Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...

Re: The direction of the shadow priest

Quote Originally Posted by mattinu
    Hmm I don't know how this change is actually a buff for me with my 383 spirit since 3/4ths of my gear is without spirit :s http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...rest&n=Mattinu

And about our damage on the bosses in hc trial here is a log of our guild's first kills on the first 2 bosses http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/0...um/damageDone/

I don't see myself low so I don't know really know what to say. All I do is dot snobolds and focus on Gormok. Phase 2 I make sure I keep VT and SW:P on the add we're not nuking and in phase 3 I make sure I have my shadowfiend up when he's stunned + heroism.

For all the people saying that multi-dotting is cheating the meters I don't see it like that. We are not meant to be a single target dpser that's why not all of our dots have a 'This spell can only be active on a single enemy target at a time'. Granted we fall behind when we have nothing else to dot but in multi-add encounters you can do some good overall damage if played well.
    I don't see what fight this is, previously thought it was faction champs due to the Creature tab showing rather oddly named creatures... FCs is too much of an extreme variable if that's indeed what fight it is...

As for the minor buffs we're getting... I expect a 70sp permanent increase isn't going to change for us all that much (Most SPriests have avoided spirit gear thus far, and this in no way makes it more valuable than the gear we have been getting instead)... But it is a start, we're getting attention.

Edit: The link seems to show the first 3 bosses with MANY MANY wipes... Excess time for the priest's dots to run their course and others to fall behind. Not only that but Beasts is supposed to be one of the fights we can do well on, you move on to Jaraxxus and the dps from the priest starts showing again.

I assume this is non-heroic, how geared would you say the rest of the dps is compared to you?

Edit2: Lol I'm a noob with WoL

Quote Originally Posted by Raunyc
    I don't see what fight this is, previously thought it was faction champs due to the Creature tab showing rather oddly named creatures... FCs is too much of an extreme variable if that's indeed what fight it is...

As for the minor buffs we're getting... I expect a 70sp permanent increase isn't going to change for us all that much (Most SPriests have avoided spirit gear thus far, and this in no way makes it more valuable than the gear we have been getting instead)... But it is a start, we're getting attention.
    Go to where Full Report is at the top > Kills > Select the boss log you want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground
    The Shadow priest buff is coming, they are beginning to do it for 3.3 and you will see some vast improvements. Just check the new notes already, they are at least making a crack at it anyways.
    The Shadow Priest "buff" that you've been talking about, we've been waiting for it since 2.0. Come on already.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    The Shadow Priest "buff" that you've been talking about, we've been waiting for it since 2.0. Come on already.
    soon!
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

While the spirit change going to 20% is nice, i'm a little be confused about the spirit tap change.

I this to address a dps change or a mana consumption change?

Either way, if the changes go live, I don't ever see Spirit Tap dropping..... ever....

especially with the amount of crit high end raiders have.

Now if only they'd buff VE.... i'd be a happy camper.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

Quote Originally Posted by Direshadow
    While the spirit change going to 20% is nice, i'm a little be confused about the spirit tap change.

I this to address a dps change or a mana consumption change?

Either way, if the changes go live, I don't ever see Spirit Tap dropping..... ever....

especially with the amount of crit high end raiders have.

Now if only they'd buff VE.... i'd be a happy camper.
    They want imp Spirit tap to be more useful, now that it has 3 chances to proc every mindflay, its going to be sweet. it will be a permanent 33% while casting pretty much, in addition to the VT replenishment. This is both a PvP and PvE buff which is good. Not to mention if you have meditation you will no long go oom ever, especially with dispersion. As for VE, I wish they would allow atleast 1 of out DoT abilities have a chance to apply VE, or even make it proc on mind blast.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

They want imp Spirit tap to be more useful, now that it has 3 chances to proc every mindflay, its going to be sweet. it will be a permanent 33% while casting pretty much, in addition to the VT replenishment. This is both a PvP and PvE buff which is good. Not to mention if you have meditation you will no long go oom ever, especially with dispersion. As for VE, I wish they would allow atleast 1 of out DoT abilities have a chance to apply VE, or even make it proc on mind blast.

It's more me wanting them to buff the healing of VE. Dunno if you have your healing visuals turned on, but when you're dpsing, and you see your party gaining ticks of VE for "96HP" it's kind of pathetic...

Makes you even wonder why the hell we're still REQUIRED to get that stupid talent in order to get shadow form.

The icing on the cake though, is when people bring up VE, Ghostcrawler and the other Blizz employees defend it like it's actually a helpful group talent. They make it seem like raid leaders would SERIOUSLY want VE in their raid...

Half the time they put me in the wrong group because they don't even notice it.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

Quote Originally Posted by Woony
    You realize that Blizz just buffed the fuck out of Shadow in 3.2? (at least PvP wise)

they CHANGED things, they didn't make spriests better overall though

mindflay still snares them, ROOTS US
    mindflay still ticks late, in the time it takes you to get the first tick on MF, a ret pally has hit you for 10k damage and knocked MF back a tick, so you trade 3-6k damage for 10k damage, ouch

people are still dispelling and bubbling, iceblocking, etc the hell out of VT even with the penalty buff. it just doesn't matter enough.

the 20% ms built into a PVE talent was just stupid. notice how mages got the same thing built into a PVP talent?

VE has been nerfed to the point that you can melee someone in pvp who has JoL on them and get more hp back that way. i swear to god, try it.

they changed spriests and didn't address the problems spriests had in pvp.

change isn't always good, just different. blackout proc'd 3 times per minute on average. we get 1 PH per 2 mins

BAD

As for VE, I wish they would allow atleast 1 of out DoT abilities have a chance to apply VE, or even make it proc on mind blast.
    No bad... there are specific circumstances where I don't want VE on my target. I want the choice to apply VE and 1 GCD every 5mins equates to such a small DPS loss as to mean nothing.

And before you argue that I should always want VE up, Yogg phase 3 is a prime example where you want to limit the amount of global threat you output. There is nothing to gain using VE in this phase except for aggroing adds and getting yourself killed. You might argue tanks should be able to taunt them easily enough and if you get aggro the tanks are bad, keep in mind some of those adds spawn in places that makes them run directly through the brain making it extremely difficult for tanks to target them. You are just better off not generating any global threat.

True, but would the threat generated in situations like that really be higher than, for example, the healers?
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

With Blizzard homogenizing classes and emphasizing "bring the payer not the class", shadow does need certain buffs to compete, but we should be making suggestions comparing apples to apples, nothing drastic.

1- Like Balance druids, incorporate the 20% spirit buff into Improved Shadowform and and make twisted fate intelligence based (similar to the Balance tree's Improved Moonkin and Lunar Guidance Talents). This would maximize our talents more and have us benefit more from our gear(which will always have intelligence but not spirit) rather than our current situation where we scale badly.

2- Make better use of our current talents, atm Twin disciplines is only affecting DP and SW:P in the standard rotation since SW is very situational. Why not go with a talent like "When SW crits, the C/D on you MB is reduced to 0". Adding a talent like that allows us to re-incorporate SW, make better use of Twin Disciplines and Twisted Faith (both mandatory talents that are not being maximized), and (finally!) give us more benefit from haste from having more chances to use MB, and less time to get in our 2 MF between MB's due to the need to cast SW and refresh DoTs.

3- Glyphs. Most of us having been using SW:P/Shadow/MF since day one... Incorporating #2 would make SW Glyph viable, giving us more options. That or throw us a bone and give us a creative glyph of VT

I read on these forums the best idea for Imp VE.

Make VE automatically apply to your own spells, it's a buff to you so its active on you instead of your target.
    Improved VE procs like Improved Leader of the Pack, any spellcrit going out heals for 4% max hp, can't happen more than every 6 seconds.

It'd be nice, it'd go in addition to Judgement of Light, and it wouldn't be overpowered but still contributing something.

Although, making VE trigger on Devouring Plague wouldn't be a bad thing either. *shrug*
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Shadow Priest is a Hybrid class, 2 Healing and 1 DPS (contrast to Shamans / Druids). That said, they probably shouldn't be pumping out as much raw DPS as say a Rogue, Warlock or Mage. However, being a RL I would never EVER leave a SPriest out of a Raid. They're a very consistent class with high survivability and nice healing on themselves.

It's like Ele / Enhance Shamans. They're a Hybrid class and therefor you rarely see them on top of meters unless you're on Vezax / Hodir. Spriest viable in a Raid environment? Definitely.
    Signature size violated forum rules.

Nobody is asking for Shadow Priests to be putting out the same damage as the pure classes. They are asking for Shadow Priests to put out the same damage as the other Hybrid classes, considering we don't bring any unique buffs (unlike a Shaman, for example, which has Bloodlust and of course various totems) or a unique class skill (like battle-res with a Druid). We also bring Misery for the spell hit, which is overwritten by the Boomkin buff, and Replenishment, which is brought by about 5 classes now.

So Misery is pretty much our biggest draw, if you don't have a balance druid, since they would do superior DPS in the same level of gear since they scale better than us.

Edit: Sorry, forgot about our awesome passive party healing with VE.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon
    True, but would the threat generated in situations like that really be higher than, for example, the healers?
    I believe they were thinking about taking away the threat from VE, so if they do combine it with a spell, the odds of it being threat free will be high.

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon
    I stupidly put VE up one time and I got killed... so while it might seem it would never happen, it can and the point is why open yourself up to the possiblity, things don't always go according to plan.

Then they could make it automatically applied by SW:P and make the healing cause no threat. Sorted.

Wonder what the rotation would look like if we had a talent that whenever you crit with mind blast, SW cooldown goes to zero, and when you crit with SW, your mind blast cooldown goes to zero. Combined with a talent you can pop to get a extra x% crit on the two spells, and it would offer both a decent burst option with PvE, but not so much with PvP.

Random idea tiome, woo.

As far as direction goes, I honestly see them either adding a unique buff for shadow priests, some way to scale with haste, or increased damage. (single target)

There's nothing else they can do really.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeeBa
    When I was a kid, my parents would lock me outside and make me play all day in the hot sun. Now kids these days play on the internet all day and their parents give them web cameras and let them play video games. I don't know what's happening to the world anymore...