Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
  1. #121
    High Overlord Klyptopi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    155

    Re: Will Negrow get banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kentukyfried
    Exactly. It's kind of like how we don't call the people who were originally in the USA "Indians" anymore. We call them "Native American". Same basic thing. I didn't ever think that Indian was offensive, nor do I know why they were called that in the first place. They obviously didn't look like the Indian people in India. Even though I have some Native American in my family tree, I don't find it offense to say "Indian". That was just what they were called at one time. I don't think that it was ever intended as a slur.
    When Christofer Columbus arrived in the Caribbean in 1492 he believed he had reached the Indies which he had originally set out to reach.
    This lead him to call the people he encountered there Indians, and it's also the reason the Caribbean is sometimes referred to as the West Indies.

    The reason they are now known as Native Americans instead of Indians, is due to an attempt by the US Government to recognize their primacy of tenure.
    It was also used by people who wanted to get rid of the stereotypes attached to 'Indians' at the time and to find a more accurate name for the indigenous peoples.

    (You brought out the educator in me <.<)

  2. #122

    Re: Will Negrow get banned?

    Now, what the fuck does the word 'negrow' have to do with being racist? It is a literal mispelling of a word backwards to try and be clever.

    The word 'negro' isn't in the least bit racist. You ever seen a black person call another black person a negro? Or even a nigger? It happens daily. They are self applied labels, and anyone who gets offended by them is doing so for no reason. Did I enslave negros myself? Nope, that was long before my time. Am I responsible for hundreds of years of oppression and segregation? Nope, that was long before my time.

    The whole point is that until you are intentionally using a word in a racist context, it isn't inherently racist. Remember, to be racist is to hate and degrade a race of people. Calling a black person a negro is no different than a black person calling a white person cracker. Do you get all offended by it? I don't. It is a slang label, and has zero racist meaning as most people who would use such a term use it out of endearment, and not hate.

    The same goes for the word negro.

    Now, will Blizzard ban people who make worgens called Negrow? Probably not, but they will most likely ask them to change it, if it is even available in the first place.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin
    Why? Because fuck you, that's why.

    Every time you have a question that begins with "Why?" that is about what other people prefer to do with their own goddamn time, come back here, and reread the first row of this post. That will ALWAYS be the answer to your question. Have a nice day.

  3. #123

    Re: Will Negrow get banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascendant
    No shit Einstein, it's still pretty retarded to nick nigger. It's not clever, or witty, just stupid.
    I just have to comment on this. Noone ever said ANYTHING about nicknaming "nigger". They were implying negro though. Which is an intirely different word

  4. #124

    Re: Will Negrow get banned?

    "Negro" is Spanish for "Black". We'd be offending the Spanish language if we made it a bannable/renamable offense.

    In fact, "negro" is the polite and honorable way to address people of African descent in Brazil.

    Until WoW stands for "World of Whitecraft", you have to remember that different people from places outside of the U.S.A. play this game.

    Rock on, you silly Worgen.

  5. #125

    Re: Will Negrow get banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by velasius
    It's still racist because we made it racist, 99.9% of the world will call it a racist word, so to blizzard it will be racist. And it's the meaning of the word that makes it bad
    i can also make my own statistics, you are 100% douchebaggish

  6. #126

    Re: Will Negrow get banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seranna
    When Christofer Columbus arrived in the Caribbean in 1492 he believed he had reached the Indies which he had originally set out to reach.
    This lead him to call the people he encountered there Indians, and it's also the reason the Caribbean is sometimes referred to as the West Indies.

    The reason they are now known as Native Americans instead of Indians, is due to an attempt by the US Government to recognize their primacy of tenure.
    It was also used by people who wanted to get rid of the stereotypes attached to 'Indians' at the time and to find a more accurate name for the indigenous peoples.

    (You brought out the educator in me <.<)
    Yeah, I apologize for not remembering that information. I graduated high school in 1995, so it's been quite a while. I just remember the stuff that I need to get through day to day life.


    Seems like this conversation is turning from Negrow and Negro to the other N word. But I have heard some very interesting stuff from people on both sides of the fence. I really think that it depends on who you are and where you are on what will happen to you if you say any of those words. I doubt that if a middle aged or slightly younger black person heard a really old white person say "Negro" that they would get mad, since that's just what that older person knows to call them from back then. Well, they may get mad, but they wouldn't knock them out. I don't know, it's just a theory.

    Though I think that it's just that a lot of people don't want to even say any of those slangs because they are afraid of getting in trouble for using them, that's why it isn't common language of people in every race in the USA. Even on the comedy piece that someone linked a few pieces back. The white guy in the piece never once said any variation on the N word, he would always refer to his black partner to say it, and he would. That was probably part of the comedy element though, they might not have been doing that just to not offend. But really, you don't see many white people saying a variation on the N word ever. You see latino, black, and sometimes even asian comedians saying it- but not usually the white comedians. I believe that Ralphie May, Lisa Lampanelli, and maybe a couple of other white comedians will use those type words, but it's very rare. It's just one of those strange society things. Strangely though, nobody is afraid to call anyone "White Trash".

    I'm not insinuating anyway, I'm just basically saying that maybe it's society, all colors of society that has imposed all of this word usage garbage on themselves. I don't remember a lot about history from school, and I didn't get to learn much about black history because of where I am from, so I am not sure how much of an uprising there was about using those words. I wasn't born until 1977, so I missed all of the ruckus.
    Personal site: http://fuh-q.com
    My Kitteh's personal site: http://kitteh.in

  7. #127

    Re: Will Negrow get banned?

    Negrowl seemed pretty clever.

  8. #128
    Legendary! Spl4sh3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,663

    Re: Will Negrow get banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kentukyfried
    Well technically it's just Worgen spelled backwards, which is something that THEY made up. I know that it's a bit stupid and it has the double meaning, but I know that probably other people have had the idea and I thought that it would be interesting to bring it up.
    They didn't made up the word "Negrow"

  9. #129

    Re: Will Negrow get banned?

    Nothing wrong with Worgen spelt backwards...
    Why can't I upload images for my signature

  10. #130

    Re: Will Negrow get banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Merander
    but it happened a long time ago we should just forget it.
    Forgetting things is what makes history repeat itself imo.
    "Sir, we are surrounded, Sir"
    "Excellent, we can attack in every direction"

  11. #131

    Re: Will Negrow get banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kentukyfried
    Well technically it's just Worgen spelled backwards, which is something that THEY made up. I know that it's a bit stupid and it has the double meaning, but I know that probably other people have had the idea and I thought that it would be interesting to bring it up.
    You urgently need to look up the word and its origins.

    Imagine the common name for dwarves would not be dwarves, imagine it would be "Reltih".
    So it is blizzards fault if you spell it backwards you end up with Hitler?

    Dude, it is fuckin not something they made up, and they won't (and won't have to) accept you naming your toons like that.
    srsly!

  12. #132

    Re: Will Negrow get banned?


    Some people just dont get it.

    To OP and KentuckyFried; you ever heard of the word subjective?

    That means if I finds the word Negrow to be racsist to me, its racsist. Its a subjective manner. Some people might not find it offensive but i surely do, hence why i would bring in the ban-hammer.

  13. #133
    Dreadlord Sellest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kladno, Czech Republic
    Posts
    869

    Re: Will Negrow get banned?

    I feel more offended by names like DarkArthas, DKDKDK and Dárkníghtlól

  14. #134
    Bloodsail Admiral Deralte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    1,208

    Re: Will Negrow get banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chthonianklown
    Negrowl seemed pretty clever.
    i like that one

    posting in potentially epic thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •