is owlkin frenzy viable for pve now?

well its redesigned for not only melle but any hit. aoe in many fights that cant be avoided imo would trigger this due to the wording. now im just curious if anyone has an comments on it.

Deleted

Re: is owlkin frenzy viable for pve now?

I looked into it a few weeks ago, and i think the general concensus was "Nah". It is much more a PvP talent, and not very viable for PvE. Consider if you will how often you are actually being hit, and then take into account the 15% chance to proc. Only fights like Hodir and Iron Council has enough AOE to keep it up often enough.

It's certainly not a talent that's gonna provide a huge dps increase. But you can always try out just putting 1 spare point into it to see if it increases your dps or not.

There's plenty of encounters which have non-avoidable aoe-damage, but with a 5% proc chance and the fact that you want to get hit by as less damage as possible i doubt it's a very good talent point investment.

P.S. The talent wasn't redesigned for all hits. It always procced of spell and melee hits. I think the change with the mana regen was to solve some mana issues moonkins we're having with pvp gear. But moonkin pvp viability problem wasn't mana it was survivability mainly.

Deleted

Yes, there is some unavoidable damage, but not constant unavoidable damage. Consider a fight like XT - you only have damage during the tantrums or if you get the light spark on you. So thats a proc per minute, at best.

I always look at this talent and wonder if it would be worth putting any points. However, I keep coming to the conclusion that it wouldn't be. I'm often tryiny to minimize how much damage I'm receiving while in an encounter and this talent is opposite to that mentality as it requires me to take some to activate. Like other have said, it's definitely better off for pvp.

If you have the spare point, I would say its slightly better then say, IFF/IMF but never take it over something like... E&M, Imp Moonkin, Starfall, or (god forbid, if you do this, I will kill you) Eclipse.

Its nothing super special, but it has made the difference between 4.4k dps and 4.8k dps plenty of times for me (with 1 point in it)
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Theorycrafting and posting numbers on forums
    Not everyone is going to be an expert theorycrafter or mathematics expert, and we're not expecting you to be one in order to participate in these forum discussions. But also be honest about the fact that linking to someone else's work doesn't necessarily turn you into one either.

Was that too harsh? (Source)

with all of the aoe damage flying about in the new instance, it will probably get proced a bit more. There is tons of raid damage in the Acidmaw/dreadscale fight, same with the Jaraxxus fight.

Quote Originally Posted by FourofaKind
    If you have the spare point, I would say its slightly better then say, IFF/IMF but never take it over something like...
    There's no way I would rank Owlkin Frenzy above IFF. IFF is effectively a permanent 3% crit, and if you don't have a shadow priest with you it's probably the single most important talent for a boomkin to have (+3% hit for the entire raid is worth a hell of a lot more than any other DPS talent).

As for IMF, that's 10% extra chance to proc Nature's Grace every time you cast MF, not to mention the extra damage it does for both the direct cast and the DoT. You'd probably have to do the math on it, but I'd say it's still better than OF. For well geared druids it's a moot point anyway - the only other talent you'd consider getting at that tier is Moonglow, which is unnecessary once you're geared enough.

Its nothing super special, but it has made the difference between 4.4k dps and 4.8k dps plenty of times for me (with 1 point in it)
    I highly doubt it. A 400 DPS increase (9%) would basically require it to be up almost the entire fight which is pretty difficult for a talent that only lasts 10 secs with just 5% chance to proc on damage taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    in soviet russia, mods troll you!

The difference in your dps here could be the results of several factors, rng, movement, pushback, etc...the list goes on and on. There is no proven way to prove if owlkin frenzy would of increased your dps, becuase of the many factors that happen in a raid.

As far as the talent itself, its designed as more of a pvp talent then a pve talent. Yes the damage increase and the mana back would be nice, but for it to be worth using you have have to be constantly taking damage. And I have also heard that aura effects, like hodir's, will not proc frenzy. The talent was never designed to be a pve talent, even though yes there are certain encounter were it might be nice to have it. Did we all forget will blizz nerfed owlkin frenzy becuase boomkins were standing in the lava on sarth.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Degrador
    As for IMF, that's 10% extra chance to proc Nature's Grace every time you cast MF, not to mention the extra damage it does for both the direct cast and the DoT.
    Too bad it doesn't affect a lot the DoT (bonus is additive with glyph and moonfury), last time I checked 2 points in IMF was about the same DPS increase than 2 points in genesis. Considering you should have MF glyph.. IMF is just worthless.

2 points in IMF will increase your final damage of MF DoT about 5% when glyphed+moonfury, MF DoT does (without t9, should be better after) about 40% of your DoTs damage if IS is also glyphed, which makes an overall 2% damage buff on DoTs... which is just exactly the same as 2 points in genesis.

Nature's grace makes it a (very) little better but far from a real increase in your overall DPS... something like one nature's grace proc every 4 minutes : 0.6s cast time gained every 240s, +0.25% dps increase, considering your nature's grace never overrides another one AND considering you take full advantage of the proc (which is, of course, not very likely, so you can assume way less than that)
    Oh, hi.

Deleted

On fights with lots of aoe damage flying around, i.e. mimiron hm, vezax hm and animus phase in particular - it's good to have it because it procs all the time and gives you 10% more damage.

It's completely useless as a mana regen talent though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla
    Too bad it doesn't affect a lot the DoT (bonus is additive with glyph and moonfury), last time I checked 2 points in IMF was about the same DPS increase than 2 points in genesis. Considering you should have MF glyph.. IMF is just worthless.

2 points in IMF will increase your final damage of MF DoT about 5% when glyphed+moonfury, MF DoT does (without t9, should be better after) about 40% of your DoTs damage if IS is also glyphed, which makes an overall 2% damage buff on DoTs... which is just exactly the same as 2 points in genesis.

Nature's grace makes it a (very) little better but far from a real increase in your overall DPS... something like one nature's grace proc every 4 minutes : 0.6s cast time gained every 240s, +0.25% dps increase, considering your nature's grace never overrides another one AND considering you take full advantage of the proc (which is, of course, not very likely, so you can assume way less than that)
    As before, your only other option is Moonglow which is even more useless with decent gear.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Degrador
    As before, your only other option is Moonglow which is even more useless with decent gear.
    Maybe (depending on fights), but that wasn't the question here. Question was "is IMF better than OF ?", and on most fights the answer will be no.
    Oh, hi.

Deleted

If you have the spare point, I would say its slightly better then say, IFF/IMF but never take it over something like... E&M, Imp Moonkin, Starfall, or (god forbid, if you do this, I will kill you) Eclipse.

IFF is a must have these days, unless you are desperately trying to get mana. I have two points that are just lying around in Intensity that i could let go, but i really don't see the benefit of Owlkin Frenzy over being able to provide innervates for myself or the raid.

I don't think that it was Owlkin Frenzy that gave you 400 DPS. I can swing a good 1k DPS depending on the fight and RNG.

Improved Moonfire will be awesome with T92P bonus and MF glyph.

Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla
    Maybe (depending on fights), but that wasn't the question here. Question was "is IMF better than OF ?", and on most fights the answer will be no.
    Not really. The question was whether it's worth taking points from IMF, and the answer to that is no - if you were going to take them from anywhere, you'd take them from Moonglow first, and if you already haven't got Moonglow then you need the points there anyway to advance the tier.