Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: prot threat "too high" discussion

im tank squad leader of a pretty average guild , we've killed yoggy on normal but it took us ages!
    i have the good fortune to have 1 tank of each of the 4 varieties , we have no MT as such (i scrapped that when i took the job) all of us are very closely geared ilevel wise.

more and more im finding the default situation for me is pally tanks everything , we use the bear if there's a single add to tank that has high damage, or the dk if the add requires high threat.

i would sum up the current tank situation as. Pal+DK have the threat for the job, Pal and bear have the survivability for the job.

i have seen some warriors posting here saying they got 5-6k tps i will say that is kinda low. i pull that selfbuffed (Battle shout) on 5-mans, in raids (aka 25-man) i do 9k+ every time as a warrior and yes i have glyph of vigilance and use it on a lock with no threat reduction.

for me it's kinda the reverse if the paladin tank tanks something i can overaggro him. sometimes when he taunts off the boss my rend and deep wounds will so much dmg i will overaggro him if i do a few devastes, so now i just move back after he has taunted not to get back aggro. (i have a 40% crit chans with devaste, tal 15% T8 2 part 10% freal drood buff 5% horn 3% base 7%)

for me this nerf seems unneeded

tho paladin aoe threat is miles better than any other tank

your paladin is bad, personally i was edging 7k tps prior to 3.1 with a couple of blues still making me want to kill myself, at least in perfect situations, right now any paladin worth his salt is getting higher or equal threat to the other tank classes without really having to worry about threat stats, this was OK when we didn't have a passive immunity to death, right now it means not only are paladins great for hard modes, they can output more threat than any other tank, aswell as the worst outcome of any physical attack being it does 3k less damage after mitigation.

pallies needed a threat nerf, although i want to see how str comes out from number crunches as a stat after this change.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    There is also things that reduce aggro on the tank as well, i.e. Wind Buffet.... not that we see that move anytime in this era :P
    WinG Buffet, it's a wing hit :P

Or Broodlord's Blast Wave, where melees were supposed to get hit in order to keep aggro under control.

I meant in general, of course :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Threat was too high anyway. This won't change much.

Quote Originally Posted by Copain
    The problem I have with this, is I'm not a cookie cutter spec. I play the game to have fun and not to do the "Pro" spec and not have fun because I'm so focused on that. I hold threat well, and do ti well. But a lock in my guild has taken to throwing out all his Threat reductions for more damage, which will be an issue with this threat nerf.
    Which is kinda the point.

Blizzard doesn't want tanks to produce so much threat that DPS never have to worry about pulling off their tank. They want threat to be something to concern yourself about, keep an eye on, and learn to manage.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Arel
    WinG Buffet, it's a wing hit :P

Or Broodlord's Blast Wave, where melees were supposed to get hit in order to keep aggro under control.

I meant in general, of course :P
    Typing on a laptop at 3am does that to ya

Quote Originally Posted by Copain
    The problem I have with this, is I'm not a cookie cutter spec. I play the game to have fun and not to do the "Pro" spec and not have fun because I'm so focused on that. I hold threat well, and do ti well. But a lock in my guild has taken to throwing out all his Threat reductions for more damage, which will be an issue with this threat nerf.
    This is kind of an asinine point. If you're not playing to your highest potential and others are, you really shouldn't complain about a nerf. You may have more fun as a sub-optimal spec, and it may work for you, but your point is about as valid as if I had said, "I don't use ShoR in my rotation and I have threat problems, so there's no need for a nerf."
    Looking for a great guild on Tichondrius?

out threat is high enough that the nerf won't hit us too hard

I think that part of the problem, is that the cookie cutter prot paladin talent spec is a high tps spec, it ignores some of the defensive talents and as such made even less experienced tanks able to pull very high tps.

Personally I've never spec'd the cookie cutter spec, and have likewise never had problems with threat. I have however found since 3.2, that our warrior tank in guild is pulling around the same tps as me. With the change we'll lose around 5% tps, which shouldn't be a major problem, worst comes to the worst we can always just spec for threat (assuming you don't have the cookie cutter spec already) or itemise a little more for it.

I'm thinking that this minor nerf will be blamed for prot paladin tps dropping, when in reality it'll actually drop by a lot of prot paladins swapping to the new dodge libram and losing around 500 blockvalue (after talents).