Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Prot Spec Question

Okay, I've come down to two builds but I don't know about Seal of the Pure...is :

5 seals of pure, 1 conviction

OR

3 conviction 3 crusade

better? Everything else stays the same. the rest of the spec is good

Re: Prot Spec Question

I have yet to hear anyone recommending Seals of the Pure for prot. The only change anyone has recommended is taking Vindication. In my prot build, I moved 2 points from Conviction into Vindication (leaving me 1/5 Conviction). Other than that, I am still using 2/2 PoJ and 3/3 Crusade.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

Ah yea..that starts another question then. 2/2 pursuit of justice or just 3 in conviction? I already took vindication

Quote Originally Posted by bigtox
    Ah yea..that starts another question then. 2/2 pursuit of justice or just 3 in conviction? I already took vindication
    Take Pursuit + vindication it's worth it, while 2% crit is not.

No one will ever make me believe that 2% crit as a tank is better than the 15% movement speed and 50% disarm reduction. I use PoJ in prot and ret and I WILL NOT give it up.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Prentice
    No one will ever make me believe that 2% crit as a tank is better than the 15% movement speed and 50% disarm reduction. I use PoJ in prot and ret and I WILL NOT give it up.
    That's the spirit

Okay so PoJ it is. Now for glyphs...I use the expertise one, divine plea, and ?? I've heard judgement as being one, but I just don't see my judgements hitting that high...is that the best one? And I've heard the 20% minor shield wall is really only for hard modes...idk

Maybe Righteous defense glyph??

I would believe that the last glyph slot would be either Hammer of the Righteous or Avenger's Shield. The choice would be yours. If you normally tank heroics, there is not doubt that HotR is the glyph your will want. If you are normally the main tank in a raid and want to buff your opening threat a bit (burst threat is so amazing for zerg fights and hard modes), you may want to consider Avenger's Shield. I personally use the HotR glyph.

I wouldn't use taunt glyphs. They are very situational and if you can't land either of your 2 taunts, you are just having a really REALLY bad day.

15+ Year Old Account

Okay so PoJ it is. Now for glyphs...I use the expertise one, divine plea, and ?? I've heard judgement as being one, but I just don't see my judgements hitting that high...is that the best one? And I've heard the 20% minor shield wall is really only for hard modes...idk
    Maybe Righteous defense glyph??
    I would believe that the last glyph slot would be either Hammer of the Righteous or Avenger's Shield. The choice would be yours. If you normally tank heroics, there is not doubt that HotR is the glyph your will want. If you are normally the main tank in a raid and want to buff your opening threat a bit (burst threat is so amazing for zerg fights and hard modes), you may want to consider Avenger's Shield. I personally use the HotR glyph.

I wouldn't use taunt glyphs. They are very situational and if you can't land either of your 2 taunts, you are just having a really REALLY bad day.
    If you need to use RD in a Raid, then something is wrong.

As Pen stated, go with either HotR, AS, or HoSal glyph for your third slot. The first is largely for Heroics, and both AS (or inital burst) and HoSal (added Shield Wall) are good for MT positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    If you need to use RD in a Raid, then something is wrong.

As Pen stated, go with either HotR, AS, or HoSal glyph for your third slot. The first is largely for Heroics, and both AS (or inital burst) and HoSal (added Shield Wall) are good for MT positions.
    Ronark, you are killin me. Where do you get Pen from?? Thats twice you've called me that.

15+ Year Old Account

Ronark, you are killin me. Where do you get Pen from?? Thats twice you've called me that.

My bad.
    Alienware Laptops are good for gaming, bad for typing without my G15

Looking at a combat parse of a fairly steady fight like Ignis, Seals of the Pure is adding around 5% to my overall damage (seal/dot/judge damage is just under 1/3 of my total before SotP).

Conviction adds around 0.75% per point (about 1/4 of my damage done can't crit).

Crusade is potentially more than 1% per point depending on what enemy you fight. (though you have to spend more points on conviction to get here, which is inferior).

Overall I prefer SotP.

Ive used SotP since i could put talents in it. crit is nice for tanks but here's the thing you need to remember. Your White swings fall in this table too. now if we were warriors and all attacks caused bleed dmg then id say YAY CRIT! but sotp is guaranteed 5% dmg increase which is a solid 5% threat increase
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
    Congratulations to Egypt, who after many wipes over a very long raid lasting most of the week, resulting in some very close attempts earlier this morning, has finally downed Mub'arak, earning a tribute to insanity. Now that they have completed trial, will Paragon beat them to the punch in ICC? Only time will tell. According to a very credible source, some of the loots included liberty, freedom of speech, and, most importantly, the internets.

15+ Year Old Account

When you get the full bonus from Crusade, it wins hands down. When you don't, SotP wins by a small margin.

Personally, I prefer Crusade over 5/5 SotP for a simple reason: 5/5 SotP doesn't allow me to get both PoJ and Vindication. Crusade does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Arel
    When you get the full bonus from Crusade, it wins hands down. When you don't, SotP wins by a small margin.

Personally, I prefer Crusade over 5/5 SotP for a simple reason: 5/5 SotP doesn't allow me to get both PoJ and Vindication. Crusade does.
    QFT

Quote Originally Posted by Sazbi
    Ive used SotP since i could put talents in it. crit is nice for tanks but here's the thing you need to remember. Your White swings fall in this table too. now if we were warriors and all attacks caused bleed dmg then id say YAY CRIT! but sotp is guaranteed 5% dmg increase which is a solid 5% threat increase
    Quote Originally Posted by poogle
    Looking at a combat parse of a fairly steady fight like Ignis, Seals of the Pure is adding around 5% to my overall damage (seal/dot/judge damage is just under 1/3 of my total before SotP).

Conviction adds around 0.75% per point (about 1/4 of my damage done can't crit).

Crusade is potentially more than 1% per point depending on what enemy you fight. (though you have to spend more points on conviction to get here, which is inferior).

Overall I prefer SotP.
    NOONE told you to spec into conviction in this thread /facepalm.

Getting extra damage from your tank is a great thing. Higher threat is even better, but I can't recall the last time I pulled threat off a paladin tank unless he was in blues/greens and just hit 80. Pallys have such ridiculous threat that it is getting a slight nerf. Neither our warrior nor our DKs can put up more threat than our guild MT prot pally nor myself for threat. We actually have to say something in vent when the pallys aren't tanking so that people pay attention to Omen.

Since pally threat isn't a very big deal, you should be looking along the lines of survival. Conviction, Crusade, and SotP are threat/dps talents. If you are going 5/5 SotP, you can still get Vindication, and you had better be. Just like warriors do their Demo Shout and Thunderclap, you should be spec'd into Vindication and Judgements of the Just. Knowing that 5/5 SotP means I can't have 2/2 PoJ and 2/2 Vindication, means that I will never go 5/5 SotP. The microscopic amount of extra threat I would be gaining will never be worth the survivability.

This is a matter of not being bad, focusing on survivability, and using the abilities you have as a paladin. Extra tank threat is nice, but no one really cares that you broke 2.4k DPS while tanking. They aren't looking at you as they rightly shouldn't be.

This is a matter of not being bad, focusing on survivability, and using the abilities you have as a paladin. Extra tank threat is nice, but no one really cares that you broke 2.4k DPS while tanking. They aren't looking at you as they rightly shouldn't be.
    3k+ dps on algalon <3.

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo
    3k+ dps on algalon <3.
    I was throwing out a random number because I never care to check my tanking DPS and neither does anyone else. Point proven.

15+ Year Old Account

I was throwing out a random number because I never care to check my tanking DPS and neither does anyone else. Point proven.
    QFGT