Shadow Priest Rotation

Ok so i know shadow priests are based generally on a priority system (DP up>VT up>MB>MF when everything else is up>SWP since its refreshed with MF)
    (VT>MB>DP according to EJ)

so i did some dabbling since 3.2 and thank god for the devo plague change eh. anyhow with this change i found a simple and easy rotation for my spriest that i feel would work well in most fights outside of heroism.

so then the rotation goes as followed

MF>VT>DP>SWP>VE>MB>VE>MF>DP>MB>MF>MF>MB>VT>MF>DP
    repeat MB>MF>MF>MB>VT>MF>DP after substituting the last mind flay for cool down macros.

anyhow. i haven't seen anything like this anywhere and i was going to ask if the clipping of DP was a dps loss or not and if so how much?

i know this rotation would change with 4piece t8.5 and it would almost reset with dispersion casts
    my priest isn't haste capped and i'm not in super amazing gear on it(ulduar 10 pieces with some naxx 25 and 2 8.5 pieces)

Edit i generally don't bother with VE unless its really needed on a fight just because its pretty shitty and the MF at the beginning of the rotation
    KEY:
    VT=Vampiric Touch
    MB=Mind Blast
    SWP= Shadow Word Pain
    VE=Vampiric Embrace
    MF=Mind Flay

Re: Shadow Priest Rotation

Don't cast Shadow Word: Pain so quickly. You want to cast it after you get 5/5 Shadow Weaving up, and hopefully by then some other procs so you don't have to waste dps recasting it later.

There are a couple of issues here. Assuming you are DPSing single target boss.

First is what above poster said. Dont cast Shadow Word Pain before you have 5 stacks of shadow weaving. Even you said that when everything else is up>SWP since its refreshed with MF, so stick to it.

Second, I couldnt understand why did you cast VE twice within 3 seconds, and DP twice within 10 seconds. And also the first two VTs are way too far apart from each other.

Third, 3.2 shouldnt change our rotation much if at all. So the shadow dps 101 sticky is still useful to read.

well it can be changed around to just start MB>VT>MF>DP>SWP but i have never gone that route or maybe just burn a mind flay first for the 3stacks from that.... then do the above rotation, that seems a bit easier >.>

and the VT is refreshed about .2seconds before it falls off.

DP is refreshed at 9seconds left, and yes this is for single target. i'm not asking if this is right cause it pretty much isn't for most people but i am asking if and how much dps i lose clipping 9seconds off DP

assuming SWP is cast with 5stacks of shadow weaving like it should be

I think the only thing that's changed in 3.2 is it's now easier to waste mana recasting Devouring Plague too early (and lets face it, at 900ish mana per cast, it's an expensive spell). A nice side effect is you can cast it on multiple targets, but I'm not sure how effective that will be, haven't tried it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by noxxous
    well it can be changed around to just start MB>VT>MF>DP>SWP but i have never gone that route
    Well, the reason you cast SW:P after you have buffs up is because it carries with it whatever buffs you had when you originally cast it as it continually gets refreshed. So if you cast it with 2 stacks of Shadow Weaving up, it will do the damage of SW:P with 2 stacks of Shadow Weaving for the entire fight, it's damage won't increase as you gain more stacks later. You can also boost your SW:P damage by activating any trinkets that can effect SW:P before casting it so those buffs will effect SW:P for the entire fight (assuming it doesn't drop off).

Quote Originally Posted by Leidus
    I think the only thing that's changed in 3.2 is it's now easier to waste mana recasting Devouring Plague too early (and lets face it, at 900ish mana per cast, it's an expensive spell). A nice side effect is you can cast it on multiple targets, but I'm not sure how effective that will be, haven't tried it yet.
    Devouring Plague Rank 8
    25% of base mana 30 yd range
    Instant cast
    Afflicts the target with a disease that causes 1144 Shadow damage over 24 sec. 15% of damage caused by the Devouring Plague heals the caster. This spell can only affect one target at a time.

Oh snap I hadn't noticed that. Thanks.

Well, the reason you cast SW:P after you have buffs up is because it carries with it whatever buffs you had when you originally cast it as it continually gets refreshed. So if you cast it with 2 stacks of Shadow Weaving up, it will do the damage of SW:P with 2 stacks of Shadow Weaving for the entire fight, it's damage won't increase as you gain more stacks later. You can also boost your SW:P damage by activating any trinkets that can effect SW:P before casting it so those buffs will effect SW:P for the entire fight (assuming it doesn't drop off).
    mmm yea i just realized that and i feel dumb for casting it when i did (thank god its still an alt) thanks for that

but yea the mana cost is another thing that may cause trouble but i haven't gone oom yet on any boss fights.

A manawaste? Who cares about manawaste when it's a major dps loss to clip dots.

refreshing SWP does not refresh trinket boosts/procs, only Shadow Weaving and a few other fight related buffs such as Rune of Power in IC

I suggest reading the Shadow Priest 101 sticky at the top of this forum, lots of awesome info in there about this stuff.

EX - <PIE CHART> US TOP 10 Check 'em out http://piechart-guild.com/