Level 65 protection Pally Spec? and Rotation?

Please give me your insights on what Protection spec I should be going for leveling purposes (mainly quests) but also can tank in instances. Also What kind of rotation do I use at 65? Never played a prot pally, always been ret for leveling. I want to start practicing tanking so im no scrub for when it comes time for heroics and such. Here's my armory with current protection spec if it helps any. http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...rall&n=Nvidiaa

Thanks

Re: Level 65 protection Pally Spec? and Rotation?

For a spec, I would look at something like this:
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0xAMzgusIufdb

This is pretty close to the 'cookie cutter' tank spec anyway, with respect to the prot tree. The primary differences are skipping improved Devo Aura (I don't think you'll find it useful much leveling although it's pretty "core" for end-game tanking), and putting 5 points in Reckoning (which is very useful for leveling/grinding but generally isn't worth more than 3 points for threat in end-game tank specs, and even that part is optional). I think you'll also find Imp HoJ useful for stuns when soloing (between Improved Hammer of Justice and the indirect buff from Judgements of the Just, you'll have a 20-second cooldown on that stun!).

The basic rotation for prot tanks is the so-called 96969 rotation. The rotation involves continuously rotating between your two 6-second abilities (Hammer of the Righteous and Shield of Righteousness) and your abilities that will be up after ~9 seconds (Judgement {with 1 point in Imp. Judgements from ret tree}, Holy Shield, and Consecrate). By continuously alternating between the 6- and 9-second categories for each attack in the rotation, you will have an ability to use every GCD and maintain maximal threat.

As you begin to practice this, your rotation will operate differently, because Shield of Righteousness is not available to you until level 75. Nonetheless, you can begin to work on this mechanic and practice it (with a hole every other "6") to learn the abilities and their use.

Also, read the forums at http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ - lots of good material there.

I hope that helps a little as a starting point.
    ~Vex
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Stormscale&n=Vexryn

wow awesome!!! thank you very much for the information. This helps a ton!!!!

15+ Year Old Account

Offtopic: "NVidia" is a good paladin name, because like NVidia chips the older versions are usually better while the newer ones crash and stop working

Also, while leveling, it goes without saying, buff urself w/Seal of wisdom, imp RF, and BoSanc. use judgement of light, and as long as u fight 4-5 mobs at a time, u never run out of mana, and almost always have full life.
    Can't spell protection spec without pro.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by biffdabulge
    Also, while leveling, it goes without saying, buff urself w/Seal of wisdom, imp RF, and BoSanc. use judgement of light, and as long as u fight 4-5 mobs at a time, u never run out of mana, and almost always have full life.
    This.

When you reach 71 and get Divine Plea, you can switch to Seal of Vengeance, as you'll usually have more than enough mana for everything if you keep it rolling all the time (chainpulling as prot wins).
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

awesome you guys have been alot of help. Thanks again!!

But I guess im still a little confused about the rotation, and what talents and stuff to have on on my bars? For both tanking, and Questing.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Qazzi
    awesome you guys have been alot of help. Thanks again!!

But I guess im still a little confused about the rotation, and what talents and stuff to have on on my bars? For both tanking, and Questing.
    The "standard" rotation for a tankadin is what we call 969. Which means, chaining one ability with 9seconds cooldown with another at 6 seconds cooldown. I'll give you an example:

Holy Shield - Shield of Righteousness - Judgement - Hammer of the Righteous - Consecration - Shield of Righteousness - Holy Shield - Hammer of the Righteous - etc etc

This, of course, assumes you have all your abilities, which you won't until 75.
    For now, do this: keep Holy Shield up all the time, and use Hammer of the Righteous, Consecration and Judgement on every cooldown. You have enough time to keep all of them rolling.

As for what having in your bar well, I have (that you have at your level, then I have more) HotR, Holy Shield, Judgement, Consecration, Hand of Reckoning, Righteous Vengeance, Divine Protection, Hammer of Justice, Flash of Light and Cleanse binded.
    Divine Plea, Holy Light, Divine Shield, Righteous Fury, I click when I need (not often). I have a macro to change Seals, but that's a different matter.

In short: the abilities you use the most, bind them. Keep FoL and HL on your bars, either binded or on click. The buffs you use once in a while, have them on bar but click them. Get used on having 3-4 action bars full if you need to keep an eye on everything, macros, bindings, blessings, trinkets, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.