High Avoidance ~thoughts/help?

Lately I've been having a stat-crisis. Primarily with certain HM loot that has increadibly high amounts of agility and hit/exp on it but nearly half the stamina of the item its replacing.

I've been messing around with RAWR with and without certain buffs. Since HP is mostly a 'once you get enough of it' stat, if I have full raid stamina buffs, avoidance stays on top (espetially with kings scaling) and without those buffs I'm low enough that stamina gearing pops on the radar. My thought process is, since I tank progressively, why would I ever not have those buffs? So.. gear assuming I have max raid buffs.

Now, there may not be alot of ferals with this gear, but im having a very hard time staying under hit cap and my expertise is floating around 10%+ without going out of my way for it. I'm a JCer, so I didnt have to worry about terribad yellow gems before this patch, but now its a huge issue. With agi socket bonus' I dont think I can just ignore +4, +6, or even +8 agi. I'm basically looking at Dodge/Def, or even just pure Def, which.... makes me feel very very rotten inside. I'd like some input.

Most people took a 1-2% dodge nerf from the last patch, I took a 5% and in extreme cases (via procs) upwards of 7% nerf. Its noticable, and I find myself taking quite a few more damage spikes. But I check again and things like Endless Dark and Faceless General still rank BIS. I find myself tempted to gem stam against better judgement, and theorycraft.

RAWR can produce some oggy results based on extremely high dodge. I think it assumes that since you're hit so very few times, stats like stam-armor and other survival oriented pieces get 'used' less, and since your avoidance is already so high, it'll get 'used' more. so the values get to such a skewed point they list BC ring chants and other optimizations that are so far extreme you just ignore them.

Anyway, I've rambled for a while now. I was hoping some geared ferals could give their impression on the dirrection our BIS gearing has been going lately.

Re: High Avoidance ~thoughts/help?

if all your dodge came from agility, and agility received a 15% nerf, then

old agility - new agility = 0.07 (7%)
    new agility / old agility = 0.85 (15% nerf)

new agility = 0.85* old agility
    old agility - (0.85* old agility) =0.07

0.15*old agility = 0.07

this means you received 47% dodge only from agility. considering that we have a base 5% chance to dodge, 10% chance to dodge from talents, that would mean that your dodge was at 65% (with procs). I'm sure you received a good portion of that from defense rating/dodge rating (which got nerfed as well). Still, 65% seems a bit too high for me to believe without an armory link.

15+ Year Old Account

65% dodge is kinda normal with procs/trinket. DC: Greatness, idol, Mongoose + any kind of useable dodge trinket (happend to me on Vezax) was like 80% chance to dodge. Avoided 10 hits in a row, during Surge of Darkness. Was funny

As for your agi socket bonuses, dont waste them. Agi/crit is kinda the BiS gem for a yellow socket (not to mention 1 Nightmare Tear), all hail Savage Defense

I am a Leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

64% was my absolute highend actually. was usually 62-63 highend though (getting every single proc happening at once is just rare).

This was pre-patch though.

agi/crit? savage defense has a near perfect uptime, it sounds nice but I'd like to see something that demonstrates crit being better than defense, I kind of doubt it is. Defense adds to miss which is further avoidance.

edit: actually, you're a stam stacker. Which is prolly why agi/crit does more for you. I already stack agi so geming crit isnt going to really do much for me.

I use full stam JC gems for blue slots. I usually only have three blue slots available.

I use Epic Agil gems for red slots.

And I still use +hit+expertise gems for yellow slots. I dont' find anything wrong with my gear for progesssion. I've tanked ever boss in uldar with ease.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Morganaugh
    agi/crit? savage defense has a near perfect uptime, it sounds nice but I'd like to see something that demonstrates crit being better than defense, I kind of doubt it is. Defense adds to miss which is further avoidance.

edit: actually, you're a stam stacker. Which is prolly why agi/crit does more for you. I already stack agi so geming crit isnt going to really do much for me.
    Interesting, you call me a stamina stacker, since I'm not. Stamina stacking would be put full stamina gems in every slot. You saw 2 stamina trinket in my slots, thats huuuuge stamina stacking... Usually I'm using DC:G and one stamina trinket, but 2 stamina setup makes my life easier to tank heroics.

If you would have read my previous posts here at MMO, you should know, that I'm against to being sponge. And I'm feeling offended by that you called me stam stacker. Sad panda is sad.

Back to the topic agi/crit does more to the threat along side with SD, that's why I like it more.
    I am a Leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

armory was broken then, showed every slot with stam, all JCing stams, except for 2 agi/crits and a couple agi/stams.

Wasnt meant to be a 'YOU'RE A STAM STACKER DIAF!'

Also, if you're simply going for pure threat. I've seen lists that rank agi/haste better than agi/crit for bears. Not that I would do that, but I dont think I would gem either way.

I really wish there was an agi/def gem personally. Theres a dodge/def and the colors match up right to make an orange.