Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Very much problems with Yogg-Saron

So dont even get me started on the small details

We are a guild filled with caster and ranged dps. We have a total of 7 melee dps all over (without tanks)

On yogg 25, we struggle alot with the 2 phase. We are overrunned with corrupter tentacels. Since we are to focus on crushers (wich is the best tactic), we fail with corrupters. Since the ppl inside the portals have to run out, get sanity, and almost run back in again, and maybe get 1 corrupter down during that time. The spawn time on corrupters are very fast.

So what to do?

We lack corrupter killing. We dont know why, and our avarage dps is 6k on each player.

Any help? Please give me a solid tactic.
    80 Death Knight
    80 Rogue
    80 Priest

Re: Very much problems with Yogg-Saron

Your melee isn't the only responsible for killing corrupters, your ranged DPS will get most of them down in between Crushers ideally.

Also, try to emphasize (sp?) about your melee not taking much sanity loss. If your group of melee can avoid running to a well between 2 phases they can egt a few corrupters down instead, saving your casters time.

The key to this fight is coordination: have all your casters stand in one group and move to the crusher as soon as possible, then focus the same corrupter when they have a chance. Also have your melee split up efficiently in the brain room to reduce wasted time on tentacles and maximize brain DPS.

Basically you should aim for 2-3 brain phases with 4 being acceptable yet sketchy. Your ranged group shouldn't have more than 1 crusher up at any given time so they can kill corrupters in between and clean the room when the tentacles get stunned and your melee group should get to the brain with 35-45 seconds to spare everytime. Those are your benchmarks.

What made it for us on our first kill was also proccing 2 guardians extras in phase 1 therefore making sure we had none up when phase 2 started (since they spawn a lot slower early in the fight). it makes it so your ranged can start right away on the first crusher and it saves your group a lot of time in the long run.

Good luck and keep trying, it's definitely an easy kill once you get to phase 3.
    Donolgann, the Astral Walker <WHATEVER WERE AWESOME>
    Magtheridon-US

Thanks for response.

We are currently on our 2 week of yogg, so that can be the problem. That we arent used to it as the other bosses etc.

Another thing is that i think the dps is to slow on the crushers, cause its not an uncommon thing that we have 2 crushers up at the same time.

Our best attempt is yogg to 48% on the 2 phase.

But if i understand it right, We need more dps to get the crushers down fast, to get corrupters down in between etc.
    80 Death Knight
    80 Rogue
    80 Priest

You need more DPS yes but that doesn't mean your raid is underperforming. As you get the coordination in and your raid gets more used to the various mechanics of the fight you'll notice a huge difference in time spent thumbing your ass :P

Yogg is the kind of fight where 30 seconds saved in the beginning can end up being worth 1 minute 30 in the end because of the way your performance in each phase affects the start of the next one. Just don't get discouraged, practice makes perfect.
    Magtheridon-US

My guild had about 4 weeks of tries on Yogg-Saron before we finally got him down.
    Practice does indeed make perfect, keep trying and improve co-ordination is what it's all about in the Yogg encounter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathflame
    Going for avoidance is like playing Russian Roulette.
    Quote Originally Posted by GaaraofSand
    It's time to eat Grandpa!
    It's time to eat, Grandpa!

Grammar.. it saves lives.

Phase 2 is what Yogg is all about. We ran it last time with only 5 melee (me being one of them). Your melee needs to get better at avoiding skulls in the brain... I go through 2-3 phases with out replenishing sanity and I have only done it 3 times. If they can get better at using the mouse to turn and strafe it will help as well

When we got him down for the first few tries we had to do it this way...
    Spawn an extra add in phase 1 to make it go faster... Well we'll skip phase 1 as you said your having trouble on the second phase..

If you have 8 melee dps, i think theres 10 portals on 25 man.. so have a healer and a range so in with them.. When we were getting used to the fight we all ran left to minimize the dmg/sanity loss from the skulls inside, then on the secnod lot of portals use the 8 melee in portals a healer and a shaman for bloodlust on the brain, use haste pots etc and you should get it done in 2 if you say your guild has 6kdps on average... use BL on the second portal because if you use it on the first there won't be to many Corrupters up and the range will be stood there doing nothing, use it on the second and theres usually quite a few, so the range can take care of a few, even if you don't manage to get it down in 2 as long as no one goes insane and theres no stupid deaths you should have it in phase 3, then we just leave the Corrupters and have melee on adds and range on boss..

Phase 2 is the hardest phase by far of the fight, so just keep practising

The fight is hard to master and seems very difficult but once you get it once you will find it a cake walk.. Just keep practising

Just one more thing, if you're going to send ranged in the brains, try to have to most "bursty" ranged DPS (Boomkins for starfall, arcane mages), the best of them being probably a hunter for aspect of the pack.
    Magtheridon-US

You're saying you're having 2 crushers up a lot at the same time. This doesn't need to be the fault of the ranged DPS outside but might very well be caused by your melee dps. While Yogg is stunned (aka killing all corrupters downstairs so the way to the brain room is opened), he doesn't spawn any additional adds, including crushers. So if the stun is coming early enough (usually somewhere around the 40 second mark of induce madness), the second crusher won't spawn (unless the very first portal phase, when it's about 1 minute until portals). This also leaves you enough time to kill corrupters.
    P2 is all about the brain group, no matter what classes / specs you're using. While doing +4, of course it's not totally needed to have every stun on 40+ seconds but it would help your ranged / caster dps a lot.

Good luck while progressing!

Deleted

We usually have all casters DoTing the corrupters when they're running from a crusher to get in range of another. The melee usually kill the tentacles inside the brain so fast and watch where they're facing so no1 looses any big ammounts of sanity. But if someone gets low sanity they go and refill it ofc, but most melee are so high on sanity its not needed so we just nuke the corrupters down asap. We usually get at least 2 of them down between each phases.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account

Star off nice and slow with this.

First thing's first, you're passing phase one, but not necesarrily correctly. How many adds are up when you transition into P2?

Any more than 1 or 2 and you're looking at a tough time getting the first crusher down before the second spawns.

Once into phase 2, is someone actually interrupting the channeling that the crushers do? If not, your entire raid is debuffed with reduced damage by 20%. Having a tank melee hit the boss and then dodge out until it begins casting again will prevent it from keeping this debuff up on your raid and increase your dps tons.

Once that's taken care of, how fast is your melee/brain group reaching the brain? With 4 keepers up, they should easily be able to freeze the brain with >35s on Induce madness. Ask them how close they are to that, and if it's real far off, make sure they're taking correct portals and not wasting time scrambling for new portals.

***Bonus tip!***
    There's 10 portals. If north is 12 on a clock, then portals spawn at all the numbers on a clock but 5 and 7. Assign spots for your 9 melee/1healer (use a druid!).
    ***End bonus tip!***

Blowing heroism in the first brain phase downstairs leaves the melee enough time to get another heroism around 45s before enrage in P3.

Once that's settled, how fast is the melee getting yogg to 30%? 2-3 phases is preferred, though with 4 keepers you could do 4 phases, but shouldn't need to.

As for corruptor killing, our melee doesn't even get to kill a full tentacle usually. We run to our portals at around 12-15s to ensure that we enter immediately. This means the ranged need to kill crushers ASAP and dps the crap out of the corruptors once the crushers are dead. Keep in mind that these aren't that terrible to handle, and you can even easily kill the boss with a few up at the end. Heals are easy outside, so healers should spam dispels when they can.

Finally, one glaring question.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifepain
    Since the ppl inside the portals have to run out, get sanity, and almost run back in again.
    How are people running out of sanity? Tell your melee to face away from the skulls inside. You can strafe around them without looking at them and take no sanity hits. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but not every brain phase. Tell your entire raid to RUN AWAY from whoever gets feared; >>>It chains!<<< Tell whoever gets brain linked to meet up faster. If it's melee+ranged, have the ranged follow the melee to their portal.

Phase 1...joke

Transition melee kills tentacles other than crushers until 10-15 secs before portals.

Phase 2...melee takes portals, starts in a clockwise postion all together and dpses every tencales all the way around...never stopping to attack...just attacking all tentacles along the way. DPS brain and jump out at 5 secs left. While out, melee refreshes sanity if below 50% and rushes back to their designated portal local. Take portals...rinse repeat until yogg is 30%. Melee does NOT take time to dps crushers or corrupters between portal phases in phase 2...they need to be ready to jump in portals as soon as they're up. Since you are caster heavy...send hunters into portals with speed buff. Shamen inside portal burns Heroism dpsing brain during the torture portal scene...as you'll be finished with adds sooner on that one than the others.

Phase 3. Casters dps Yogg, melee faces away from yogg and without using AE attacks, assist trains adds down. Casters need to turn away from yogg immediately during stares. Hunters and afflicion locks can help melee with adds if neccesary...classes that don't use long casts to dps. Shamen pops heroism for casters (melee will be immune since they got it in the brain room), and the casters take down yogg.

WIN
    When you shoop da whoop, you feel powerful and don't want to lose it, and then a guy in plate armor comes and turns your woop against the shoop, hence, making you got laz0red.

Guild No Quarter - www.nqguild.org

You will have a half dozen more corruptors up over the course of the fight when it takes 30 seconds to stun yogg than if it takes 20. When the portals are done correctly it is very hard to fall behind. Your portal DPS needs to improve if a crusher ever spawns while melee are in the portals.

Have your Locks, Hunters, Shadow Priests, Boomchickens and Mages DoT up the corrupters throughout the phase. and win.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    Rule #84 of WoW: Saying "Rotation" doesn't automatically make you a good player... or even a competent one.

15+ Year Old Account

One of the biggest pointers I can offer, and what I find to be the biggest difference in the success or failure of Phase 2 is everyone assigned to go downstairs MUST take the portals as soon as they spawn.

With 10 seconds left on the timer for portals to spawn, make sure everyone is in their assigned spot. This is by far the most crucial part of the encounter IMO for a few reasons.

1. If everyone gets down their right away, DPS time on the brain is maximized (we open the doorway to the brain room on average with about 40 seconds left).

2. Once you open that brain room, everything up top stops spawning until the portal phase ends. This means no extra tenticles leaving your ranged group 40 seconds to finish off anything up top.

3. This minimizes sanity lost and people don't have to spend time regaining sanity which is a loss in dps.

Give it a try. Have all of your melee and whatever ranged you send below (hunters work very well) get to their portals with 10 seconds left on the timer, ready to go down. I promise it will make things easier for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Callsign Grunge
    Have your Locks, Hunters, Shadow Priests, Boomchickens and Mages DoT up the corrupters throughout the phase. and win.
    This.

What makes Hunters that useful in the brain room? Is it the instant shots or what? As a Hunter I find it hard to shoot the tentacles without looking at a skull since I have to have a little bit of range. I haven't done Yogg in a while though, so maybe it just takes practice that I don't have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weerra View Post
    Casual/hardcore and skill/noskill are not related.
    You can casually raid a couple short nights per week, and if you are skilled, you will clear that content eventually.
    Or you can bang your head on it every night for 5 hours straight and eventually you will clear it even with crap for skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabu34
    What makes Hunters that useful in the brain room? Is it the instant shots or what? As a Hunter I find it hard to shoot the tentacles without looking at a skull since I have to have a little bit of range. I haven't done Yogg in a while though, so maybe it just takes practice that I don't have.
    Aspect of the pack. More time on the brain means less time before the tenticles are frozen and more dps on the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifepain

Another thing is that i think the dps is to slow on the crushers, cause its not an uncommon thing that we have 2 crushers up at the same time.

This is a common misconception.

Honestly, I'm willing to bet that your REAL problem, and you don't know this because you haven't killed him yet, is slow dps in the illusion room.

You have a MAX of TWENTY second to get all of the tentacles down in the illusion room, so that it post-pones the spawn of the second crusher.

This entire phase, if not fight, is about learning the illusion room perfectly.
    When you start getting tentacles in the illusion room down in exactly or less than 20 seconds, you're dps on the top will easily be able to keep up with ALL of the tentacles on the top.

USE ALL TEN PORTALS, While you are learning the encounter, this can not be stressed enough. STRESS that by 40 seconds left on the madness channel they MUST have all tentacles down.
    When your dps is slow in the bottom, it makes the top look worse than they actually are.

And also remember to get your tanks to melee the crushers, a melee hit from tank (hunters pets work to iirc) interrupts Diminish Power, and although he recasts it straight after it has a cast time and thats 20% more damage for pretty much all the time.
    Dont stand there trying to tank it, just run in, hit it, run out.
    Good luck!
    ~Stayven