Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Reporting posts and you

There's been a fair bit of confusion over how exactly the Report Post button should be used, if it should be used at all. I'm going to try and clear some of that up and help you help us clean up some of the spam that's floating around the forums.

What "report post" button?
    There's actually 2 report links spread around the forum. For reporting posts, you can see "Report to Moderator" at the bottom right of the post you wish to report (Screenshot), for reporting private messages you can find "Report to Admin" in a similar position at the bottom right of each PM (Screenshot).

Ok, and what does it do?
    When you report a post on the forums, an email is sent to any moderator who the forum decides is responsible to deal with that post. For example, reporting a post on the Rogue forums sends one to the global moderators + Grindfreak, but reporting a post in the BG forums will only alert the global moderators. That is because some forums have certain people dedicated to them - namely, the class forums.

This email tells each moderator 4 specific things: Who reported the post (Not that important), why they reported the post (Very important), what post it is (Very important) and who posted it (Slightly important). When we receive a post report, we generally look at the post, see if the reason given is valid (Or if we see any obvious other things while we're there, great), and deal with it accordingly. We also tend to go through the recent post history of the offending user and the thread it was in to see if there's any further action that needs to be taken.

So why should I use it? Isn't that your job?
    There's over 1,500 posts a day, and only about 15~ moderators who will be online during that day (on average). With this in mind, we literally cannot go through every post and pick out the bad ones. So that's why we need your help - if you see any posts you feel go against our Forum Guidelines, then please report it and tell us why! If nobody reports a post, there's a very small chance we will notice it, but if it is reported it'll be dealt with very quickly.

So how exactly do I use it? I go through each post in a thread and hit report?
    Basically, yes, but we'd much rather you didn't do exactly that. To report a single post, simply click the appropriate link and give us a simple reason. But if there's multiple posts in a thread that needs cleaning up, then to some moderators it may look like you're spamming a single post (Due to each post having the same name). To avoid this, you can report a single post, give a reason, and point out that other posts in this thread are violating the rules/offensive (Links are an optional but are a great help).

My page timed out while I was reporting a post. Do I send it again?
    Ok, this one's a tough one. There's a very known issue that the website will stop loading (time out) when you're reporting a post. It's up to you if you want to try reporting it again, as sometimes it worked but didn't show you and sometimes it didn't. A general rule is try again a single time if it fails, but don't do any more than that (Max 2 reports).

Do we get any reward for this?
    You may have a cookie. Terms and conditions apply.

Why does the post report link say "Report to Moderator", but the PM one say "Report to Admin"?
    That's not a mistake. For privacy reasons, only Administrators have access to private messages and only if someone reports the PM in question. For this reason, it may take a little longer for PM related issues to be dealt with.

Are there any restrictions on reporting posts?
    Please, only report posts for the following reasons:
    • It's against our forum guidelines.
    • It's offensive or abusive.
    • It's blatant spam, flaming or trolling
    • The user in question has a signature or avatar violation.
    • To request the thread be stickied.
    • To request the thread be moved, locked or deleted (If you're the author).
    Anything else would be considered abusing the reported post tool and will be dealt with. There is also a 15 second limit on reporting posts to discourage spam reports, so you may have to wait before reporting multiple posts. If you constantly find that you're running into the time limit, then please consider that you're spamming a moderator and there may be an alternative (See "reporting multiple posts").

How can I be sure at what point it is ok to report someone?
    Good question, and I can't think of a good answer! If you find yourself hovering over the report button for a post because you're not sure if it's report worthy or not, report it anyway. You won't be sending out that many reports if you stick to the "one report per thread" rule, and it's better safe than sorry. If you do find yourself sending a report once a minute though, then I'd suggest having a little break from the report button ;P

Some people report every post they see while others report only in emergencies (links to viruses etc). It's entirely up to yourself what you think is "report worthy", but remember that it's us, not yourselves, who makes the final decision over whether or not the post is worth deleting, the poster worth punishing, etc. The report post tool is just a way of saying "hey, there might be something over here worth looking at", not "This post is 100% spam. Ban this user and delete his posts!" (Some people do that )

How will I know if a post has had action taken against it?
    If a post has received an infraction, there will be a red icon card () visible in the bottom right next to the "report post" link. However, when you see this icon, please don't make replies in the thread pointing it out or mocking some one for it. You'll only be hurting yourself if you do this.

I have another question.
    Post it in this thread and I'll see what I can do
    Last edited by Elysia; 2012-05-27 at 08:42 PM.

Re: Reporting posts and you

When "not" to use it, might also be useful.
    (e.g. you disagree with someone, but the post is still good)
    Especially as you already said, it's not a good idea to report 2+ posts from the same thread due to the flaw in the system.

There is a forum redesign in the works though, will the report functionality also be taken in mind with this and re-worked/improved?

Also, the "omg i got a 15 second post limit warning". Waiting 10 seconds, then trying to report again, waiting 10 seconds then trying to report again. Won't work.
    You have to wait a full 15 seconds after that message shows up.

ps: Cookie, nau!

Deleted

Added a section on restrictions, I hope that covers your queries?
    As for a redesign, you'll have to wait for an admin to answer that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinnerbone
    Added a section on restrictions, I hope that covers your queries?
    As for a redesign, you'll have to wait for an admin to answer that.

*To request the thread be moved, locked or deleted (If you're the author).
    If a thread is wrongly posted or should be locked. e.g. questions in the guide area, or "what class should we roll" in general, I'm fairly sure it doesn't matter whether the thread owner requests it or anyone else.
    That probably falls under the general guidelines though, and thus you already covered it.
    Heh, answered the question myself while typing the question... >_>

And there's still the matter of that cookie...

Deleted

If it was posted somewhere incorrectly, like a question in the guide area or a "what class" thread, then yes anyone should report it. But sometimes people want their own thread locking, deleting or moving for whatever reason in which case they can request via the report tool

In regards to the cookie, Bibi has it!

Well, I was wondering about it myself a few days ago, so I'm happy that there is this thread now, but I still got a question (and I hope it's not already been answered and I missed it).

While it is easy to tell, what in general is against the forum guidelines, there are far too many posts to report every single one, that might only slightly be against them, but also many, where it is easy to tell that it doesn't belong on the forums.
    My problem is with what is in between. I don't realy know at what point something gets report-worthy.
    For example, when does some fooling around and a little funny spamming, or just joking turn into blatant spam?
    I like to help a little bit, by using the report button know and then, but I don't want to spam the moderators.

Or in short: How can I be sure at what point it is ok to report someone?

It probably comes down to common sense, but if you have a tip on that, it would be appreciatet, since you get no feedback from the moderators by reporting posts otherwise and I don't want to end up banned, because I spam-reported
    Quote Originally Posted by Parynziux
    So, you are clearly the biggest nerf to your class. Hush.

Deleted

Good question, and I can't think of a good answer! If you find yourself hovering over the report button for a post because you're not sure if it's report worthy or not, report it anyway. You won't be sending out that many reports if you stick to the "one report per thread" rule, and it's better safe than sorry. If you do find yourself sending a report once a minute though, then I'd suggest having a little break from the report button ;P

Some people report every post they see while others report only in emergencies (links to viruses etc). It's entirely up to yourself what you think is "report worthy", but remember that it's us, not yourselves, who makes the final decision over whether or not the post is worth deleting, the poster worth punishing, etc. The report post tool is just a way of saying "hey, there might be something over here worth looking at", not "This post is 100% spam. Ban this user and delete his posts!" (Some people do that )

Re: [FAQ] Reporting posts and you

I find myself often reporting posts, to alert the moderators that the user has a signature too large for the forums. It's not that the image itself is too tall. Usually, I see signatures that are so wide that there is a scroll bar to see the entire image's width. Or, I see signatures with three different images. Obviously, three 100 pixel tall images in one signature makes 300 pixels tall. Or, I see signatures with just text, that are dreadfully long. I've seen three quotes taller than, if it would've been an image signature, would have been 200 pixels tall.

I understand there is a forum redesign currently in the works. I'm quite excited for that. However, are you planning to implement a system for reporting signatures specifically? I understand that the whole idea of multiple users reporting something and then making the signature/post removed could be exploited in many ways. I understand the moderators are busy on more important issues than a tall signature. If somehow a system could be implemented, it would greatly increase speed when loading the page.

The suggestion that some sort of script is written in so that signatures can only be so tall sounds good. However, I'd also like to address avatars. A size limit on those would be great. I understand the benefit of an animated avatar. They are much more intricate than simply an image. However, when the avatar is 1.2 MB, it gets irritating.

Well, that's my post. Just wanting to know if you're implementing any sort of system for signatures and avatars to reduce the use of the report function for signatures or avatars that are too big with the forum redesign. Also, any ETA besides SoonTM?

Thanks. --EpicPhoenix

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by EpicPhoenix
    I understand there is a forum redesign currently in the works. I'm quite excited for that. However, are you planning to implement a system for reporting signatures specifically?
    Again, not something I can answer I'm afraid

The suggestion that some sort of script is written in so that signatures can only be so tall sounds good. However, I'd also like to address avatars.
    But also impractical, and a good way to kill the server or the users connection depending on how it'd be implimented. There's no way to know how big an image actually is unless it's downloaded and parsed, so there'd only be two (that I can think of right now) ways to do that:
    - Every time someone changes their sig or their avatar, the server downloads any images in the sig/the avatar itself and checks the sizes. This would allow for a nice way for someone to crash the website by making the server constantly download the images, and can easily be fooled by changing the image on the place you uploaded it to after the forum gave it the OK.
    - Every time a user sees an avatar/signature, some javascript checks the sizes after it's finished downloading and hides it if required. This would hide huge sigs/avatars, but you'd still have to download the sigs/avatars as normal which causes some people long page load waits.

Well, that's my post. Just wanting to know if you're implementing any sort of system for signatures and avatars to reduce the use of the report function for signatures or avatars that are too big with the forum redesign. Also, any ETA besides SoonTM?
    Yet again, you'll have to wait for bibi or some admin to come along to answer that I'm afraid

On avatar preference set, run script:
    public boolean CheckFileSize();
    if (SizeInKBs > 300) return false;

Post changing is an issue though, true.
    Could be solved by having a MMOC image host. Also, further limiting the filesize to 30-40KB if needed, so as not to be using too much bandwidth that way.
    Similar for signatures. Or use a html inset in the sig space, so at least they can't bloat the forum view.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by bbr
    On avatar preference set, run script:
    public boolean CheckFileSize();
    if (SizeInKBs > 300) return false;
    Again, it doesn't know the filesize unless they upload the image or it downloads it. Nobody really uploads their avatars, instead linking to external hosts, which does mean we could probably force them to upload it instead but would eat up a lot more bandwidth, and the site struggles on patch days as it is :P

Quote Originally Posted by bbr
    Similar for signatures. Or use a html inset in the sig space, so at least they can't bloat the forum view.
    That lets people intentionally hide 50mb images on a page and only those who view the source would know where it's coming from.

Instead linking to external hosts, which does mean we could probably force them to upload it instead but would eat up a lot more bandwidth, and the site struggles on patch days as it is :P
    Maybe try a cooperation with an external host.
    They're getting leeched as it is.

Stuff like imageshack allows you to upload once, but not "modify" the picture iirc.
    If you could get a similar setup sorted with another imagehost that's willing to help out, you could even setup the restrictions on site.

Deleted

Good suggestions, but again nothing to do with me and should be taken to the suggestions forum really :P

(Though, as a personal project, not MMOC related, I am working on a forum system and will keep an eye on any ideas related to sig and avatar restricting :)

Good suggestions, but again nothing to do with me and should be taken to the suggestions forum really :P

(Though, as a personal project, not MMOC related, I am working on a forum system and will keep an eye on any ideas related to sig and avatar restricting :)
    I'd work for MMO-Champion, confirming/denying avatars/signatures for 10 bucks an hour. Totally.

Anyway, it's cool to hear you're making a forum system yourself and wish you the best of luck.

I'd have to say bbr's idea of MMOC image hosting site would be nice.

With MMOC having an image hosting site, you could upload an image to the website and select "Avatar", and then have it be confirmed/denied by the server, same for signature. In fact, if you were feeling extra mean, you could make it so only images hosted by MMOC, and under your profile, could be [img] linked. Mwahahaha, the thought of no more "Cool Story Bro" pictures makes me giddy.

you could make it so only images hosted by MMOC, and under your profile, could be [img] linked. Mwahahaha, the thought of no more "Cool Story Bro" pictures makes me giddy.
    Indeed, that'd be quite perfect :P

Deleted

I've seen lots of spammers recently posting only to advertise some new miraculous scam/phisher/keylogger/etc they've just made up, posting all over the forums where most users can see them. Lots of people are replying to these, saying it's a scam/etc, but amazingly nobody seems to want to report them and they'll be on here for a few hours until they're finally noticed by a moderator wandering the forums.

Why are people reluctant to report posts, even ones that obviously have to be removed asap? Please report any posts you think break the rules, especially if it's been there for so long that you'd think someone else has already reported it.

Deleted

Re: [FAQ/Important] Reporting posts and you

Can I also please start reporting threads about "Who would win a fight?"?

Thank you!

Why are people reluctant to report posts, even ones that obviously have to be removed asap? Please report any posts you think break the rules, especially if it's been there for so long that you'd think someone else has already reported it.
    I'd say for exactly the reasons stated - everyone thinks that such an obviously reported post has already been reported and doesn't want to be responsible for contributing to reported post spam in your email (and on your phone!)

On another topic, is it reasonable to report a new thread started about a topic that already exists with an active thread? (We had two threads with the name "Flying Horse" as the top two threads at one point tonight).

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Somnio
    Can I also please start reporting threads about "Who would win a fight?"?

Thank you!
    Yep. They're spam.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorque
    On another topic, is it reasonable to report a new thread started about a topic that already exists with an active thread? (We had two threads with the name "Flying Horse" as the top two threads at one point tonight).
    Report the newest one and say something like "Please merge into [link to main thread]". We have a handy tool for turning two topics into one big one

This crazy fad that's been going on lately, just quoting threads and writing nothing of value kind of in the same sense as 'QFT'ing, annoys me greatly.

Should i keep reporting the offenders or am i just annoying the mods?
    It directly violates the forum guidelines though and for some reason, it just sets me off.
    So i report it whenever i find it, and as you can see in my sig i try to inform people too.