Potion of Speed when building SoV stack.

So, 25.21 Haste Rating provide 1% melee haste.
    A Potion of Speed provides 500 haste rating.
    500 haste rating is 19,83% melee haste.
    Our SoV DOT is only applied via white swings.

My current attack speed is 3.15 sec unbuffed.

(Attack speed * number of pauses between swings = time to build a stack)
    3.15*4 = 12,6 seconds

With a Potion of Speed it would take me:

((Attack speed at 19.83% less) * number of pauses between swings = time to build a stack)
    (3.15 * 0.8017) * 4 = ~10,1 seconds

During the first 15 seconds of a fight when not using the potion I would get 4 swings (15 / 3.15 = 4.76). Which means no SoV Proccs from swings.
    With a potion during the first 15 seconds I would get 5 swings (15 / (3.15 * 0.8017) = 5.95), which means 1 SoV Procc from swings.
    With raid buffs I'm guessing it would be 6 swings with a potion.

Would there be any point to using a Potion of Speed just before you land your first swing?
    Is the 2.5 second advantage in building a stack and getting an extra procc during the first 15 seconds so small it doesn't matter?
    Or is my math no good?

Re: Potion of Speed when building SoV stack.

you should gain more dps if you use it at 5 stacks and pop wings + trinkets
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." (Albert Einstein)

Yeah, one potion only. Forgot about that. Using one just before combat then? :S
    You would get maybe 13-14 seconds out of the 15 but still be able to use another one when popping wings and trinkets.
    That of course means the math needs to be redone, argh..

Edit:
    Though if I use it just before combat I still have 4 seconds to start swinging and still make use of it by only needing 10.1 seconds to build a stack.

Quote Originally Posted by Skopan
    Using one just before combat then?
    In my guild some people use it right before getting into combat so they can use it again later in the fight.
    That gives a little dps boost in the beginning, so... If you got the money for potions... Go for it.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Opze
    In my guild some people use it right before getting into combat so they can use it again later in the fight.
    That gives a little dps boost in the beginning, so... If you got the money for potions... Go for it.
    thats a good idea :P

and mats arent too hard to get
    except if your herbalism is a lvl71 dk.. storm peak is ok but sholozar is a bit more dense with mob

Quote Originally Posted by Opze
    Usually you wait for the mt to get some threat at the start, so that potion would just be wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo
    Usually you wait for the mt to get some threat at the start, so that potion would just be wasted.

lol really? if your tank is a paladin and you still have to wait find another tank, taunt+exo, Captain america should be enough threat for the whole fight

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Hirako

lol really? if your tank is a paladin and you still have to wait find another tank, taunt+exo, Captain america should be enough threat for the whole fight
    I think the point he was making was that you have to wait, at least a moment, for the tank to get aggro, therefore putting you in combat, therefore only allowing 1 potion to be used. And if you use the potion before combat you are wasting the time on the potion waiting for the tank to engage so you can make best use of the potion.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account

I made a whole reply I had to delete thinking this was about tanking hahahahahahahahah

EDIT: To add to the discussion though, it would be interesting to use a potion of speed just to get SoV stacks. Perhaps it'll work? Especially with a decent tank who can take the increased threat from your faster attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurytos
    I think the point he was making was that you have to wait, at least a moment, for the tank to get aggro, therefore putting you in combat, therefore only allowing 1 potion to be used. And if you use the potion before combat you are wasting the time on the potion waiting for the tank to engage so you can make best use of the potion.
    You can use it while the paladin is casting exo, or maybe a sec before that, you wont be in combat... then you can jump right in, you might have wasted a second or two... and doesnt right clicking a mob from far away starts your auto attack swing, so you wouldnt have to wait for 3.something seconds (depends on your weapon + buffs) for the first swing to land? (correct me if i am wrong.)

- If i am right that like maybe 2 seconds wasted on the potion, it lasts 15 seconds.

Lets say with raid buffs and stuff you are at exactly 3.00 speed, theres ~13 seconds left on the potion that 4 swings = 4 stacks

- If i am wrong ignore everything i said :P

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Skopan
    So, 25.21 Haste Rating provide 1% melee haste.
    A Potion of Speed provides 500 haste rating.
    500 haste rating is 19,83% melee haste.
    Our SoV DOT is only applied via white swings.

My current attack speed is 3.15 sec unbuffed.

(Attack speed * number of pauses between swings = time to build a stack)
    3.15*4 = 12,6 seconds

With a Potion of Speed it would take me:

((Attack speed at 19.83% less) * number of pauses between swings = time to build a stack)
    (3.15 * 0.8017) * 4 = ~10,1 seconds

During the first 15 seconds of a fight when not using the potion I would get 4 swings (15 / 3.15 = 4.76). Which means no SoV Proccs from swings.
    With a potion during the first 15 seconds I would get 5 swings (15 / (3.15 * 0.8017) = 5.95), which means 1 SoV Procc from swings.
    With raid buffs I'm guessing it would be 6 swings with a potion.

Would there be any point to using a Potion of Speed just before you land your first swing?
    Is the 2.5 second advantage in building a stack and getting an extra procc during the first 15 seconds so small it doesn't matter?
    Or is my math no good?
    2 things.
    1.) SoV will still proc for a fraction of the 33-38% damage, as long as 1 stack is up on the mob.
    2.) You forgot to factor in the haste effects from your haste from gear, and haste from talents (Swift Retribution).

Pulled from my FAQ:

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    The formula for finding your weapon speed is given below:

Base speed / {(1+ Haste effect one)*(1+ Haste effect two)* … *( 1+ [Haste rating
    one + Haste rating two + … + Haste rating N]/2521)}

For example, if a Paladin with a 3.6 second weapon swing timer is under the effect of both Icy Talons and Heroism, and has 14% Haste from their Haste rating, and uses a Potion of Speed, they would have the following:

Swing Timer / Icy Talons (20%) * Heroism (30%) * haste from Haste rating
    3.6 seconds / {(1 + 20/100)*(1+ 30/100)*(1+ [352.94 + 500]/2521)} = 1.72 seconds

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a strength potion better than haste? They are more expensive to make, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopzz
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a strength potion better than haste? They are more expensive to make, though.

Good question. With seal of martyr haste potion was better. With the recent changes I'm not sure anymore. I'll look into it also and see if I can find anything on it.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Adamson

Good question. With seal of martyr haste potion was better. With the recent changes I'm not sure anymore. I'll look into it also and see if I can find anything on it.
    My assumption is that the Strength potion will be better, since the DoT scales with Strength damage-wise and not Haste.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    My assumption is that the Strength potion will be better, since the DoT scales with Strength damage-wise and not Haste.
    I could have swore that somebody, maybe Adamson, had made a post a while back that even still Haste pot was better than Str pot. I can't remember how far back it was, if it was before 3.2 or during.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurytos
    I could have swore that somebody, maybe Adamson, had made a post a while back that even still Haste pot was better than Str pot. I can't remember how far back it was, if it was before 3.2 or during.
    That was me but that was when haste was almost as good as crit. If our mechanics had been left alone, upon reaching higher gear levels haste would actually been better than crit.

With the new seal mechanics haste and armor pen are both our two worst stats as far as melee stats go.

I'm 99% certain that insane strength potions will prove to be better than haste potions for ramping up damage.

a positive note is that using a str potion during wings/heroism is also more beneficial. Whereas using a haste potion during a heroism was actually a bad idea. Using the speed potion after the heroism was a larger dps increase for the whole fight.

Damn those equations with the bloody +1 on the end :P