast Battle stance
    /cast thunder clap

4. This follow 3.
    cast cleave + back to number 2.

However it took me Mouths .. to get used and to know exectly when to do a rend or to do a thunder clap with no mistake on WW, You can see My top damage ability is WW.. I just don´t know why people keep calling me noob cause rend since my Main damage ability is WW ...

This is what i use atm more less, with many more macros for survival and difrent things ...

PS: I think This was a Hard mode Xt if i´m not wrong not sure mate but it sure was a looooog fight hehe.
    I´m not gona Spread the word or Hunters top me on metters ! hahaha =)
    First off, you haven't even done hardmode XT so doing 6.4k DPS when most of your damage was done to the heart (100% more damage taken) aswell as having WW doing a modest 20% of your damage isn't all that impressive.

Secondly, you're wrong. ARP gems for fury gets better at around 40%, at that point it simply outscales strength gems. Mind you that the DPS diffrence is not worth gemming for unless you're a minmaxer.

And now just random things that are wrong with your DPS 'rotation': It's never viable to cast rend as fury on a singel boss inside Ulduar. Making sure you have rage to maintain the rotation aswell as dumping rage into heroic strike > rend, even if improved. Again, proven by math, and while math can be wrong, there's no mechanic inside Ulduar that would make rending a viable tactic.

Just go read a common fury DPS guide, on how to gem how to gear and how to play, and you'll see that you will gain DPS and actually be able to give advices that are correct, rather than what your own mind has cooked up during a rather boring XT normalmode kill.

wow a 2 minute 30 parse doing 6000 dps with whirlwind being your highest damage component. That must've been a couple of nice botpacks you did there while zerging the heart!

"it sure was a long fight"

6000 dps, about 1 million total damage.

Do the maths. That's not more than 2 minutes 30.