my opinion on some loot systems

I know i'll probably get flamed as just some stupid casual Noob for this but does anyone else find that some loot systems ONLY give gear to those who would "like" the new gear rather than "need" upgrades. I mean if someone's truely stupid they don't deserve gear until they can figure out their class (that's just a given).
    Say a guild has a loot system that anyone who just joined the guild ( just being around 3-4 weeks) is on loot probation, now figure that there are 3 tanks in this guild, one is completly geared for the tier of content, one doesn't show up and the last is new and can upgrade from just about every boss. This might sound selfish but if I'm the "new guy" I'm not going because I'm not getting anything and the whole "let's get another tank so that we can raid more" impetus to recruit me is utterly lost. (I use tanks because I was one and tanks are really scarce on my old server).

on a second note, having alts/casual raiders have a harder time gearing up makes "casual raiders" become an I don't care about raiding if I can't upgrade my X crafted epic/naxx epic to Y Uld epic because someone who's a "core raider" just went from T 7.5- T8 when I'm rocking my ebonweave/spellweave chest.

my third and final point is that there is rampant favoritism in 95% (made up statistic regarding a gross majority) competent raiding guilds saying that well tank A is on always and has some upgrades (yay) but tank B (sad man) is the guy who only gets on to do dailies and some raiding same gear (exact for argument's sake). they get in and "poof" an awesome upgrade for both of them drops, most of em will say well we like A more, A is on more often, A loves GM dearly ( jk) etc. and just give A the gear and B is just goin I just wasted 3-4hrs raiding for absolutely NO benefit besides doing the raid which now a days is an exercise in who can keep calm the longest (this works for very low drp rate stuff like trinkets, hardmodes and algalon)

in summary
    Can someone tell me how Loot probation for new members who have very very large upgrades from a raid gets them to raid even if they can't get a piece of gear.
    Can anyone tell me how to find a guild that I'll get a fair chance ( as in I'm here I killed the guy he dropped my stuff I have a fair opportunity to get it) to get upgrades AND be able to beat say all normals from uld and some of TotC. ( if possible)
    finally, what do the good guilds use as a loot system that both encourages recruitment and gets people to push the hardest content

Re: my opinion on some loot systems

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleina
    I know i'll probably get flamed as just some stupid casual Noob for this but does anyone else find that some loot systems ONLY give gear to those who would "like" the new gear rather than "need" upgrades. I mean if someone's truely stupid they don't deserve gear until they can figure out their class (that's just a given).
    Say a guild has a loot system that anyone who just joined the guild ( just being around 3-4 weeks) is on loot probation, now figure that there are 3 tanks in this guild, one is completly geared for the tier of content, one doesn't show up and the last is new and can upgrade from just about every boss. This might sound selfish but if I'm the "new guy" I'm not going because I'm not getting anything and the whole "let's get another tank so that we can raid more" impetus to recruit me is utterly lost. (I use tanks because I was one and tanks are really scarce on my old server).

on a second note, having alts/casual raiders have a harder time gearing up makes "casual raiders" become an I don't care about raiding if I can't upgrade my X crafted epic/naxx epic to Y Uld epic because someone who's a "core raider" just went from T 7.5- T8 when I'm rocking my ebonweave/spellweave chest.
    wut @ the bolded. Contradictory...

Loot probation is stupid. Guildie favoritism is also a first sign of bad things to come.

No one can tell you how to find a guild, since we arent on your server or even know what your faction is

and just give A the gear and B is just goin I just wasted 3-4hrs raiding for absolutely NO benefit besides doing the raid
    3-4hrs and you are that pissed off?Man you must learn that when you raid you dont always benefit from it.Many people will have more dkp to spend than you.Many people will roll higher numbers than you.Many people will be considered to have tried more than you and be rewarded for their effort.

You can't do many things about it.Just every single time give it your all and when you really need an item,go for it.

Can someone tell me how Loot probation for new members who have very very large upgrades from a raid gets them to raid even if they can't get a piece of gear.
    Honestly, if you are getting "very very large upgrades" from a raid, you are undergeared for it. Crafted/heroic gear means you should be running Naxx/Uld for gear and farming conquest badge gear. You are an applicant for the guild, they don't know you yet, if you will fit into the mentality/play style of the guild. Why would they give something to someone who might disappear after a week or two? For most guilds(not all), an application process is a chance to prove yourself. Look at it from their perspective, if you showed up to one of my raids and complained about not getting a piece of loot, I'd think you were a gear hungry loot whore and would probably get rid of you because you'd just be a drama liability down the line.

I've recently changed guilds about half way through Ulduar(old one kinda fell apart to the summertime slump). I apped for a new one, and picked up things that were going to rot for a few weeks during my app process. It's the way it worked, and I accepted it. My patience has paid off, and now I'm on the same playing field as all the other members pushing the latest content.

Can anyone tell me how to find a guild that I'll get a fair chance ( as in I'm here I killed the guy he dropped my stuff I have a fair opportunity to get it) to get upgrades AND be able to beat say all normals from uld and some of TotC. ( if possible)
    Most guilds you have to go through an app process, some of them may be desperate to pick up a pug or two(these guys are probably hurting from the summer slump and may give you an equal chance). The simple fact is, most established guilds have loot rules to protect their members, so that member X who has been waiting 2 months for drop Y doesn't finally see it drop and member B who just showed up last week gets it, then never comes back.

finally, what do the good guilds use as a loot system that both encourages recruitment...
    Loot systems don't attract people to guilds, kills and attitude do...

...and gets people to push the hardest content
    ...and they only get there by equipping their members.

I don't think you are some stupid casual noob, just realize what you are getting into before you join a raid. A raid/guild leader should have no problem either explaining them to you, or directing you to a place that they have them posted(like their website). If someone does have a problem explaining it, then I'd see that as a red flag, and would keep my distance from that guild.
    If you are looking for instant gratification I would look to pugging, and getting some emblem gear. Work your way up. Good luck!

I see more good in giving gear to someone new who may ebay a week later than I do in sharding/vendoring/giving to someone for offspec/sidegrade for someone else.

but I also see utility in gearing up the guy that has been around and is reliable over the guy who just joined and may ebay a week later.

However, as a tank you have VERY little reason to complain about loot distribution these days.

Typically speaking a raiding guild will have at most 3 "primary" tanks and one or two people who are actually healers/dps that collect some tank loot "just in case".

Given that of these tanks only pallys and warriors use shields and one handed weapons, and druids don't even wear plate... depending on what tanks your guild uses you may not have anyone competing with you for the same gear, at most 2 others.

Where as if you are a cloth dps, you may have as many as 10 people wanting essentially all of the same items as you.

/violin