Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Here's to hoping the new raids make ranged think a bit.

I'm melee, Blizzard likes giving bosses whirlwind. That's fine with me but i'm sick of seeing LF DPS need RANGED because it's the easiest way to play.

So I was thinking what kind of mechanics could they add that will make the WHOLE raid have to think instead of spamming and loling at melee classes?

I was thinking it would be cool for a bosses Room to be part of a boss fight, instead of the boss throwing out spells everyone has to watch out as a multitude of traps and adds come out of random places.

I suppose this is a QQ thread but I was just wondering if anyone else (including ranged) would like all dps to have more responsibilty in raids?

Re: Here's to hoping the new raids make ranged think a bit.

... Isn't this why we have gas clouds etc you have to move away from? Just asking ;D

well obviously movement would hurt the ranged player's damage or healing unless they have instadamage/instaheals that they could work with. I really can't think of something like that atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Elementium
    I'm melee, Blizzard likes giving bosses whirlwind. That's fine with me but i'm sick of seeing LF DPS need RANGED because it's the easiest way to play.

So I was thinking what kind of mechanics could they add that will make the WHOLE raid have to think instead of spamming and loling at melee classes?

I was thinking it would be cool for a bosses Room to be part of a boss fight, instead of the boss throwing out spells everyone has to watch out as a multitude of traps and adds come out of random places.

I suppose this is a QQ thread but I was just wondering if anyone else (including ranged) would like all dps to have more responsibilty in raids?
    You haven't downed Kelthuzad on either mode, obviously you haven't been to any fights that require ranged to not suck.

The reason you see "LF Ranged" is not because its easier, its because they need it to balance the raid. Anyway blizzard makes some encounters melee friendly and some encounters caster friendly etc. For example Mimiron (Pain for melee, cake for ranged), then the next boss General Vezax(Cake for melee, pain for casters).

Also there are more melee specs at the moment than ranged so its harder to find a ranged to balance the raid which leads to "LF Ranged" in chat.

So, Razorscale, Hodir, Thorim, Mimiron, Assembly of Iron, Kologarn and Auriaya don't hurt ranged and healers in some way ?
    (That's as far as I have been, and yeah, I'm ranged)

P.S. Here's to hoping that melee will learn to move out of the damn whirlwind (hint: fire is not the only thing that hurts), so I don't have to look at 4 dead melee DPS after the first Sentinel at Razorscale....
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Have you ever raided in Ulduar??

1) Hodir melee just sits on his a$$ while range has to adjust/move the whole fight unless they stand next to the camp fire

2) Freya spawns her healing trees (Touch of Eonar) that range has to take care of. while melee gets 2 stay on adds till freya is rdy

3) XT-002 who do you think stays on adds, while melee sits on his heart?

4) Mimron, do u wanna kill the Bomb bots?

5) General Vezax melee sits on the boss the whole fight while ranged is running around like chickens with heads cut off trying 2 avoid Shadow Crash, Mark of the Faceless, while Aura of Despair cut off mana regen. Oh and guess who has 2 destroy the Saronite Barriors? melee? i dont think so

and theres alot more but obviously you haven't been in Ulduar much

10+ Year Old Account

In most PUGs I join, there's usually way more melee classes already in the raid, hence why the leader will poke around for ranged.

Though, I do agree, melee is more challenging, therefore more fun, than ranged in raids.

I don't normally do the armory thing, but 10-man arachnid quarter doesn't really qualify you (the OP, that is) as an expert on how easy it is to raid as ranged.....
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Stevegasm
    In most PUGs I join, there's usually way more melee classes already in the raid, hence why the leader will poke around for ranged.

Though, I do agree, melee is more challenging for me, therefore more fun for me, than ranged in raids.
    fixed.....
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ox Big
    Have you ever raided in Ulduar??

1) Hodir melee just sits on his a$$ while range has to adjust/move the whole fight unless they stand next to the camp fire

2) Freya spawns her healing trees (Touch of Eonar) that range has to take care of. while melee gets 2 stay on adds till freya is rdy

3) XT-002 who do you think stays on adds, while melee sits on his heart?

4) Mimron, do u wanna kill the Bomb bots?

5) General Vezax melee sits on the boss the whole fight while ranged is running around like chickens with heads cut off trying 2 avoid Shadow Crash, Mark of the Faceless, while Aura of Despair cut off mana regen. Oh and guess who has 2 destroy the Saronite Barriors? melee? i dont think so

and theres alot more but obviously you haven't been in Ulduar much
    I'm sorry, but I think you haven't done any hardmodes in Ulduar so far.

1) Hodir -> The tank has to move with the encounter all the time so the melees have to follow him. The melees always have to have the cloud on them and so they have to get it sometimes from frozen players. The melees always have to stay in the light and therefore look for the next possible light spot.

2) Freya -> If there's a tree, even the melees may attack it. For example the ranged have to focus the snaplasher. Or you all have to bomb those litte adds. You can't say that's all ranged work.

3) XT-002 -> EVERYBODY stays on the heart. Even the healers. Otherwise it would be pretty hard to get into the hardmode.

4) Mimiron -> No ranged damage dealer would attack the bombs. They all have to stay on the flying head and on the emergency bots. You have a second tank who taunts the bombs or you have a DK who deathgrips them. I'd really love to see you do Mimiron hardmode as a melee. I think it's the worst hardmode for all melee classes in complete Ulduar.

5) Vezax -> You're right. The only thing the melees have to look out for is, to counter him. And that's just if the played class is able to counter. Here it really is more work for all ranged.

Like shade of aran 2.0?

e.g. Thorim - blizzard around the room, and lightning wave.
    XT decon giving light/gravity debuff.
    Mimiron all over the area.
    Yogg.
    Freya.

Meh, there's not really a lot that " dont " make you think about survival.

There are definitely some easier elements of being ranged, I'll give you that. Putting out consistent dps on a boss that is being moved within a confined area is much easier as ranged.
    However, I find that playing ranged RIGHT is no easier than melee, and in fact could be considered more difficult in many encounters. You have to consider that in any fight that requires precise and dynamic positioning (ie the majority of ulduar hardmodes), a ranged dps has a much larger area to consider than melee. Melee pretty much has to be within a certain small area at any given time; the main rule is just DPS the boss, and if you're getting blown up, run away. As ranged, a whole cadre of new considerations comes into play: distance from healers, distance between players (there is a lot of chain lightning in the game now), staying near enough to the boss that you don't lose all your dps moving between every cast just to stay within range while the tank moves, a variety of ranged-only dangers (eye beams, napalm shells, global interrupts on Freya hard and Ignis, Vezax in general), not to mention things like Mimiron hard fire kiting, which is generally the role of ranged. Granted, I've done ranged more than melee dpsing, but the way I see it, all melee has to do is follow the boss and press their buttons in most encounters.
    Oh, whirlwind is killing you? I'm so sorry! Taking four seconds running out then back in is really rough! Don't think you're the only ones that have to do something to keep yourselves alive.

By the way, 90 percent of all my raiding I'm healing, I'm well aware of the sources of potential damage that ranged and melee have, and I assure you that the ranged have quite as much on their plates as melee.

Edit: To clarify, napalm shells are not avoidable, I suppose they fall under the "don't be too near to others" category. Nevertheless...

so is there anything Not in ulduar that makes ranged have a challenge? from everything ive seen in the game (and no, i havent raided much) ranged is much easier than melee, simply because you have a bigger range so you dont have to move as often.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    It does no one any good to make GhostCrawler the scapegoat for all design decisions you disapprove of. Not how reality works.
    https://twitter.com/CM_Zarhym/status/275712376840531968

Not in ulduar?? The original purpose of this thread was to suggest that ranged needed more responsibility in the next content; to exclude ulduar from consideration of the current state of the game would be ignoring the part of the game that retains a modicum of difficulty!

Quote Originally Posted by Draektath
    I'm sorry, but I think you haven't done any hardmodes in Ulduar so far.

1) Hodir -> The tank has to move with the encounter all the time so the melees have to follow him. The melees always have to have the cloud on them and so they have to get it sometimes from frozen players. The melees always have to stay in the light and therefore look for the next possible light spot.

2) Freya -> If there's a tree, even the melees may attack it. For example the ranged have to focus the snaplasher. Or you all have to bomb those litte adds. You can't say that's all ranged work.

3) XT-002 -> EVERYBODY stays on the heart. Even the healers. Otherwise it would be pretty hard to get into the hardmode.

4) Mimiron -> No ranged damage dealer would attack the bombs. They all have to stay on the flying head and on the emergency bots. You have a second tank who taunts the bombs or you have a DK who deathgrips them. I'd really love to see you do Mimiron hardmode as a melee. I think it's the worst hardmode for all melee classes in complete Ulduar.

5) Vezax -> You're right. The only thing the melees have to look out for is, to counter him. And that's just if the played class is able to counter. Here it really is more work for all ranged.
    QFT, im the BombBots Tank, =P DOOMFIRE EVERYWHERE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimlor
    Deleted half the thread and gave someone a well deserved ban.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this forum is NOT grammar school, this forum IS a gaming community. We ask everyone to post in their best-as-possible English.

We do NOT want to see people getting bashed for poor English writing skills. I read the OP's post and I understood him perfectly fine if I put some effort into it. If you are unwilling to put effort into reading a post, please don't put effort in writing your unwanted opinion about it's grammar/spelling/choice of words.

Quote Originally Posted by Narveid
    ... Isn't this why we have gas clouds etc you have to move away from? Just asking ;D
    that and mechanics like in ulduar for ranged. /thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jezpalulaj
    As ranged, a whole cadre of new considerations comes into play: distance from healers, distance between players (there is a lot of chain lightning in the game now), staying near enough to the boss that you don't lose all your dps moving between every cast just to stay within range while the tank moves, a variety of ranged-only dangers (eye beams, napalm shells, global interrupts on Freya hard and Ignis, Vezax in general), not to mention things like Mimiron hard fire kiting, which is generally the role of ranged. Granted, I've done ranged more than melee dpsing, but the way I see it, all melee has to do is follow the boss and press their buttons in most encounters.
    I think the chainlightning thing is a problem for the ranged AND the melees. For example Thorim HM. The only problem is, that as a melee you have to look out much more for the range to the next player. We have just a small inch to the next player because the radius is definately smaller then from the ranged. You as a ranged or as a healer have more spots to fill in the whole room and definatley more space.

Melee might get eyebeams as well as ranged an healer. Napalm shell is another thing. As a melee you are also able to get ist. The problem about napalm shell is, that it doesn't hit just one melee. Most the time it hits more than one. And if you aren't quick enough with your healtstone or with your pot it's hard work for all your healers to keep all melees alive.

And as I said before. Mimiron is a hard bos in HM. Try it once as a melee. You have to look out for a lot of stuff.

But please don't get me wrong. I don't try to tell you playing a melee is harder. I think every raidrole may be hard to play sometimes. It just depends on the encounter. I for example wouldn't like to change spots with a ranged at Vezax.

In my opinion most encounters are pretty balanced for all of us. This time it's good for melees, next time it's pretty good for ranged. There's not much we have to complain about.

Melee isn't harder to play then ranged in raids.
    Seriously, I raid with my rogue and it's probably the easiest char to raid with.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Thanks bbr, great game!

No range NEVER has things to worry about in fights. Have you done fights like Mimron or Hodir? Yeah, us ranged have NOTHING to worry about and can stand in one spot with out having to move or think...we don't have to play tanks on like phase 3 Mimron or DPS Ony out of phase 2 to bring her ass out of the air, not like her Deep Breaths hurt or anything (I am talking updated Ony raid on old Vanilla WoW). Us ranged never has to worry about things like crowd control....what an easy time we have.
    Cooler Master HAF X : Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz : Corsair A70 cooler : 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP : ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO/Gen3 : EVGA GTX GTX 670 FTW SIG2