T9 Bonuses for a Disc Priest

As a PvE disc priest, I love the T8 4-pc bonus. It's pretty much a flat out 250 spellpower increase, it's almost always up. The T9 bonuses seen pretty good, but I still like the T8 better. At what point would it be worth it to start upgrading to T9, losing my bonus? Also, about the 4-pc T9 bonus...it the 10% increase to divine aegis a 10% increase to each shield, making it 33% of every crit, or another 10% of each crit, making it a 40% shield?

15+ Year Old Account

Re: T9 Bonuses for a Disc Priest

From what i understood of the set bonus it was 40% of each crit instead of 30%. Although you've made me a bit unsure myself now. :-\
    I'm currently using the 2 peice bonus simply because of the stat jump and at present i'm not finding much need to roll shields on the raid as much as i did when we started hardmodes. Overall though i'd say don't replace the t8 until you can complete the t9 4set.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlikeoverlord
    As a PvE disc priest, I love the T8 4-pc bonus. It's pretty much a flat out 250 spellpower increase, it's almost always up. The T9 bonuses seen pretty good, but I still like the T8 better. At what point would it be worth it to start upgrading to T9, losing my bonus? Also, about the 4-pc T9 bonus...it the 10% increase to divine aegis a 10% increase to each shield, making it 33% of every crit, or another 10% of each crit, making it a 40% shield?
    If someone has the two piece they could test this fairly easy. They could duel someone, and heal themselves. If they crit for 5000, check to see if the shield is 1650 or 2000. Whichever it is will answer it. (being in a duel so you can see how much each particular shield absorbs)

Or you could do it with a holy priest. Use renew, add up all of the ticks. Multiply that number by .165 or .25 and whichever it is, is the answer.

To me, it seems fairly obvious that the empowered renew one would only get 1.5% more increase, the 10% increase would be probably too much for the instant heal off of renew - considering they just nerfed 4pctier8 for druids.

Anyone have an answer for that?

I made a thread about this somewhere to ask the same question, but didn't get an answer.

Though it could really be either, I just cannot think the 4piece is a percentage of a percentage. It would be such a minor buff that I would completely ignore the 4piece.

I'd rather think that its 10% added to the coefficient. This seems like a satisfactory 4piece for the 2nd to last tier for an expansion.

If anyone has some "real" evidence on this (ie-blue post or has obtained the 4piece already and tested), it would be nice to know. (i.e.- no "lawls its obviously a % of a % cause if not it would be OP!!!!! Nerf Priests!!!!).

The nerf of the 4pc-druid tier 8 was made up with the OP idol they can get with the new badges. Have you seen that thing? 100% uptime, its sick. I'm glad my druids are on my side. =)

Wow, 70% proc chance on gaining 234 spellpower from a rejuv hot tick? That is.. OP. I'll take 234 spellpower in my wand slot, please. PLEASE?!

I dont see how that necessarily pertains to the 4pc tier 8 though, since that is an instant heal unless that counts towards triggering the spellpower.

Ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by Firegod1385
    Wow, 70% proc chance on gaining 234 spellpower from a rejuv hot tick? That is.. OP. I'll take 234 spellpower in my wand slot, please. PLEASE?!

I dont see how that necessarily pertains to the 4pc tier 8 though, since that is an instant heal unless that counts towards triggering the spellpower.

Ah well.
    I mean, whatever extra throughput they lost in the 4pc tier 8 they gained in that idol. My druids are healing for more now then they were before 3.2, with 4pc nerf+new idol.

Anywho, more on priest 4pc t-9, less on druids.

All I can say is...

4pc T9 + Val'anyr = /drool

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslick
    All I can say is...

4pc T9 + Val'anyr = /drool
    What he said.

I'm gonna use T8.5 for a while, using my emblems on the trinket, and make sure tanks and other healers that benefit from the T9 get it first. If all my other items will be 25 ToC heroic (like that neck from twins, and that yummy staff at the end of the trial) I don't think I'm gimping myself if I keep 4x T8.5

I don't think I'm gimping myself if I keep 4x T8.5
    I understand you may want to let those who are getting a bigger upgrade by not loosing an incredibly 4pc get it first, and that is all well and good. But yes you are flat out horribly gimping yourself if you do not switch to the ilvl 245 set and drop your 4pc. The crit and sp difference on the chest piece alone is ~32 spell power and ~32 crit. Yeah you may end with a slightly lower spell power if you consider the 8.5 4pc to have near 100% uptime, but you are passing up a huge mound of crit and haste.

So when you said that, I hope you really meant "I don't think I'm gimping myself if I keep 4x T8.5 while the first pieces go to the raiders who will get bigger upgrades, and I will anxiously await my chance at 4pc 9.245."

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshou
    I understand you may want to let those who are getting a bigger upgrade by not loosing an incredibly 4pc get it first, and that is all well and good. But yes you are flat out horribly gimping yourself if you do not switch to the ilvl 245 set and drop your 4pc. The crit and sp difference on the chest piece alone is ~32 spell power and ~32 crit. Yeah you may end with a slightly lower spell power if you consider the 8.5 4pc to have near 100% uptime, but you are passing up a huge mound of crit and haste.

So when you said that, I hope you really meant "I don't think I'm gimping myself if I keep 4x T8.5 while the first pieces go to the raiders who will get bigger upgrades, and I will anxiously await my chance at 4pc 9.245."
    I dont think switchign a 250 spellpower bonus is worth switching for 32 crit / 32 spellpower. Thats a loss of 218 spellpower for a measly amount of crit. At that gear level, his crit is probably in a pretty good spot. Letting his other guildies get the upgrades to them will be nice considering that spellpower is huge.

I'm pretty sure he agrees with all of tier 9 being better than his tier 8 (t9 4 piece looks sexy as hell) but to break up the 4 piece for 1 piece of tier 9 is what he was stating would be foolish, and I agree.

And I'm pretty sure what you said IS what he said. He will be going for different upgrades (Neck/staff) while letting the other people get their tier pieces first because they benefit more from them.

The 8/8.5 set bonus is "nice". Really, it is. But it's situational. Some fights, due to positioning, you can't really shield an offtank so you're wasting a Global Cooldown to shield a DPS whether they need it or not (Twin Valkyr comes to mind as an example. Not a difficult encounter, but spread the fuck out kind of example).

Wasting a Global Cooldown to increase Spellpower (see: Thoroughput) is not really increasing your thoroughput.

10% mod on Divine Aegis is.

And let's face it, the gap from t8.5 to 9.5 is a decent jump in statsoverall, so it's not like you're "losing" 250 Spellpower. Pick up the new gear, drop some Int Gems for SP gems and tada, you've got it active even BEFORE you shield. Plus an even sexier set bonus.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by [-Spiritus-
    ]Though it could really be either, I just cannot think the 4piece is a percentage of a percentage. It would be such a minor buff that I would completely ignore the 4piece.

I'd rather think that its 10% added to the coefficient. This seems like a satisfactory 4piece for the 2nd to last tier for an expansion.

If anyone has some "real" evidence on this (ie-blue post or has obtained the 4piece already and tested), it would be nice to know. (i.e.- no "lawls its obviously a % of a % cause if not it would be OP!!!!! Nerf Priests!!!!).
    I don't have any evidence, but I do have some logic to my reasoning. Compare the bonus on Divine Aegis to Empowered Renew. It seems more clear to me that the instant portion of Empowered Renew is all that is affected and not that it's an addition 10% of the total amount added to the instant portion. I'd also suspect that both bonuses are roughly worth the same, so it's probably a percentage of a percentage and I'd expect that it's effectively 33% and not 40%. Also remember that Blizzard completely underestimated how awesome PWS spam as Discipline for some encounters and probably didn't expect much more than about a 1/3 uptime on the 4pc buff for Discipline rather than a very high uptime like most of us are likely achieving.

Even if it were 40% and not 33%, I'm not sure if that would immediately outdo what is essentially a flat 200-250 SP until you got enough pieces of the set to make up for some of it. I suspect most Discipline Priests will be sticking with 4pc 8.5 and replacing Gloves, Shoulders, or Pants (depending on which is best, I haven't run the numbers) from T9 to replace a Haste Piece with a Crit Piece until they can pretty much complete the full set.

On the plus side, at least this 4pc bonus is actually useful to Holy, and it's actually pretty sweet for us Renew junkies.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuq
    I don't have any evidence, but I do have some logic to my reasoning. Compare the bonus on Divine Aegis to Empowered Renew. It seems more clear to me that the instant portion of Empowered Renew is all that is affected and not that it's an addition 10% of the total amount added to the instant portion. I'd also suspect that both bonuses are roughly worth the same, so it's probably a percentage of a percentage and I'd expect that it's effectively 33% and not 40%. Also remember that Blizzard completely underestimated how awesome PWS spam as Discipline for some encounters and probably didn't expect much more than about a 1/3 uptime on the 4pc buff for Discipline rather than a very high uptime like most of us are likely achieving.

Even if it were 40% and not 33%, I'm not sure if that would immediately outdo what is essentially a flat 200-250 SP until you got enough pieces of the set to make up for some of it. I suspect most Discipline Priests will be sticking with 4pc 8.5 and replacing Gloves, Shoulders, or Pants (depending on which is best, I haven't run the numbers) from T9 to replace a Haste Piece with a Crit Piece until they can pretty much complete the full set.

On the plus side, at least this 4pc bonus is actually useful to Holy, and it's actually pretty sweet for us Renew junkies.
    I don't discount the notion that it could be a % of %. Its just such a puny bonus for a 4piece, I refuse to believe it till I see it.

I can see Disco priests holding onto their 4piece a little longer than many classes, however, the added stats on t9-25 (besides SP) are rather sexy.... and I doubt people will wait until they have a 4piece t9-25 till they replace their 4piece t8.5.

Quote Originally Posted by [-Spiritus-
    ]
    I don't discount the notion that it could be a % of %. Its just such a puny bonus for a 4piece, I refuse to believe it till I see it.

I can see Disco priests holding onto their 4piece a little longer than many classes, however, the added stats on t9-25 (besides SP) are rather sexy.... and I doubt people will wait until they have a 4piece t9-25 till they replace their 4piece t8.5.
    Agreed. And like Kelesti pointed out, unless you're already in pure SP gems, the upgrade is probably even better than it looks because with all the extra Intellect, and to some extent Spirit, you can probably get rid of most or all of your Int gems, so I could easily see that by 4 pieces of the set when the bonus is possible that it's quite possibly a worth the trade. And, of course, that doesn't even consider the T9.258 which will definitely be worth the upgrade from stats alone by the time you can get the 4 piece bonus.

I dont think switchign a 250 spellpower bonus is worth switching for 32 crit / 32 spellpower.
    Firegod, Im sorry, but are you are really dense... That was the upgrade on a SINGLE piece going from 8.25 to 9.245. Obviously 1 piece alone with no set bonus gains is not better than 8.25.

Edit: Also it seems people want to compare the +250 bonus to the new 10% one, which is meaningless since it isn't a +250 gain at that point since you would already have 4pc 9.245.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumdumdumdum
    I'm gonna use T8.5 for a while, using my emblems on the trinket, and make sure tanks and other healers that benefit from the T9 get it first. If all my other items will be 25 ToC heroic (like that neck from twins, and that yummy staff at the end of the trial) I don't think I'm gimping myself if I keep 4x T8.5
    /sign

It may sound a bit generous, but imo we (healers in general) don't need t9 to get ahead in hardmodes. There will be enough HM encounters which require high dps/high tank hp, and that's why we should roll on t9 tokens at last. Skill is deciding, gear is secondary. Apart from that the 250 SP t8 bonus allows to keep it as long as possible, because it's way better than t9, that's a fact. For my part I will roll on nonset-pieces first. Many of my raid-members will save their points for t9, and I hope that is my key to get other nonsets (mainhand from anubarak!!!11).

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshou
    Firegod, Im sorry, but are you are really dense... That was the upgrade on a SINGLE piece going from 8.25 to 9.245. Obviously 1 piece alone with no set bonus gains is not better than 8.25.

Edit: Also it seems people want to compare the +250 bonus to the new 10% one, which is meaningless since it isn't a +250 gain at that point since you would already have 4pc 9.245.
    I'm not dense, I clearly understood what you meant and sorry for not communicating myself better.

My point was, he wouldnt BREAK his 4pc for 1 piece of tier 9, correct? Thats just silly, we all get that.

So he would have to get multiple pieces BEFORE switching them. Which means he would take them from his raid, and they would sit in his bags until he got xx more pieces to make the switch worth it. When other people could be USING them in that time frame, which to me seems like a bit of selfishness vs raid support.

Sorry, I should have made myself a bit more clear