Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Algalon Big Bang

This may have been covered already and i missed it but can a prot pally stay out and eat big bang with ardent defender?

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Algalon Big Bang

Quote Originally Posted by Gondi
    This may have been covered already and i missed it but can a prot pally stay out and eat big bang with ardent defender?
    Nope.

If BB hits for, say 90k, AD will reduce that by 30%. Since You have under 60K total HP, you die.

If you're not on 2m CD of the 'res' effect you'd like through it, technically, and have 30% health left. Hope you've got some serious inc. heals likely after that one. :P

And can't do it again for another 2.

Damage that takes you below 35% health is reduced by 30%. In addition, attacks which would otherwise kill you cause you to be healed by up to 30% of your maximum health (amount healed based on defense). This healing effect cannot occur more often than once every 2 min.

I believe you should be able to, I saw a pally take Icehowls battering charge thing in ToC 10 Man and it activated it but idk about big bang.

Killing blow will heal the paladin to certain percentage (30%) so technically a paladin can eat it with ardent defender.

Okay thanks, thats what i was wondering about was the proc

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    Nope.

If BB hits for, say 90k, AD will reduce that by 30%. Since You have under 60K total HP, you die.

Not at all

you can even eat Ascend to Heaven with AD

go try if you don't believe me

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Nope.

Yea it will.

if you dont use ur Divine Protection,

Ardent Defender will eat the big bang and you come back to life.

wow, man srsly

Nope.
    :'(

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Evereghalo
    Yea it will.

if you dont use ur Divine Protection,

Ardent Defender will eat the big bang and you come back to life.

wow, man srsly
    If you have less than 35% HP, the damage will be reduced by 30%. If you are at 35% (Lets say out of 44k HP which is 15.4k) and take a 90k BB (which does only 60k damage), you will be hit for 60k total after the Rez part of AD- Basically, the damage should carry over from the initial blast. 60,000 damage is > 15.4k + (30% HP), or 28600 HP.

Yes you can eat a big bang and live. We now do this in my current guild after the 3.2 changes. Have fun =)

15+ Year Old Account

If you have less than 35% HP, the damage will be reduced by 30%. If you are at 35% (Lets say out of 44k HP which is 15.4k) and take a 90k BB (which does only 60k damage), you will be hit for 60k total after the Rez part of AD- Basically, the damage should carry over from the initial blast. 60,000 damage is > 15.4k + (30% HP), or 28600 HP.
    Best way to put it:

Quote Originally Posted by Eremiel
    It heals you for 30% of your max health -starting after overkill-. if you have 50k hp and get a killing blow without any overkill at all, you're healed to 15k. If you get overkilled for 10k, you're healed to 5k.

If you're overkilled for more than 30% of your health, it'll absorb the killing blow, set you at 1hp and not give you any heal.

My guild found this out last week and it seems that Algalon grossly favors prot pallys. Our guild MT is a prot pally and I have been spec'ing prot for this fight. Starting the fight, the guild MT goes first. Once he gets his 4th stack, I taunt off of him. At the time of Big Bang, I have 2 stacks on me and I merely eat the Big Bang. With 2 seconds left on the Big Bang cast, I begin casting Holy Light. The Holy Light heal lands immediately after Big Bang goes off and puts me somewhere around 50% HP. With AD's debuff lasting 2 minutes and the Big Bang occurring at the same frequency, our two pallys can just take turns eating the explosion without taxing the raid at all.

This is also a great thing because we were previously using a shadow priest casting Dispersion to eat the Big Bang. The problem with this is getting a tank topside fast enough to taunt Algalon before he crushes the priest.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Prentice
    My guild found this out last week and it seems that Algalon grossly favors prot pallys. Our guild MT is a prot pally and I have been spec'ing prot for this fight. Starting the fight, the guild MT goes first. Once he gets his 4th stack, I taunt off of him. At the time of Big Bang, I have 2 stacks on me and I merely eat the Big Bang. With 2 seconds left on the Big Bang cast, I begin casting Holy Light. The Holy Light heal lands immediately after Big Bang goes off and puts me somewhere around 50% HP. With AD's debuff lasting 2 minutes and the Big Bang occurring at the same frequency, our two pallys can just take turns eating the explosion without taxing the raid at all.

This is also a great thing because we were previously using a shadow priest casting Dispersion to eat the Big Bang. The problem with this is getting a tank topside fast enough to taunt Algalon before he crushes the priest.
    How can an encounter favor an ability when it was made before the ability came out?

-Thats what we were doing it, with an SPriest- You have to cast HoP on him/her prior to dropping down so he can't Melee the priest. We'd also use our Rets and Holys to eat them if we had no Priests as well: The only thing is he might attack someone else entirely as well, but usually a tank can pick him up rather quickly.

Didn't see it til just now. The information provided in the two quotes above is inaccurate. Any amount of damage beyond what kills you and proc's the AD rez effect is wiped out. I could be sitting at 44k HP and get hit for 10 Million damage. Regardless of how much damage I take in that one attack, I will still be back to 30% HP. Combat log will show that I got hit for 44k (956k overkill). There is no carryover once AD procs.

AD doesn't care what percentage you were at before the killing blow. The proc is based on defense only. If you are Def capped, you will be healed to 30% after eating the KB.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

How can an encounter favor an ability when it was made before the ability came out?

-Thats what we were doing it, with an SPriest- You have to cast HoP on him/her prior to dropping down so he can't Melee the priest. We'd also use our Rets and Holys to eat them if we had no Priests as well: The only thing is he might attack someone else entirely as well, but usually a tank can pick him up rather quickly.
    I think you misinterpreted what I said. The encounter truly favors pally tanks now because of this talent change. It makes the fight so much more trivial during the raid-wiping ability. Also, because the pally stayed out and ate the Big Bang, he never loses any amount of threat. Not having to worry about threat resets is a huge bonus.

I never said the fight was made for prot pallys. I know the AD change just happened and Algalon has been out since 3.1. Don't confuse the point I am trying to make please.

Why not just taunt him if you have the time to BoP the Priest?
    Did I just imagine that Big Bang killed me through the bubble, or how do you eat them as Heal/Ret?

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Prentice
    I think you misinterpreted what I said. The encounter truly favors pally tanks now because of this talent change. It makes the fight so much more trivial during the raid-wiping ability. Also, because the pally stayed out and ate the Big Bang, he never loses any amount of threat. Not having to worry about threat resets is a huge bonus.

I never said the fight was made for prot pallys. I know the AD change just happened and Algalon has been out since 3.1. Don't confuse the point I am trying to make please.
    Then yes I agree: It makes the fight that much more simple, due to the tools a Prot paladin has: AD, HoSal Glyph, DS, etc. all make it MUCH easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo
    Why not just taunt him if you have the time to BoP the Priest?
    Did I just imagine that Big Bang killed me through the bubble, or how do you eat them as Heal/Ret?
    It used to not kill you when in Bubble/Iceblock, whether this has changed idk I haven't been on my Hunter for a while.

I never did Algalon so I'm wondering.... is Big Bang affected by armor?
    And Christ said to his disciples, "I shall grant you eternal Salvation!"
    The disciples fell to their knees and replied, "Give us kings n00b!".

Quote Originally Posted by Ascal
    I never did Algalon so I'm wondering.... is Big Bang affected by armor?
    I'm pretty sure it is not.