Thread: inferior dps

inferior dps

http://armory.wow-europe.com/charact...+Hand&n=Talaya

Note: 5 man heroics!

This mages pulls off around 2k dps sometimes +-500 depending on the fight (length/movement) always buffed with kings.

What could she change to improve dps? I see her spell power is quite low, will more spell power improve dps alot at this stage of progression? (already checked elitistjerks but couldn't find that "boom! you are missing THAT"-fact)
    help would be greatly appreciated.

Note again: 5 man heroics!
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

Re: inferior dps

Hey!

I had the same problem with that, I mostly also do 5man hcs these days and less raids, so I tried and changed to arcane spec!

and WoW, the dps of arcane is increased! I mostly do 3300 dps selfbuffed with this talent
    because hcs dont have long fights u dont have to bother about mana issues, so arcane is a good choice for hcs tho.

but for longer fights I suggest to be firebuild, in raids

but arcane is imo the way for hcs
    just check my mage, its not that geared, but I get arround 3300 dps

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...calp&n=Merlock
    Duel me if u dare! I think your chicken, /duel
    http://snoekje. mybrute. com

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

fire, is highly reliant on raid buffs.

arcane less
    Lokann ogar!
    /brofist
    lotharion: "inserting the Lich King as a scooby doo villain didn't exactly make him scary in the slightest."

For heroics, the biggest problem is that this person has extremely overgeared for hit. They are using 2 useless hit gems. Even for a 25 man raid, you have over 15% hit, and there is no reason to gear for more than 14% (you have to assume you have a boomkin or shadow priest). For heroics you can live with 5% hit or so. If you're a typical arcane build 100% of that comes from talents.

Thanks for the answer (whister I think armory catched you in your wintergrasp-fishing outfit ;D)
    She would really like to play fire because she likes the playstyle, but I will tell her arcane would be an option for more dps.
    Samin
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

other things to improve your dps

I checked the gems on your mage and.....its not that best imo
    I saw +20 intellect....why that?
    most important stats are:
    spellpower-crit-haste

another thing for arcane mages are: u only need 290 hitrating te be hitcapped, so all other gems etc u can use for spellpower!

edit:
    Samin check agai on my mage....I changed to my best gear now.... (too much pvp gear sadly)
    Duel me if u dare! I think your chicken, /duel
    http://snoekje. mybrute. com

great i will send her here in a few hours (when its evening over here) so i may can convince her to take off all that +int (she refuses to believe me that a bit) and as much +hit as possible because she is almost always in heroics with a dreanei..
    Samin

First of all, you/she is waaaay overcapped on hit, as said already. In 5 man heroics you will only have a 8% miss chance on bosses (lvl 82). Also she's specced TtW fireball, which the gear isnt good enough for yet.
    If she wants to stay fire, go ffb instead and focus on crit/SP.

As said, arcane is prolly the best 5 man spec - you barely need hit (6% from talents), your damage is all single target and you dont rely alot on crits, and you cast rather fast.
    BUT fire can perfom well too. If you have a proper tank, you can just aoe it all: Living bomb on all target -> flamestrike -> blizzard.

And as some1 stated already. Intellect gems?? What is this :P
    Gem for either pure SP, or sp/haste, sp/crit depending on what spec you go for.
    Oh and ofc, 2 sp/spirit gems to activate the Chaotic skyflare meta gem

Nobody cares about dps in 5-Man Dungeons.

/thread
    Sha of *Gay* Pride!

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrixmgp

For example as a fresh level 80 DK with only a titansteel destroyer and the rest blues I was able to out DPS casters in full epics and Naxx 25 gear.
    You can but only if they're pretty bad... how much DPS were you doing in that gear? My mage, unbuffed, has no trouble at all doing 3K DPS in heroics. Even more if we happen to have heroism.

Also to the person saying you need 8%, I believe that's wrong. It's 17% total for a level 83 mob, and I remember that there's 11% extra between level 82 and level 83, so you would only need 6%, which is 100% covered by arcane talents. Even if it's not, it's hard to get rid of a few % of hit from your gear (like getting rid of all the spirit).

Might want to point out to her also that those 2 trinkets share the same Internal Cooldown and can't both be procced.

Quote Originally Posted by bockbear
    Also to the person saying you need 8%, I believe that's wrong. It's 17% total for a level 83 mob, and I remember that there's 11% extra between level 82 and level 83, so you would only need 6%, which is 100% covered by arcane talents. Even if it's not, it's hard to get rid of a few % of hit from your gear (like getting rid of all the spirit).
    We are talking about heroics... Bosses are lvl 82, not 83. So they are right, you are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrixmgp
    Caster DPS will always be lower in 5 mans cause stuff dies so fast compared to melees.
    You are confusing dps with dmg done I believe... A mage (arcane at least) has no dots, it's all instant dmg, so he doesn't care if mobs dies fast. His dps will still be good, an aff lock's dps would suck bad though...

As everyone said: Remove every + int gems and + hit gems, get pure spell power

it would be best if she put a weapon spell power enchant on her weap, and get the hit elsewhere(ie. sockets) seeing as she's a little below the hit cap (for raids), and for heroics, according to the other guys, she's fine, so in both cases, put spell power on that weap (imo)

Quote Originally Posted by Whister

most important stats are:
    spellpower-crit-haste
    Actually it's SP > Haste > Crit. Simply because you always get the full benefit out of haste while crit is an RNG stat.

And yeah, fire kinda suck in heroics. You usually get no buffs and the long cast time / short fight combination makes it that you can't really go all out dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Zophiel
    Might want to point out to her also that those 2 trinkets share the same Internal Cooldown and can't both be procced.
    A Lot of mages have those 2 trinkets including myself. Suggestions on replacing one with? Thanks.

Not using the 21 Agi/3% crit dmg meta would be a good start, unless I'm hallucinating that gem on the armory.

Don't gem straight crit, ever.

Use LB glyph, max out TTW, don't take blast wave.

A lot of this is actually unhelpful if the only goal is to maximise dps in heroics.. but why would you want to do that exclusively?
    Slightly OT, I have much better gear and I can't maintain more than 4k DPS overall in a heroic. More on bosses, sure, but to get anywhere near that throughout I have to go full AoE nuke and end up pulling aggro making it more stressful for everyone. This also means I waste time drinking and end up missing trash and doing lower overall damage or force the group to slow down.

Others have pointed out everything else I noticed.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Milamber
    Nobody cares about dps in 5-Man Dungeons.

/thread
    Please post a link from EVERY player in WoW verifying that they do not care.

If she is resistant to switch her int gems for SP, explain that there are no heroic fights where she stands a chance of running out of mana, assuming the group knows what they are doing, and that the SP/crit increase from +20 int is not as good. She can see this for herself by looking at her stats before and after buffing AI. Then offer to buy her the gems to replace if she sees no increase.

All that said, if she is happy and bosses are dying, it doesn't really matter.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"