Tracking my Buddy's dots

Just as I was starting to get somewhat familiar with my destro mechanics, and I was starting to manage to not clip dots, keep spirit tap up, re-cast conflag as soon as it's ready, etc, I got faced with a new challenge last night. I ran a raid with another lock. My trusty Needtoknow buff tracker started telling me dots were on the target when I didn't have any up because it was tracking his dots as well as mine. I think I let curse and immo drop off of the target more than a few times, and I don't know how many times I tried and failed at Conflag because it was actually his immo on the target and not mine. I then started getting paranoid every time I saw only one dot on the target, I'd refresh as soon as I saw this, and probably clipped my own dots more than a few times. Are there any buff/debuff trackers out there that monitor source and target so that you don't have to watch your buddies curses.

Re: Tracking my Buddy's dots

I don't know if they are up to date ...
    DoTimer
    ClassTimer
    Eventhorizon

but I'm certain you can setup need to know to only show your dots
    Welcome to the Internet, where the men are men, the women are men, the children are police officers, everyone is correct all of the time, even when they're wrong, and where opinions are more valid the more insults and swear words you include with them.

Oh good. I like needtoknow. I didn't know it would let you get that in depth in the configuration. I'll give it a try tonight.

10+ Year Old Account

I use X-perl and it has an option to make your DoTs appear twice as big as everyone else's, so its very easy for me to tell if my DoTs are up. Also have Necrosis(summon speeches OFF) which also tracks DoTs.
    Only 2 things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe - Albert Einstein

15+ Year Old Account

I highly recommend ForteXorcist. It comes pre-configured for you and the spell timer is amazing (i.e. I've used DoTimer religiously, played with ClassTimer, and even used XPerl's setup for a while, and I will never, ever, go back again.)

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    I highly recommend ForteXorcist. It comes pre-configured for you and the spell timer is amazing (i.e. I've used DoTimer religiously, played with ClassTimer, and even used XPerl's setup for a while, and I will never, ever, go back again.)
    Im a huge fan of ClassTimer and OmniCC. Ill have to try ForteXorcist
    Definition of useless -

Q. Any plans for an untalented spell to help warlocks deal with stuns?
    A. Possibly. It’s also possible we may take a look at stuns in general. But overall stuns will feel less impacting in an environment where players have significantly more health than they do today.

Nugrunning is godly, it shows you the buff/debuff with the least remaining duration at the top. In t7 content, where you had 6 debuffs to watch it was a huge help for the rotation.

buttonTimers is amazing as well. You can set it up to show Cooldowns, dot times, debuffs, You can set it up to tell you when to start casting a dot. (Ex. Unstable affliction has a cast time of 1.5 Sec, so you can start casting it 1.49 secs before it falls off. You can set the timer to turn Red at 1.5 secs b4 it ends) and a few other options as well.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by TerryBogard
    Im a huge fan of ClassTimer and OmniCC. Ill have to try ForteXorcist
    I still run OmniCC. Nothing beats it.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by Varon
    I don't know if they are up to date ...
    DoTimer
    ClassTimer
    Eventhorizon

but I'm certain you can setup need to know to only show your dots
    It's true, you can. After I saw this post, I checked the settings and was able to configure it for just my dots. Only problem was, it didn't work. It was still tracking anybody's corruption, curse of affliction/doom, immolate, etc. I tried to reconfigure it several times, but I always found that it was already tracking only spells cast by me.

As another option, I've gone with Gherkin's suggestion of Forte Xorcist. The raid-wide buffs and debuffs that it tracks were a little overwhelming compared to my usual personal dot tracking I do with NeedtoKnow, but the soulstone tracking, and the recast timer for things like trinkets is pretty handy. If I can slim down Forte Xorcist, it looks like a nice replacement.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    It's true, you can. After I saw this post, I checked the settings and was able to configure it for just my dots. Only problem was, it didn't work. It was still tracking anybody's corruption, curse of affliction/doom, immolate, etc. I tried to reconfigure it several times, but I always found that it was already tracking only spells cast by me.

As another option, I've gone with Gherkin's suggestion of Forte Xorcist. The raid-wide buffs and debuffs that it tracks were a little overwhelming compared to my usual personal dot tracking I do with NeedtoKnow, but the soulstone tracking, and the recast timer for things like trinkets is pretty handy. If I can slim down Forte Xorcist, it looks like a nice replacement.
    You can slim it down, but its not immediately obvious.

type /fx
    Go to the Spell Timer section
    Scroll down a page and a half to "Coloring/Filtering" section until you see this line

Where it says "Enter ability", type what you want. It auto completes.
    Where it says Normal, change this to None to hide it or Color to change its display color. If you change it to Buff, it moves to the lower half of your spell timer.

Ta da.

R.I.P. YARG

To be honest, you don't really need to have an addon track which dots are on your opponent. When you see the enemy's debuffs under their health bar, yours appear first and the largest. Just try to train your eye to pay attention to that instead. Besides, you're destro, so you only have to worry about two debuffs at any given time. It's really not hard at all.

Not Curse of Doom, Curse of the Elements, and that stays up for five minutes so it rarely has to be recast. I've never used PitBull or any other UI addon though. Classic works fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MiyaKome
    To be honest, you don't really need to have an addon track which dots are on your opponent. When you see the enemy's debuffs under their health bar, yours appear first and the largest. Just try to train your eye to pay attention to that instead. Besides, you're destro, so you only have to worry about two debuffs at any given time. It's really not hard at all.
    Its my playstyle. I like to be able to focus on my buffs (i.e. lifetap, and Backdraft) as well as my target's debuffs/dots (i.e. curse of affliction and Immolate) at the same time as I'm looking at what I'm potentially standing in and where I need to be moving. I try not to have to look around the screen too much. It's not a a need, but it is a preference and it certainly helps me out when there's a lot going on...

Thanks Gherkin. I'll use your suggestion tonight on ForteXorcist to filter down what I'm tracking. I think I'll be able to set it up the way I need it now.