Theoretical terrain absence death

Let's say I have a character logged out in The Barrens at the location where this "lava chasm" division is going to be made. Does this character fall to it's death (assuming it's high enough) when Cataclysm hits?

Now I'm sure Blizzard already realizes this and will probably just reset every character's position to their hearth or the nearest inn. However, it would be funny if they didn't address this issue though. You'd have people logging in under new mountains too. :-X

Re: Theoretical terrain absence death

Yes.

I did the same thing in when the Stormwind harbor was finished, except it involved a lot of going around to get into the unfinished area.

I nearly fell to my death, and, incidentally, landed next to a very confused person.

I think that due to the amount of terrain that's being changed, we may very well find ourselves logging in at either our race's capital or the nearest inn.
    ----------------------------------------
    1999 - 2001: Ultima Online
    2001 - 2004: Dark Age of Camelot
    2004 - Today: World of Warcraft
    *** 19 years of MMO gaming ***
    ----------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Dalien
    I think that due to the amount of terrain that's being changed, we may very well find ourselves logging in at either our race's capital or the nearest inn.
    Yeah, or nearest graveyard. If they don't address this GMs will hate the developers on release day

I'm pretty sure all characters will have their locations reset to the nearest inn.Otherwise can you imagine the confusion and the QQ this is gonna cause?And again this just my opinion.We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Zlodo
    Yeah, or nearest graveyard. If they don't address this GMs will hate the developers on release day
    I logged in inside Varian's throne in WotLK.

That said, with this many changes, I suspect everyone's locations may be reset.

My guess is that the opening event will have everyone told to abandon everything they're doing and then go to their racial capital. And everyone will login in their racial capital with an empty quest log when 4.0 drops.

My guess is that the opening event will have everyone told to abandon everything they're doing and then go to their racial capital. And everyone will login in their racial capital with an empty quest log when 4.0 drops.
    I doubt they will do it like this - forcing everybody in the same place would be a recipe for disaster when they open the servers and everybody logs in at the same time. That's why the "nearest gy" theory seems more likely to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Failcon
    I'm pretty sure all characters will have their locations reset to the nearest inn.Otherwise can you imagine the confusion and the QQ this is gonna cause?And again this just my opinion.We'll just have to wait and see what happens.
    Everyone (on alliance) set you hearthstones to Auberdine and let's see what happens

Well if I don't see any official confirmation on this issue being addressed, I'm gonna be sure to log some alts in silly areas to see if i can reap some comical happenings.

Any of you ultra-nerds happen to be able to triangulate some coordinates (+/-5x,+/-5y) where this "lava chasm" will be in Barrens just based off the official images/videos?

Or people fall to their death and have to make a corpse run? Is it really that big of deal that you think they have to move everyone?
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Melonberry
    Or people fall to their death and have to make a corpse run? Is it really that big of deal that you think they have to move everyone?
    What if someone becomes trapped into some new building's wall or a tree, or falls underneath the terrain?
    They probably don't want the GMs to be swamped with stuck tickets on release day.
    And also, being stuck in the scenery or falling to your death isn't exactly the best welcome to a new expansion pack. Making a good first impression is important.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Zlodo
    They probably don't want the GM to be swamped with stuck tickets on release day.
    And that's exactly why you have the ability to use Auto-unstuck, Heartstone or have someone summon you

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Actually... now that I think about it, I probably want to log off somewhere that will NOT be messed up.

Hmm... Shattrath is looking attractive...

It's just a death. It's not game-breaking.

Deleted

Since Cat will make a lot of use of Phasing; I do not think that the world will look any different when you log back in again.

I believe that; As you advance via quests; slowly the world will break open. Just like Icecrown slowly changed as you advanced with the Argent Crusaders army.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyris
    Since Cat will make a lot of use of Phasing; I do not think that the world will look any different when you log back in again.

I believe that; As you advance via quests; slowly the world will break open. Just like Icecrown slowly changed as you advanced with the Argent Crusaders army.
    You are an idiot. Must I point out the facts everytime?

-Impossible. Too much memory needed to do this.

-Trailer: Classic zones forever changed by the Cataclysm

-Makes no sense storywise. How would it fall apart as you watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaru
    It's just a death. It's not game-breaking.
    ACtually, it's not. BUT, as someone who logged out in the Old Naxx in EPL for shits & giggles, I can tell you this: If you set yourself in someplace that becomes non-existent or undergoes major changes, you -could- lose teh ability to use that toon for some time.

I'm glad it wasn't my main, it took 3 weeks for Blizz to get around to pulling my toon out of wherever she got jammed.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyris

They said they would make use of phasing, yes; However, the world is being shattered by a CATACLYSM, which does not happen gradually. Phasing will be used to change certain parts of zones as you advance through them, but the world itself will be getting a major overhaul regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Stop looking for sense in a game that mails you dragons.

I really don't believe that this isn't the first thing Blizzard discussed when the idea of "Reshaping" Azeroth hit the table. I doubt they'd be stupid enough to overlook the biggest problem the release of the expansion would cause.

They will either transport everyone to an untouched graveyard/town/city, or transport the poeple who would be affected by the change to an untouched graveyard/town/city.

If this was the first thing I personally asked myself when I saw The Barrens cleaved in two during the trailer, then I'm pretty it was Blizzard's.

Although, much lulz would be had if they decided not to transport everyone, or if there was some sort of problem preventing them from doing so.
    A day is one rotation of the Earth around its axis. God created the universe in 6 days. Before he created the Earth, how did he know how long a day was?