Deleted

is AD only for the hit that brings you below 35%?

currently, ardent defender is one of the best CD's there is. but i find that the wording of the talent is a bit unclear myself:

Damage that takes you below 35% health is reduced by 30%.
    does this mean only the damage that takes you below 35% is reduced, and the next hit is not? or does it mean that all damage taken below 35% is reduced?

if you take a hit that reduces you to 34%, for instance, is the next hit also mitigated? or is it not reduced?

15+ Year Old Account

Re: is AD only for the hit that brings you below 35%?

Quote Originally Posted by nzall
    currently, ardent defender is one of the best CD's there is. but i find that the wording of the talent is a bit unclear myself:

does this mean only the damage that takes you below 35% is reduced, and the next hit is not? or does it mean that all damage taken below 35% is reduced?

if you take a hit that reduces you to 34%, for instance, is the next hit also mitigated? or is it not reduced?
    No, it's an addition to the old functionality. If you are at, say, 25% health , and you get hit, the damage is still going to be reduced.

I other words, it reduces by 30% ALL the damage you take below 35% life, AND whatever hit causes you to go under 35%. In the second case, the hit that takes you below, only the portion of hit that is under 35% will be reduced.

We can rephrase is further, the correct wording would be: "if after receiving an hit, your total health is a number between 0 and 35%, whatever the starting health may be, that hit is gonna be reduced by 30%". Still remember, onyl the portion under 35%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

To simplify, say you have 30k hp total (35% of that is 10.5k). If you are sitting at 14k HP, and take a hit for 5k, you take full damage until you reach the 35% level, so 3.5k goes unmitigated by AD. The remaining 1.5k is reduced by 30%, which works out to be 450 total reduction. Therefore, the total hit would be 4450, reducing you to 9550. Everything after that point is reduced by 30% until you get above 35%.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Simply put:

Anytime you are at or below 35% health, all damage taken is reduced by 30%.

And if you would have died you come back to health at 30%.

Quote Originally Posted by Evereghalo
    Simply put:

Anytime you are at or below 35% health, all damage taken is reduced by 30%.

And if you would have died you come back to health at up to 30% based on your defense.
    Wouldn't want people getting the wrong idea about this for PVP use now would we.

I believe once the GS type proc that returns you to 30% health is used up, you no longer get the damage reduction. I could be wrong on this though.

If you are at or under 35% health you get the damage reduction whether you've got the 2m save debuff or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightstrike
    I believe once the GS type proc that returns you to 30% health is used up, you no longer get the damage reduction. I could be wrong on this though.
    It still reduces the damage, you just won't get the healing portion of the talent until the debuff's duration is finished.
    3DS Friend Code: 1891-2236-0134

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    I can't see how it's so difficult to understand, and where all these conspiracy theories on how it works are coming from. Did loads reroll prot in 3.2? :-\
    i can understand that it might seem like i am a prot reroller. rest assured, i have been prot since level 10 (apart from 55-71), and i understand the mechanics of protection paladin well enough.

it used to be worded "all damage taken while below 35% is reduced by 30%". now it is worded "damage that would take you below 35% is reduced by 30%". also, we got reports from the PTR that the reduction is not in effect while AD is cooling down.

It's kind of ambiguous language Chronalis, for people who havent heard about it. The fact that it says "damage that takes you below 35%" SOUNDS like it MIGHT exclude damage, say, at 25%, which obviously ISNT taking you below 35% since you already are below 35%.

That said, Bliz specifically said they were increasing the previous functionality of the ability, which DID reduce all damage taken while below 35%, and including with that any hit which WOULD take you below 35%.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Accuser.
    It's kind of ambiguous language Chronalis, for people who havent heard about it. The fact that it says "damage that takes you below 35%" SOUNDS like it MIGHT exclude damage, say, at 25%, which obviously ISNT taking you below 35% since you already are below 35%.

That said, Bliz specifically said they were increasing the previous functionality of the ability, which DID reduce all damage taken while below 35%, and including with that any hit which WOULD take you below 35%.
    Never trust Blizzard's tooltip wording.... or else they might make a simple bug to your JotW a live nerf >_>

I've been Prot since 2005 and the tooltip made me do a double take too. It is worded like the only hit that gets its damage reduced is the one that takes you below 35%. Made me wonder why they'd changed the old functionality.

Cool thing you can do now though... go into a lowbie instance, gather a few dozen mobs, and then let them beat on you until you die. So you pop back at 30%, and it takes them longer than 2 minutes to kill you again, so you never die

I left my pally in the stockade being beat on for a good 30-40 mins while I had dinner, and he was still perfectly alive (with broken gear... doh!) when I returned.

I'M UNKILLABLE NOW! MUAHAHAHAHA!

ahem....
    ----------------------------------------
    1999 - 2001: Ultima Online
    2001 - 2004: Dark Age of Camelot
    2004 - Today: World of Warcraft
    *** 19 years of MMO gaming ***
    ----------------------------------------

The easiest way to understand the change is to recognize the 2 distinct problems that the new AD solves.

1. Leapfrogging - if a boss is capable of delivering a hit larger than 35% of your total health (which is very common in progression situations), then a single HoT tick was capable of killing you under the old AD if the stars aligned the wrong way.

2. Lack of tanking CD's - paladins did not have enough tools to survive large but predictable spike damage, which made them a complete non-starter for tanking hardmodes in general compared to DK's.